Still look awful in skinny jeans. Alternatives?

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Wear a different cut around the waist. I wear True Religion when I can afford them (I get them at outlet stores), and go for the styles that are higher rise in the back. I also prefer a skinny straight leg over a true skinny jean. You also need to be careful of the fit through the hip. If you buy jeans that have reinforced stitching along the hip dip, it will make the area look slimmer. Buy heavier, constructed denim and avoid stretch denim. Most people do the exact opposite, but if there's more give in the fabric, it'll stretch out around your problem areas and exacerbate them.

Jeans are all about the fit. If you don't think you look good in a type of jeans, try a different brand.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    I am guessing you have not done any weight training? That type of exercise makes an attractive body shape.

I work 12 hours a day pushing a mower and swinging around a line trimmer. I have 20% BF. No time or energy for weight training
    Maybe you are picturing hours in the gym, but I would suggest doing sets of squats and deadlifts 2-3 times a week.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Bootcut jeans are out of fashion?

I love my bootcut Levi's 515!!

Ditto! They are great.

So were Ditto's. Remember those? Errbody looks prettier with u-turns on their butt.

dittos_jeans_spring_2012-5.jpg
  • intrepidelephant
    intrepidelephant Posts: 100 Member
    I am guessing you have not done any weight training? That type of exercise makes an attractive body shape.

I work 12 hours a day pushing a mower and swinging around a line trimmer. I have 20% BF. No time or energy for weight training
    Maybe you are picturing hours in the gym, but I would suggest doing sets of squats and deadlifts 2-3 times a week.

I throw a 80 lb pushmower onto the back of a pickup truck 8 times a day (and take it off). Seems like overkill doing deadlifts and squats too. My arms, legs, and tummy are toned without any structured exercise whatsoever. My dad's been doing this job his whole life. He's 60 years old and still pretty ripped. He's never done structured exercise either
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    I actually prefer a boot cut...I'm also partial to bell bottoms and can't wait until they come back around again.

Why wait? I stole all of my mom's bell-bottoms. :laugh: Love the shape! Whenever I buy jeans for myself I won't buy a pair that doesn't flare!
  • mfesloca
    mfesloca Posts: 21 Member
    Dark wash straight leg jeans are pretty universally flattering. I love them. It's a trick to find straight that doesn't mean skinny, though. I just picked up a pair of DKNY's Soho Straights at Macy's and they're great. Plus, I could actually find them long enough for my 5'10", all leg frame.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    I've officially given up on skinny jeans. I went and tried on a size 26 today. They fit but made me look gargantuan. I still have slight saddlebags and "hip dip"/protruding hipbones even at a size 2/4. My hiking pants make me look thin http://www.rockymountaintrail.com/Patagonia/Women's_Knifeblade_Pants/83285/detail . Any ideas on fashionable jeans that could look good on a 28-year-old with slight saddlebags. I've been wearing skirts and dresses pretty much exclusively since bootcut jeans went out of fashion

Well hey, not every thing suits every one.

I can't do low waisted jeans as they are incredibly unflattering - I only gave up on those recently and got myself a pair of high waisted ones that look fantastic.

I concur with those above who have suggested dark blue boot cut. Possibly a bit harder to find these days, but much easier to get on and/or off than skinny jeans!
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    I have large calves so I only wear boot cut jeans!

Me too! Damn those large calves. I am 5'4, 141 lbs and still have some cellulite in my calves. I won't be wearing skinny jeans.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    not all styles are for every body type, regardless of your weight
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member

I throw a 80 lb pushmower onto the back of a pickup truck 8 times a day (and take it off). Seems like overkill doing deadlifts and squats too. My arms, legs, and tummy are toned without any structured exercise whatsoever. My dad's been doing this job his whole life. He's 60 years old and still pretty ripped. He's never done structured exercise either

I hear you on all of this!! Not sure why people don't get it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    So far I found two jean "fixes"

that help that.

hsk2.jpg
    hsj1.jpg

dark boot leg.

also maybe if you try a skinny jean that is not so stretchy or actually any jean that is not so stretchy it will offer more support and less "give" to smooth you out?

overall though, I strongly suspect that since you are rather slim it probably overall looks more appealing than you think.

Unless you are wearing those super stretchy skinny jeans almost like jeggings that are flattering on only a slight few women.

back pocket size is so important. the reason the second before pic looks like a flat booty is because of those long assed pockets
  • MezaEza
    MezaEza Posts: 267 Member
    I've got saddle bags and a hip dip too and find high waisted cropped jeans suit me best.
    The high waist line makes your waist look smaller and also makes you look taller - fantastic if you're petite!
    I suppose my jeans would be considered as skinny jeans - but unlike skinny jeans I can actually pull these off! The mid calf crop is flattering and (for me) works a lot better than full length jeans.

I'd certainly recommend trying some on if you see any, I was sceptical before I tried them on but they actually really work! If that's not your thing then try straight legged jeans. Although, in my opinion there' nothing wrong with bootcuts!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Don't try to wear skinny jeans if you do not like the way they look on your shape. I do not look good in skinny jeans, so I don't buy them. Try different leg widths.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Hip dip

tumblr_inline_mqrsglC3FN1qz4rgp.png

6ae5d3a0e2885d4288fca50ab13a12d9.jpg

tumblr_m1lz49SpHQ1qeu3jjo1_r1_500.jpg

...seems similar, or stemming from the same issue. (notice I did not say flaw/problem, to me noone in their right mind would find the second girl unnattractive and i found NUMEROUS pictures celebrating this figure feature.
    Awesome photos!
    OP Try bootcut (dark colors)
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Certain styles of jeans come in and out of 'fashion' simply because that way, the fashion people can sort of 'honor' all of the different cuts every year.... and of course, trick people into thinking their entire closet needs a complete overhaul. They want your money! The reality is, go to ANY good retail store and they will have tons of cuts and tons of brands just for this reason. What looks good on a short, curvy girl will not look good on someone who is tall and straight. And that is GOOD! it's good they make all kinds of cuts to suit all kinds of bodies. Because nothing looks worse than someone trying to look 'fashionable' in a cut that just looks AWFUL on them. I'm curvy and by curvy I mean I have an hourglass shape. I wear skinny jeans ALL THE TIME and get told I look fantastic in them. I usually get the dark washes, stretch, and wear them either rolled up a bit or tucked into boots. BUT, I also wear the looser tops. I'm a size 12. I wear them fine and even my Mom who has always told me the truth, always talks of how flattering they are (just like she has told me that she loves me, but she hates my hair). Anyways, it's all in the shape. The skinnies I wear also are higher wasted and cut for curves. They are a light material so they don't bunch at my waist or when I move. But what do I wear when I don't wear these? Depends. Many times boot cut with a mid-waist of a medium material or a straight leg with heavy material and a mid to low waist. Your best bet is to take a friend with you that you trust to go shopping and take pics. You'll know when you've found the right cut for your body. But just from looking, I think you could do a skinny cut straight leg in a medium to heavy material. I would either go for a very low waist or high. I think a mid would hit in a bad spot. Going and trying them on will be your best bet since you won't really know until you do. Be prepared to try on a LOT of them and know that we all go through this and eventually you'll find what really feels good and flatters. :smile:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member

I hear you on all of this!! Not sure why people don't get it.
    Suggesting squats and deads as a targeted way to shape the gluts and legs can't be too bad of a suggestion! I'm from a family of self-employed contractors and builders, I totally get it when someone says they work hard.
  • Paper_Diva
    Paper_Diva Posts: 10 Member
    She is referring to jeans that size by the waist. Like Levi's go by waist size....26, 27, 28, 28, 29 etc. similar to men's clothing. She said she wears a size 2/4.

OP, you just need to try on many different brands, colors and styles to find one you like.

I have both a hip dip and saddle bags. If I try something on and you can see both, I put it back. Different brands fit differently.
  • ButterflyEl
    ButterflyEl Posts: 29 Member
    .. Double Post, don't know how to delete sorry!
  • ButterflyEl
    ButterflyEl Posts: 29 Member
    Hip dip

tumblr_inline_mqrsglC3FN1qz4rgp.png

6ae5d3a0e2885d4288fca50ab13a12d9.jpg

tumblr_m1lz49SpHQ1qeu3jjo1_r1_500.jpg

...seems similar, or stemming from the same issue. (notice I did not say flaw/problem, to me noone in their right mind would find the second girl unnattractive and i found NUMEROUS pictures celebrating this figure feature.

I can't thank you enough for posting this. Didn't know it had name, didn't know it was common, honestly thought I had the weirdest most unique hip situation on earth. Not that I minded all that much.

OMG can I just second this?!

I'm so relieved. Ever since I was a teenager I thought there was something seriously wrong with the shape of me and that no one else looked like I did. It's always weirded me out and made me feel self conscious. It's just reassuring to know it's a "thing"!

Thank you!!!!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Skinny jeans look ugly on everyone.

The hip dip, IMO, is caused because you're losing weight from your hips before you're losing it from your thighs. When I trim down, I go through a period where I have a big hip dip until my thighs catch up. When I gain weight, the reverse is true - thighs plump out first, then the hips catch up.