Disappointed with Piyo

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    I think you'll be satisfied with PiYo for strength training. Most people underestimate the strength exercises like yoga actually take. Just make it into week three and I promise you'll see and feel results. I'm in week 3 right now.
  • nickiev214
    nickiev214 Posts: 19 Member
    I also am an avid Turbo Fire user and was afraid PiYo wouldn't be intense enough. My suspicions were confirmed. Don't get me wrong, I love the workouts but needed more. I have been using T25 in conjunction with PiYo and love the combination. There's a hybrid schedule on the Beachbody website.

Where did you find the hybrid schedule on the Beachbody website? I couldn't find it :(
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Hey y'all, I haven't done Piyo, but since everyone's comparing it to yoga, I'd like to share my experience with another low impact thing I did years ago: My friend bought Windsor Pilates when it first came out (yeah, I'm dating myself here) and I laughed at it. No way that could work. I was doing things like "The Firm" and "Buns of Steel." I borrowed it from her just so I could speak with authority about how lame it was because all it seemed to me was like a series of stretches.

Well, I was wrong! That series of stretches did such amazing things for my body after a month I went and bought my own set. Sometimes, especially if you've been doing high impact for awhile, the body just needs a break and responds wonderfully.

I also find that a good yoga session really works the body and I sweat as if I've been running. A side-benefit of pilates is that I've had sports massagers after a race compliment me on my flexibility. One told me that she could tell I did things like yoga and pilates and that those helped prevent the standard runners ailments.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    The second month of PiYo is much more intense than the first one, if you bought the strength edition, I think you'll be pretty pleased.
  • Stick with it! i am on week 6 of PiYo and I love it! It starts off a bit slow but the workouts get more intense. For instance, Define: Upper and Lower are probably the easier ones. If you want more cardio, go with Sweat, Drench, or Strength Intervals.

I do PiYo everyday and then I run the stairs in my apartment building to add a bit more cardio! Hope this helps!
  • cecili
    cecili Posts: 2 Member
    I'm reviving this thread. This is my first beachbody purchase. I'm used to jillian michaels bfbm. I thought something different would be more motivating. Chalene flies through the moves and I find myself behind. Then I feel like my joints and tendons are getting more of a workout than my muscles. I was hoping for something more like les mills body flow. I'm disappointed. I'm also not at my ideal body weight and feel like this program is for ppl who just want to define their already fit body:(
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    I'm reviving this thread. This is my first beachbody purchase. I'm used to jillian michaels bfbm. I thought something different would be more motivating. Chalene flies through the moves and I find myself behind. Then I feel like my joints and tendons are getting more of a workout than my muscles. I was hoping for something more like les mills body flow. I'm disappointed. I'm also not at my ideal body weight and feel like this program is for ppl who just want to define their already fit body:(

How many weeks have you been doing the program? It does go fast because it's not a stretch/relax program, it's a workout.

I've been doing it for 4 weeks now and since I have the moves down I like it better. I can just listen for the cues and work on my form.

I have to say though I don't dig the music.

You should try ChaLean Extreme - it's weight lifting, beachbody, and Chalene is a great coach in that one.
  • row2sweat
    row2sweat Posts: 1 Member
    I too recently did P90x3 and am disappointed with the lack of challenge in piyo. I was looking for something to help with my flexibility while maintaining (or increasing) strength and physique. I am planning to continue to give it a chance, but may continue more resistance training to supplement on certain days.
  • krazziekid78
    krazziekid78 Posts: 4 Member
    I'm considering ordering PiYo because I love Chalene and had great results with Turbo Fire. I still have about 40 more lbs I would like to lose so I'm nervous about cutting cardio- but I need a change in my routine because I am getting burned out. Anywho, I would really like to tone up and improve my balance and flexibility. I was thinking of perhaps doing a 30 minute cardio video followed by a piyo video. I thought perhaps piyo might be a great addition to turbo fire... And perhaps t25?
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    I gave it a try, mainly because I am a fan of ChaLEAN Extreme and TurboFire, but I too felt PiYO was a bit disappointing.
    Maybe because my workout includes stuff like T25, Insanity, Les Mills Combat, P90X3, and TurboFire, I was accustomed to a faster pace and a more strenuous workout.

At the end of my PiYO workouts, I felt shortchanged and underworked. Don't knock it to you try it, they say. Well, I tried it, and I'm knocking it..........sorry, just my two cents.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I agree that PiYo is not as challenging as other programs, however, I use it as a supplementary workout in between strength training and (also add a HIIT or cardio session once a week). Going into it, I wanted kind of a "power yoga/pilates" type program and that is pretty much what it is. For me it is perfect. It allows my muscles to stretch, has helped my flexibility and posture, it has also strengthened my core tremendously and isn't too cardio heavy (although Drench, Strength intervals and Sweat get up there for sure). I think if you have a lot of weight to lose, this may not be the program for you unless you are limited due to injury or are really a beginner. I think a T25 or TurboFire - PiYo Hybrid would be great.
  • Hi everyone! Adding my 2 cents. So I just we completed piyo, and at first I would agree with most of you about piyo not being challenging, not having a lot of cardio, being to slow. But now that I've completed the program, I'm going to say I disagree completely. The program starts off slow, to aid you with correct moves and alignment, also getting you use to the moves with repetition. By week 4 it's starts getting intense, if you've finished the whole 8 weeks then you should had a lot of challenge and a lot of soreness especially in your legs with all the squats, lunges, burpees and side curtesy. So if your on day 3 and is complaining about it, try it out to your 8th week and see if you hate it or love it. I supplement cardio with it the first 3 weeks, but after that I was good. Keep in mind, everyone is wanting or needing something specific to their workout. This may not be for you, but complete it before you knock it. I personally LOVE IT. Good luck to you all finding what works for you! God bless!
  • Pipsg1rl
    I'm mid-week 7 and almost complete.

It may not be for everyone, but it was a change in routine for me and I am enjoying the under-45 minute workouts since I do them on my lunch break.

I had already done a round of ChaLean Extreme prior, so I do miss weights somewhat, but this is only an 8 week program and I don't feel like I've lost much strength.

Maybe a hybrid next, but I like to mix it up.
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    I really feel like PiYo is going to be the program that breaks me out of the on-and-off workout cycle I have been stuck in for two years. I adore T25, but I've never made it past week four because even the modifications are too much for me as my first program back on the horse. I encourage folks to at least give the program a month before declaring it useless. Define upper & lower are certainly not the most challenging workouts, but they allow you to ease your way in and work on your form before diving in to the harder workouts. By week 4, I thought things like Sweat would be easier, but they're not - and it's because my form is better, I'm getting stronger, and I can push myself harder. Last night, I did my first ever actual modified pushups, which I could never do even when I was in the best shape of my life. My core, my legs, and my wrists are so much stronger and I know that is going to benefit me in future programs as well. Plus... I'm on week 4 & my butt is rounder than it has been in years. Can't complain about that!

I can see how PiYo might not be enough of a full workout on its own, but the great thing about most of the videos being so short is that you can so easily use them to supplement your other workouts & I really believe that most people can benefit from the strength and flexibility you can gain from PiYo.
  • gingerpeachy6
    gingerpeachy6 Posts: 74 Member
    I just started back with PiYo and also added T25 for doubles. I was stuck at a plateau for the longest time, but I did find that PiYo (before I quit) finally helped me shred my waist where I wasn't able to get it to budge with anything else. I also have some definition now that I didn't have before. I only did PiYo for 4 weeks then stopped. Looking forward to more progress :)
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    I'm doing ChaLEAN Extreme right now and am thinking of adding PiYo when I'm done (maybe a hybrid? I love the weights from CLX). Has anyone done both? I'm at 159 (5'10") and would like to hit 145 but am more concerned with toning/getting stronger than the number on the scale. I'm wondering if PiYo with CLX might be the ticket.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Piyo gets tougher when you actually utilize all the form tips. If you are just going through the motions and not contracting your core when she tells you, or not going low in the stances, (ETC) then you are missing the whole point of this program.

Anyone who thinks it's easy needs to come workout with me...I guarantee you will be grunting and groaning!!! :laugh:
  • Pipsg1rl
    I'm doing ChaLEAN Extreme right now and am thinking of adding PiYo when I'm done (maybe a hybrid? I love the weights from CLX). Has anyone done both? I'm at 159 (5'10") and would like to hit 145 but am more concerned with toning/getting stronger than the number on the scale. I'm wondering if PiYo with CLX might be the ticket.

There are multiple people who are doing both. You could probably search/find.
  • MonicaValk
    MonicaValk Posts: 4 Member
    I don't like yoga but love Piyo! I did upper and lower back to back. Sweat, buns, hardcore on the floor all have me dripping in sweat! I have not yet done Drench yet but I hear that one is great too I have done TF, CLX, and BBL before this. I plan to do CLX after Piyo but I will still add Piyo because I love it so much and I'm on week 4.
  • AZ0310
    AZ0310 Posts: 201 Member
    I'm still working through ChaLean, which I love. I only do the circuit videos. I run 3/4 times a week for cardio and added piyo for additional strength and flexibility. I love the combination and really like the piyo workouts. I'm not following the program, but just pick a workout to do. I usually alternate my selection between drench/sweat and the other workouts. I think I've done core the most. Currently I'm planning to stick with combining ChaLean/PIYO/running/walking as I really like the combination.