Exercisex for swimming in home pool

Hey guys! I am not an exerciser by any means, but I love swimming. I have a small above ground pool (4ft deep). I have been doing laps from corner to corner to get my heart rate going for about 20 minutes a day to start. Does anyone have any good strength or cardio exercises that they do in the pool?

Replies

• Hey guys! I am not an exerciser by any means, but I love swimming. I have a small above ground pool (4ft deep). I have been doing laps from corner to corner to get my heart rate going for about 20 minutes a day to start. Does anyone have any good strength or cardio exercises that they do in the pool?
  • Whoops I didnt mean "exercisex". Freudian slip perhaps? haha.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Catchy title...lol.

You can do some kicking exercises - like with a kickboard or just holding on the wall and kicking. Also there is a move called "eggbeaters" where you keep your arms above the water (at the elbow) and beat your legs around (not touching the bottom) - try to hold that for 20 seconds, rest 10 seconds, and repeat. GOOD workout.

Have fun!
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    :laugh: :laugh: i was gonna say... your doing what in your pool "exercisex":noway: :laugh:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Catchy title...lol.

You can do some kicking exercises - like with a kickboard or just holding on the wall and kicking. Also there is a move called "eggbeaters" where you keep your arms above the water (at the elbow) and beat your legs around (not touching the bottom) - try to hold that for 20 seconds, rest 10 seconds, and repeat. GOOD workout.

Have fun!
    And how many calories does this burn becuase I have the same thing and was going to do a post about it.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Catchy title...lol.

Have fun!
    And how many calories does this burn becuase I have the same thing and was going to do a post about it.

Well, when I kick board at the pool (with my HRM) I burn about 10 calories per 10 minutes if I work at maximum, otherwise it will be roughly 5-7 calories per 10 minutes if I'm taking it easy. I would just log your time as swimming - easy from MFP that way you won't over-estimate. BTW - do you have a HRM?
  • dang got me to read with that title:laugh:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    hmmmm my mind went right there with you all!

This is a great website for all things active.......even Exercisex! :

http://calorielab.com/burned

The "Sexual Activity" (HUMOR) category is a riot. :wink:

:glasses:
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: that was great. i took an aerobics class this summer and they had some wild moves. maybe look on the internet cause u can find anything on here. good luck wish i had a pool i love to swim to. our community pool closed already this season and its a bummer i was going almost everyday!! Much success :flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Wow put sex in the title and everybody takes a look! :laugh: :laugh:
  • butterjoy
    butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
    YOU SAID YOUR POOL IS 4 FEET DEEP? THAT IS PERFECT FOR ME CAUSE I AM 4 FT 9 INCHES. HOW BIG IS THE POOL 6 X 9 ? I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A POOL. THAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO WORKOUT WITHOUT STRESSING YOUR BODY.

JOY :flowerforyou:
  • butterfliblu
    butterfliblu Posts: 36 Member
    That was hilarious!! LOL- I was like, "oh! a new program! WOO!"

Thanks for giving me my laugh for the evening :)
  • LoL! Yea, your title is definitely going to catch a lot of people's attention!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I was some 'exercisex'. That sounds like an awesome way to burn calories! :wink: And in a pool? Even better!!:happy:
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    I wonder how many people opened this thread thinking OOOOOOOOOOOO:love:
    and then thought OH:embarassed:

i know i did:laugh:
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Yeah, I wanted to see if it was a typo or not. I was hoping it wasn't a bad joke on the movie Showgirls...which has become a cult classic.:noway:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    Go to

http://calorielab.com/burned

The "Sexual Activity" (HUMOR) category is a riot.
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    I, too, was wondering what was going to follow that title.

It almost sounds like the title of a book...perhaps a how-to manual.

:laugh:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    I think you have a following... you could add your exercisex for additional heart palapating calorie burning!!:laugh:

Kick board, aqua-jogging, hold on the side and push your legs up and kick... ummmm. you can also get some floaty weights to help with resistance.. add distance/time.

NICE TITLE THOUGH...
  • Holy cow you guys! Haha. I went off the deep end this last week so I havent even logged in. But Im back in action. I really started something with this topic! That website is funny, but I only burn 38 calories after having vigorous sex for an hour? That doesnt seem right! I hope its more because my boyfriend and I are on a kick right now. :tongue: and I would like to think its doing me some good besides the obvious glow effects. Thanks to everyone for the swimming tips though! Im definitely going to get more creative with it. Of course the temp. has dropped in Kalamazoo (MI) to about 60 for the past few days. I just cant stomach to stay in a freezing pool for that long, no matter how much I love to swim. Tae Bo for me today! That brings up another question though, how many calories are burned from TaeBo? The original tape. I believe it is 40 minutes long?

Thanks guys! And get your minds out of the gutter! :laugh: :wink: