Anyone use a rowing machine to lose weight?

Has anyone used a rowing machine to lose weight? I have one and am looking for tips/advice...

Replies

• Easy_Ed
    Easy_Ed Posts: 3
    I have lost 12 pounds in the past month by strictly using a rowing machine, watching my diet (6 days strict diet, 1 day is a 'cheat day' where I can eat whatever I want) while not eating anything past 7 p.m.

A lot of it has to do with the rowing machine though. What has worked for me is to gradually increase your meters rowed. For example, for week 1 row 5000 meters, for week 2 row 5500 meters, etc and so on. Also, every 1000 meters or so during he workout I row AS FAST and HARD as I can for 100 meters and at the last 200 meters I do the same; row as fast and hard as I can.

The rowing machine is one of the best full body workout machines on the market today - you're lucky you own one. Just make sure to row with really good form, gradually increase your meters rowed, and be consistent!!! You will definitely lose weight with your rower! Check out this post on info for what a rowing machine does to your body: http://www.rowingmachineking.com/will-a-rowing-machine-help-me-lose-weight/. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member

The rowing machine is one of the best full body workout machines on the market today - you're lucky you own one. Just make sure to row with really good form, gradually increase your meters rowed, and be consistent!!! You will definitely lose weight with your rower! Check out this post on info for what a rowing machine does to your body: http://www.rowingmachineking.com/will-a-rowing-machine-help-me-lose-weight/. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Running, riding and rowing are my three Rs. I row 2 or 3 times per week.

but remember........most of your weight loss happens in the kitchen.

Exercise = fitness

Portion control & caloric deficit = weight loss
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    I use a rowing machine to row...

To lose weight I track what I eat.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member

Running, riding and rowing are my three Rs. I row 2 or 3 times per week.

but remember........most of your weight loss happens in the kitchen.

Exercise = fitness

Portion control & caloric deficit = weight loss

This ....

I tell people that my exercising allows me to lead a less intense life. So I would like to have pizza and a glass of wine tonight with my buddies ... go for a bike ride and burn the calories.

I do live by the you can't exercise away bad eating habits ... so I don't go eat pizza tonight and try to work it off tomorrow. If I'm going to splurge (not cheat I never cheat ... because nothing is off limits anyway) I burn the calories first ...

Good luck rowing is awesome!!!!! Only thing better is cycling :wink:
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    I've recently started using the rowing machine at the gym, LOVE IT! Can't say my weight loss comes ALL from that, since I do some other stuff, too, but it sure gets my heart beating, and I guess that's what it's all about ;)

Just keep moving, moving is good! If you enjoy it, stick to it, if not, change it, but mooooove :D
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    She deactivated her MFP. Maybe she didn't like the responses.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Help prevent the deactivations - just tell new posters that they're doing exactly the right thing
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    BUMP
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    I like to incorporate the concept 2 rower into my HIIT routines.. that thing will kick your but each time, If your always pushing yourself.
  • Rak35h
    Rak35h Posts: 6 Member
    I'm a big fan of the rowing machine. I can go on and on working on it.
    I need to get a nice weight loss routine that I can use. My main area is belly fat. I have diet under control and I know focused Belly fat loss will need HIIT. Any pointers or links for a rowing machine routine that anyone can share?
  • patsully98
    patsully98 Posts: 40 Member
    I'm a big fan of the rowing machine. I can go on and on working on it.
    I need to get a nice weight loss routine that I can use. My main area is belly fat. I have diet under control and I know focused Belly fat loss will need HIIT. Any pointers or links for a rowing machine routine that anyone can share?

Punch in some stats and this will give you a somewhat customized program: http://therowingcompany.com/weightloss/interactive

There's also the beginner Pete Plan, which has a mix of long slow distance and intervals: http://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/

My main activity is Brazilian jiu jitsu (it's a martial art similar to judo or wrestling), but I have a six-month-old and can't make it to the gym regularly. I bought a rowing machine for those nights I can't train BJJ (and my fiancé and baby haven't worn me out too badly lol). I was following the Pete Plan for a bit, but decided to do shorter, more intense workouts that more closely approximate a jiu jitsu match. The rowing machine, for me, is to ensure that I'm not completely useless those nights I can train. That said, I love my rowing machine and am so glad I bought one.
  • yuckyellow
    yuckyellow Posts: 4 Member
    I second the use of the beginner Pete Plan. I am up to week 11 of the plan. I have been able to double the distance of my long row from 5000m to 10000m while maintaining pace. I am also seeing gains in pace during the weekly interval training sessions. I am only rowing the 3 main sessions per week. I am not doing any of the optional sessions. I am running 2-3 days/week when I don't row. I think that the lower impact nature of rowing provides a nice counterbalance to running.

I have loss 10 lbs during this same time period. But I attribute that more to eating at a 500 cal/week deficit not to the rowing. Although it is nice to get a good long row in and know that you have burned enough calories to enjoy a cold beer.
  • I'm a big fan of the rowing machine. I can go on and on working on it.

Punch in some stats and this will give you a somewhat customized program: http://therowingcompany.com/weightloss/interactive
    Thanks for the link. What does the 2 x 12' mean?? Is that supposed to be 2 x 12 minutes, or 2 x 12,000 metres??
    Appreciate any assistance!

http://therowingcompany.com/weightloss/interactive?excess=10.4&sessions=3&level=1&weight=+75&programme=Generate+Programme
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    2 x 12 minutes.

also check out the concept2 website, there are specific training programs for weight loss and 3 different 'workouts of the day' depending on how much time you've got.

the weight loss workouts are mostly just 'row for as long as you can, ideally 40+ minutes'

I'm trying to do 40 minutes, 3 times a week. I break it up into 2 x 20 minutes with a couple of minutes break to walk around and stretch between the 2 sessions. It needs loud music and the ability to turn off your brain.
  • Thank you. At what resistance? Hardest you can?

I have just bought the Bodymax Infiniti R100.
    It's brilliant. Decided to get this over the C2...
    (Backlit, saves user profiles, quieter as MagAir not just air, looks nicer, ever so slightly cheaper, it's the gym equipment of choice in USA)

After two babies in 3 years I need to get back into shape, weight loss first and foremost!!
    When the oldest is at nursery I have ample time to get rowing...

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/infiniti-r100-rowing-machine-by-bodymax.php
  • momiji166
    momiji166 Posts: 32
    I was so scared of the rower and 8 weeks ago I tried my first 200metres and I got tightenings across my chest and so breathless I thought I was having an asthma attack. 8 weeks later, it's my favourite cardio in the gym, I row 500m followed by kettlebell swings for up to 5 sets, depending how I feel on the day, but I way prefer it to the treadmill and cross trainer.

My weight loss and inch loss have been consistant throughout and I use the rower up to 4 times per week. I LOVE it!
  • round10
    round10 Posts: 16 Member
    cool. how much weight did you lose using it?
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    The rowing machines in both Y's are on their last legs, I put it on the highest setting and try to push myself, but I barely feel breathless or any challenge, so I'm sticking to jumping rope and other stuff until they get in new machines, both places actually will pretty soon. I wish I had a rowing machine, with my bike, and other activities I'd be all set.
  • Sambo232
    Sambo232 Posts: 3 Member
    Doesn't really matter but drag factor 140 (usually about setting 5ish, but you can check) is most like rowing on water (if rowing in an eight). If sprinting a slightly higher drag factor might be better and if doing 18-20 strokes per minute for 1 hour then maybe a bit lower, but as I row on water too, I like to use the authentic drag factor.
  • I have a rowing machine, and it is a great workout! I can burn usually 450-500 cals a day!