Long time maintainers how do you do it

Replies

• kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Not sure if I qualify as long term enough, it's been 16months since I hit goal (and have maintained a 5lbs range).
    I track, first and foremost. I bought a whole new wardrobe (and tossed all the old stuff) that fits tightly at my goal weight. I weigh daily and keep a 3lbs range 112-115 (I am 5'2"), . If I go over the 3lbs, I pare back food, and increase the exercise. I continue to eat the way I did when I was losing except I now eat back my exercise calories.

So key tools:
    1) tight clothes
    2) scale and a range with an upper limit
    3) track
    4) continue to eat well and exercise (cardio and weights)

Yes, this
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    I've been maintaining for over 10 years now, with the exeption of 2 babies and 50+ lb gains with each.
    I try to do some kind of exercise every day. Whatever, just something I enjoy. I always to push myself though. I do think running has really helped lose the weight and keep it off and, more recently, I really love what strength training is doing.
    I try to be aware of what I'm eating, now I log on MFP and find it very helpful. I try to eat as many "whole" foods as possible.
    I weigh myself every day.
    I've learned that it's not healthy to starve yourself or binge on unhealthy foods. Seems basic but it's easy to fall into old habits.
  • katana73
    katana73 Posts: 6 Member
    I was able to consistently maintain my 56 lbs weight lost for a little over six years. I did gain back about 12 lbs of that but I have made adjustments in my diet to help with dropping those pounds. The one thing that helped me ensure that I stay on top of my habits is.. journaling (my fitness pal), watching my caloric intake, and actually weighing my phones to ensure I am eating the correct serving sizes.. My caloric intake is based on my training session. From Jan - Aug it is higher because I am training for Tris or 5ks. From Sept - Dec, training is not as extensive so I have to reduce my calories to ensure that the equilibrium between in take and out put are even.

It also helps to find an physical activity that you really enjoy doing. I use to think mine was weight training, which I do two to three times a week but it is really swimming, which I do once or twice a week. I also line dance and roller skate once a week. It is just important to find something you don't mind doing. That will help ensure you stick to it on a regular.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I've been maintaining for over 10 years now, with the exeption of 2 babies and 50+ lb gains with each.
    I try to do some kind of exercise every day. Whatever, just something I enjoy. I always to push myself though. I do think running has really helped lose the weight and keep it off and, more recently, I really love what strength training is doing.
    I try to be aware of what I'm eating, now I log on MFP and find it very helpful. I try to eat as many "whole" foods as possible.
    I weigh myself every day.
    I've learned that it's not healthy to starve yourself or binge on unhealthy foods. Seems basic but it's easy to fall into old habits.
    You've gained and lost and maintained with 2 births? Impressive!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Commenting for place holder.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    [/quote]You've gained and lost and maintained with 2 births? Impressive!
    [/quote]

I'm about 10lb from my lowest maintenence weight but my bf is prob about as low as it's every been so I'm pretty happy but still working on losing the last 10 and lowering my bf.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    did you lift when you were trying to lose weight too? I'm only asking because I go to the gym 5 times a week and really enjoy lifting weights but keep getting told it will put weight onto me.

It will only put weight on you if you are eating at a surplus. I focused on lifting the whole time I was losing weight - I lifted more than cardio. Trust me, I kept losing :)
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    did you lift when you were trying to lose weight too? I'm only asking because I go to the gym 5 times a week and really enjoy lifting weights but keep getting told it will put weight onto me.

The majority of all human beings cannot lose wight and add muscle at the same time. You want to lift while losing weight to make sure you only lose fat. That way when you get to your target weight you won't look like a POW.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Workout and eat at no more than your body burns.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    I'd like to hear from other folks who've maintained their weight loss for several years or so.
    What do you do to maintain?
    What sort of lifestyle changes did you make while losing or after that made it easier (or possible?) to maintain your loss?
    And, are you active/do you exercise regularly?

What works for you?

Thanks. It just seems with all the discussions about LOSING weight, hearing from some long time maintainers would be helpful. Since THAT is one of the biggest challenges.

cheers

Your diet and my diet are different so I'll say to you this way: exercise for fun 4 days a week. Make small changes to your day for additional steps. Take the stairs, walk to places if time permits. Park farther away if you can. So, basically, move a little more each week and make the small manageable changes. In between MFP posts do 3 pushups, every time for a week. Anything which provides your body a reason to adapt and change, challenge yourself. Be a little creative.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    I log my foods and tighten up the numbers a bit if things are getting out of hand.

I am an accountant so I like my numbers :smile: This may not be the best method for many.

I compete in powerlifting, therefore if I don't train I get weak. So I train regularly.

I still pick lower calorie foods often as A I like them and B I get to eat more

I also employ the don't be a lazy ****er method and do things like take the stairs where possible, park a bit further away than I need to. NEAT counts.

That is about it I'd say.