McDonalds is good!!

nam14uk
nam14uk Posts: 556 Member
Caught your attention?! I thought so!

This morning instead of going to my regular gym classes I went with friends to cook breakfast at Ronald McDonald House in London. It houses the parents of sick children who are at St Thomas' Hospital in London. We all bought breakfast foods and cooked up a storm in their kitchen to feed all the parents before they went off to see their kids. It was such a humbling experience to meet the parents of such unwell children and hear their stories of what they have been through. They were all so grateful that we gave up our time and money to let them kick back and be waited upon, even if just for one morning. We had music on and were a lively change to their otherwise quite dreary morning.

The charity is set up and run by McDonalds and is all over the world (started off in the States). Instead of just donating money to charity I prefer to do something useful. By no means am I forcing or telling anyone to do this but if anyone feels so inclined then look up Ronald McDonald and all you need to do is to speak to the manager of the house and pick a morning or evening and get some friends together, buy the food you want to cook and off you go!

We've already planned our next trip there but this time to cook dinner (plus wine) so that when the parents get back after being in the hospital all day they don't have to worry about cooking and can chill out (and hopefully laugh some as well - probably at us)!!!

So even though McDonald's is generally shocking in terms of it's food, i it has set up something really helpful. A lot of the families live miles away - too many to commute so this place is a saving grace and one less thing for them to think about.

Replies

• Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    I agree, i do think that establishment is a great thing. and thanks to you for taking some time to help others! I do wish they'd look at how much MORE they could do by offering truly healthy fast food options! they could change how the world looks at fast food! :-)
  • naesdestiny
    naesdestiny Posts: 677 Member
    I donate to the Ronald McDonald house through work and I do it every year. It is so worth it! And a lady I work with has a grandchild that is very sick & her son and his family stayed there while their child went thru their complications. It's nice knowing someone that has actually been there and you know that the Ronald McDonald house has helped them so much. Its a great feeling!
  • dreamweaver47
    dreamweaver47 Posts: 6 Member
    HOW SWEET AND THOUGHTFUL OF YOU TO TAKE THE TIME AND YOUR MONEY TO GIVE TO SOMEONE ELSE IN NEED.GOD WILL BLESS YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR KINDNESS AND CARING OF OTHERS.YOU REALLY TOUCHED MY HEART.

HAVE A BLESSED DAY,
    ALICE
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Wow! That brings tears to my eyes! Such kindness is truly appreciated when a child is hospitalized/ill. There is no pain like that of watching your child suffer.

My own daughter was hospitalized and nearly died two years ago from pneumonia complications. The kindness of friends, family, and even strangers was overwhelming! It renews your faith in people.

You rock!
  • thepurplestar
    thepurplestar Posts: 28 Member
    Fantastic :)
  • nam14uk
    nam14uk Posts: 556 Member
    Thanks! It really was such a worthwhile experience that in definitely going to repeat!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    * LIKE *:love::flowerforyou:
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    The McDonald House Charities is an awesome organization. My son was in the Hospital in Cincinnati and we lived in Alaska, His Doctor told us that the surgeries and the recoveries would take about six months. It is hard being away from home, and your family ( we had two other kids at home) for that long. However, it was a lot easier with the help of the Ronald McDonald house.
    I am forever grateful to them.
  • You are an angel to those families. My family and I had to go to Utah where my son was staying at the time; It was so wonderful to have had Ronald McDonald House to help us out with a place to stay. We ended up staying there for two weeks.

The only thing they require of you is that you clean and vacuum your room before leaving. God Bless Ronald McDonald House!