Nausea while laying down (low carb)

Ok, so a couple weeks ago I completed my first month of low carbing, then every night when I would lay down to go to sleep, I would get super nauseous...didn't matter what position I was laying it, I felt like I was going to have a technicolor yawn. So I went off low carb, added rice and fruits back into my diet and have maintained my weight. I restarted low carbing yesterday, gradually lowering my carbs. Yesterday, I was at 100 carbs, without deducting fiber, and I felt fine and had a restful nights sleep. Now today, I'm at 50 some odd carbs, there's some stuff I still need to add to my diary because I'm not done logging, I just tried taking a small cat nap and the same nausea hit me again. Just to clarify, I'm not pregnant, drinking plenty of water, and normally get between 7-8 hours of sleep. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this while low carbing. I'm wondering if I should just keep my carbs in the 100 range rather than go lower...I do work a job where I'm constantly on my feet and moving. Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Was there anything else that was the same both time because otherwise it seems like you body just doesn't react well to below a certain carb level.
  • LiannaMC89
    LiannaMC89 Posts: 25 Member
    Only thing I can think of is the carb level. I'm making sure I'm eating veggies, proteins and fats, as well as drinking plenty of fluids...I'm wondering if that is it...if I should just keep to moderate "low" carb...
  • shabaity
    Some peoples bodies just don't react well to certain things. I get cranky eating 5-6 little meals you seem to get sick below a certain carb level these things happen. Discuss it with your doctor if you feel you need to.
  • LiannaMC89
    I'll probably experiment some to figure out a good range for myself...my dr is kinda a quack...told me if I ate one piece of fruit a day (that's it all day) I'd lose weight...well duh, if I have a death wish!
  • shabaity
    :noway: It may be time for a new gp with that advice.
  • LiannaMC89
    :noway: It may be time for a new gp with that advice.

Most def! I'll probably experiment though...I'm going to have a serving of rice and fish...it'll bring me up to 100 before subtracting fiber.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    You're either pregnant or you need to eat more food! You definitely need a new doctor!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    While your diary looks perfectly fine in terms of foods eaten it is far from traditional low carb fare.

Oatmeal, peaches , cranberrys, rice, and tortillas are not typically on a low carb list when first starting out.

While you may have cut back on carbs I would hesitate to say your diet today was low carb
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Have you had your A1C checked or something? Sounds like a blood sugar issue to me. Are you getting vertigo, too?
  • LiannaMC89
    I'm slowly easing back into a traditional low carb per day, that's why the fruit and oats are still there. And I definitely know I'm not pregnant, you gotta do the horizontal hustle lol and for me, I rep the single and celibate life hahaha. No vertigo, only nausea when I lay down to sleep. If I'm standing I'm just peachy.
  • It could be a symptom of ketosis.
  • LiannaMC89
    It could be a symptom of ketosis.
    I'm not sure, I doubt I'd be in ketosis within the first 24 hours, plus my carb intake hasn't been low enough for that.
  • Gotcha. I hope you start feeling better very soon!!!!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Get a new doctor and go see him.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    How long are you giving yourself between eating and laying down? Fat digests slower than carbohydrates - is it possible your stomach is still partially full and you are having reflux?
  • billr9mm
    billr9mm Posts: 72 Member
    How long are you giving yourself between eating and laying down? Fat digests slower than carbohydrates - is it possible your stomach is still partially full and you are having reflux?

This is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe its not the lack of carbs but instead what you are eating to replace those calories from carbs. Greasy and fatty foods are more likely to cause "heartburn" or reflux or GURD, and laying down will make things worse. Six weeks ago I spent two days in the hospital (one in the ER thinking I was having a heart attack) and the other having diagnostic testing done only to find out I had stomach ulcers that was caused by GURD & excessive acid. What i can tell you is at the point of going to the ER I was at the point where I could no longer take the chest pains and nausea. Although my situation was extreme, the first thought that came to me was you were having reflux issues. Good old fashioned heartburn can cause nausea big time. Is nausea the only symptom you seem to have during these episodes? Try sleeping with two or more pillows that prop you up so you do not lay so flat. Also consider taking one of the new OTC acid reducers available now to see if they alleviate your nausea. And of course the best thing to do is to check with your doc (maybe a new one) because this could be a sign of something more serious such as GURD.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Any diet that makes you feel rotten, is obviously not the correct diet for you. I suggest you consult with a nutrition expert, or read a book, like, "Eat Clean Diet".

The diet you are on sounds extreme to me. That can't be healthy, or lead to life long lifestyle changes. Sounds like the model waif diet, in between work, they often go to the hospital to be checked in for a nutrition drip, otherwise they can barely walk, let alone work.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Ok, so a couple weeks ago I completed my first month of low carbing, then every night when I would lay down to go to sleep, I would get super nauseous...didn't matter what position I was laying it, I felt like I was going to have a technicolor yawn. So I went off low carb, added rice and fruits back into my diet and have maintained my weight. I restarted low carbing yesterday, gradually lowering my carbs. Yesterday, I was at 100 carbs, without deducting fiber, and I felt fine and had a restful nights sleep. Now today, I'm at 50 some odd carbs, there's some stuff I still need to add to my diary because I'm not done logging, I just tried taking a small cat nap and the same nausea hit me again. Just to clarify, I'm not pregnant, drinking plenty of water, and normally get between 7-8 hours of sleep. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this while low carbing. I'm wondering if I should just keep my carbs in the 100 range rather than go lower...I do work a job where I'm constantly on my feet and moving. Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

It could also be that you aren't eating enough? Your goal is 1600-1700 cal/day, yet you are consistently eating around 1000. Why is that?
  • LiannaMC89
    I've just always had trouble getting enough calories for some reason...it used to be worse. I upped my carbs last night and had no problem. And when I tried to take that nap it had need a few hours after eating lunch.
  • CathReese33
    CathReese33 Posts: 112 Member
    You are not taking a vitamin tablet or supplement before your naps are you? These always make me feel nauseous if not taken with food.