Still look awful in skinny jeans. Alternatives?

I've officially given up on skinny jeans. I went and tried on a size 26 today. They fit but made me look gargantuan. I still have slight saddlebags and "hip dip"/protruding hipbones even at a size 2/4. My hiking pants make me look thin http://www.rockymountaintrail.com/Patagonia/Women's_Knifeblade_Pants/83285/detail . Any ideas on fashionable jeans that could look good on a 28-year-old with slight saddlebags. I've been wearing skirts and dresses pretty much exclusively since bootcut jeans went out of fashion

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    Wide Leg.

I think a lot of people look like crap in skinny jeans. I dont know if they do not realize it? or just because its a fad, does not mean everyone should follow it.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    I am guessing you have not done any weight training? That type of exercise makes an attractive body shape.
  • intrepidelephant
    intrepidelephant Posts: 100 Member
    I am guessing you have not done any weight training? That type of exercise makes an attractive body shape.

I work 12 hours a day pushing a mower and swinging around a line trimmer. I have 20% BF. No time or energy for weight training
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member

I work 12 hours a day pushing a mower and swinging around a line trimmer. I have 20% BF. No time or energy for weight training

Then you don't have time for fashion either.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Skinny jeans don't look good on everyone. Just like low rider jeans don't look good on everyone. Just wear clothes that you like and that fit you well.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    I quite like straight leg cut jeans since they still offer a bit of balance for us large hipped ladies.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Skinny jeans don't look good on **any** one. Just like low rider jeans don't look good on everyone. Just wear clothes that you like and that fit you well.

fixed that for ya :-P
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    I will third the recommendation for straight leg jeans. Skinny jeans are not flattering for all bodies. Not even all weight trained bodies.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Dark blue, bootcut jeans would probably be better.
  • Janautical
    Janautical Posts: 75 Member
    I think maybe you should throw out the idea of flattering and just wear what you want. I'm really fat and I wear "skinny fit" jeans and I get plenty of compliments. Sure, I wear them with long shirts or tunics that help trim out my body shape, but I mean, I'm fat. No cut of jeans is going to hide that, you know?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    since I had to look them up, I thought I' share with everyone.

Saddle bags (in bikini)

reiterhosen_01.jpg
    (in jeans)
    saddlebags_1_.jpg

from the front

c49f5a70b1f682668cd87067628ee8c4.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Hip dip

tumblr_inline_mqrsglC3FN1qz4rgp.png

6ae5d3a0e2885d4288fca50ab13a12d9.jpg

tumblr_m1lz49SpHQ1qeu3jjo1_r1_500.jpg

...seems similar, or stemming from the same issue. (notice I did not say flaw/problem, to me noone in their right mind would find the second girl unnattractive and i found NUMEROUS pictures celebrating this figure feature.
  • intrepidelephant
    intrepidelephant Posts: 100 Member

Saddle bags (in bikini)

reiterhosen_01.jpg
    (in jeans)
    saddlebags_1_.jpg

from the front

I'm like the second pic. Size 4 saddlebags... ): Also hip dip. The thinner I get, the more my hipbones stick out

tumblr_mju0bqNTdm1rs376co1_400.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    So far I found two jean "fixes"

that help that.

hsk2.jpg
    hsj1.jpg

dark boot leg.

also maybe if you try a skinny jean that is not so stretchy or actually any jean that is not so stretchy it will offer more support and less "give" to smooth you out?

overall though, I strongly suspect that since you are rather slim it probably overall looks more appealing than you think.

Unless you are wearing those super stretchy skinny jeans almost like jeggings that are flattering on only a slight few women.
  • morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    Hip dip

...seems similar, or stemming from the same issue. (notice I did not say flaw/problem, to me noone in their right mind would find the second girl unnattractive and i found NUMEROUS pictures celebrating this figure feature.

I can't thank you enough for posting this. Didn't know it had name, didn't know it was common, honestly thought I had the weirdest most unique hip situation on earth. Not that I minded all that much.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member

Then you don't have time for fashion either.

Touche!
  • MyChocolateDiet

Saddle bags (in bikini)

reiterhosen_01.jpg
    (in jeans)
    saddlebags_1_.jpg

from the front

I'm like the second pic. Size 4 saddlebags... ): Also hip dip. The thinner I get, the more my hipbones stick out

tumblr_mju0bqNTdm1rs376co1_400.jpg

okay then you're like my mom used to be in the designer jeans era. the most flattering pants on her were usually thicker material with less stretch and dark dark very dark. in her days they were jordache or gloria vanderbilt.

today I think gap usually has some firmer jeans like that and some of lucky brand are sometimes thick enough too.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member

You're a size 26 and have 20% body fat??

I can't see how this is true.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Hip dip

I can't thank you enough for posting this. Didn't know it had name, didn't know it was common, honestly thought I had the weirdest most unique hip situation on earth. Not that I minded all that much.

:flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    If it makes you feel any better, most people look like **** in skinny jeans...I can only think of a handful of women I've ever seen wearing them that actually pulled them off without looking ridiculous. I tend to only like them on very long legged women with bubble butts.

I actually prefer a boot cut...I'm also partial to bell bottoms and can't wait until they come back around again.