Help weight loss ?

Options
Okay so I have a few questions hoping for people that have already lost a lot of weight to answer. So first question is if I'm eating 1200 calories a day how much should I burn to increase my weight loss ? Second question is since I'm eating 1200 calories a day am I allowed to eat anything as long as I don't eat over my calories or is that bad, like let's say it eat a chicken sandwich that's 360 calories or carbs like a small portion of lasagna or white rice ? Third question should I never eat after eight ? Or it doesn't really matter as long as I don't eat over my calories ? Hope someone can help me out and answer these questions for me sorry I'm just very lost and trying to do everything right so I can keep on losing weight.

Replies

• ZulyPastor95
    Options
    Please
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1. You don't have to burn anything, but whatever exercise you do you should eat at least a portion of your calories back
    2. Everyone has a different way of thinking, but yes, you can lose eating whatever you'd like as long as you're in a calorie deficit. It basically comes down to Calories In < Calories Out. Just make sure you hit your macro goals (carbs/fat/protein)
    3. Time is irrelevant to weight loss. I didn't even eat dinner last night until 9:30 and I was down this morning.
  • ZulyPastor95
    Options
    What happens if you pass your macro goals ? Is that a bad thing ?
  • GlamourVintage
    GlamourVintage Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You would start to gain weight over time, because you went over your calorie limit.
  • bethanyboomstick
    bethanyboomstick Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What happens if you pass your macro goals ? Is that a bad thing ?

If you're passed ALL your macro goals, you went over your calorie limit. However, if you're shorter on one macro and over on another, and your calorie count is below the limit, you're fine. You went a little uneven, but it won't affect your weight loss.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    1. Exercise: I'd recommend doing at least a bit of strength training. This is because, when you diet, your body doesn't just use up fat, it will use up your muscle too. You really want it to use up as much fat, and as little muscle, as possible. You don't have to go crazy -- even a little bit of regular usage will help send signals to your body that you use your muscles, and so you need them.

Do know that if/when you start strength training, the progress on the scale may stop or change for a bit. Muscle really does weigh more, so if you're building it, it can often make the scale look like it isn't budging, even though you're still losing fat. Basically, maybe you built ~ 1 lb of muscle, lost ~ 1 lb fat, and so the scale doesn't move. (It's not quite that simple, but basically.) It's a really good trade though, as strong muscles will benefit you immensely, so just tolerate the scale for a bit. (Remember, the scale weighs your whole body, which includes water, muscle, the food in your belly, etc. Losing 1 lb is NOT 1 lb of fat, and not losing 1 lb doesn't mean you didn't lose any fat.)

For burning: There's no hard and fast rule... but the lower you go, the worse you may feel, and the more it can hurt you in the long run. You don't want your body to feel like it's starving. I'd also vary it.

Also keep in mind that your deficits are an over time sort of thing. Basically, worry less about whether you are or are not eating exactly 1200, eating back your exercise calories, etc. Look more at your deficits over time, and compare that to your own goals. And try to make sure that you feel okay -- that you have enough energy, that you aren't feeling ill, that you aren't pushing yourself to feel hungry all the time.

2. Food. Yeah, more or less. You may notice a lot of things though, through trial and error. Like, if I eat a really sugary breakfast (say, pancakes), even if it fits my calorie goals, I'll feel mad hungry like an hour later, and kind of sick. I need way more protein and fat at breakfast to balance out any sugar (carbs). If you eat like, half a bowl of lasagna, instead of chicken and veggies and an apple, you might go hungrier than you needed to. That sort of thing.

I do recommend a digital scale though. Weigh everything. And try to make sure you get the tricky things we're likely to forget -- the oil in the pan, the butter, the ketchup, etc.

3. Eat whenever you want. There are a lot of theories, but honestly, eat when you need to, when it makes sense for you, and you'll still lose weight as long as you're getting a good deficit.

There are as many different paths to weight loss as there are people. You will forge your own. Find what works for you, ignore what doesn't. Figure out what will make you happy and be doable long term. Pay attention to your body, and your overall deficits. Don't worry about this or that theory or fad or what the absolute optimal something or other is, as it is unlikely to matter until you're super close to goal weight.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    You would start to gain weight over time, because you went over your calorie limit.

this is true for most, but a person eating at a true 1200 calorie diet, could eat 1000 additional calories and probably still lose weight at a decent clip.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    1. Exercise: I'd recommend doing at least a bit of strength training. This is because, when you diet, your body doesn't just use up fat, it will use up your muscle too. You really want it to use up as much fat, and as little muscle, as possible. You don't have to go crazy -- even a little bit of regular usage will help send signals to your body that you use your muscles, and so you need them.

Do know that if/when you start strength training, the progress on the scale may stop or change for a bit. Muscle really does weigh more, so if you're building it, it can often make the scale look like it isn't budging, even though you're still losing fat. Basically, maybe you built ~ 1 lb of muscle, lost ~ 1 lb fat, and so the scale doesn't move. (It's not quite that simple, but basically.) It's a really good trade though, as strong muscles will benefit you immensely, so just tolerate the scale for a bit. (Remember, the scale weighs your whole body, which includes water, muscle, the food in your belly, etc. Losing 1 lb is NOT 1 lb of fat, and not losing 1 lb doesn't mean you didn't lose any fat.)

For burning: There's no hard and fast rule... but the lower you go, the worse you may feel, and the more it can hurt you in the long run. You don't want your body to feel like it's starving. I'd also vary it.

Also keep in mind that your deficits are an over time sort of thing. Basically, worry less about whether you are or are not eating exactly 1200, eating back your exercise calories, etc. Look more at your deficits over time, and compare that to your own goals. And try to make sure that you feel okay -- that you have enough energy, that you aren't feeling ill, that you aren't pushing yourself to feel hungry all the time.

2. Food. Yeah, more or less. You may notice a lot of things though, through trial and error. Like, if I eat a really sugary breakfast (say, pancakes), even if it fits my calorie goals, I'll feel mad hungry like an hour later, and kind of sick. I need way more protein and fat at breakfast to balance out any sugar (carbs). If you eat like, half a bowl of lasagna, instead of chicken and veggies and an apple, you might go hungrier than you needed to. That sort of thing.

I do recommend a digital scale though. Weigh everything. And try to make sure you get the tricky things we're likely to forget -- the oil in the pan, the butter, the ketchup, etc.

3. Eat whenever you want. There are a lot of theories, but honestly, eat when you need to, when it makes sense for you, and you'll still lose weight as long as you're getting a good deficit.

There are as many different paths to weight loss as there are people. You will forge your own. Find what works for you, ignore what doesn't. Figure out what will make you happy and be doable long term. Pay attention to your body, and your overall deficits. Don't worry about this or that theory or fad or what the absolute optimal something or other is, as it is unlikely to matter until you're super close to goal weight.

^ this.

I don't worry about daily calories anymore. At the end of my week (for me it is Saturday) I go into reports and do my numbers. Adding up net calories in, and then subtracting that from calories burned and my BMR and dividing it by 3500. If it gives me a number, I know I am good, for the most part it has been pretty accurate at showing me a pound to 1.3-1.4 pounds a week and that is close to what I have been losing.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

I agreed with everything but this. I do not doubt that there may be some muscle growth in strength training, even in deficit it is minimal at best and gaining 1 lb of muscle while losing 1 lb of fat sounds awesome, it doesn't happen. A woman, in a calorie surplus and weightlifting getting optimal protein etc, would be lucky to build .25 lb of muscle with a 1 lb scale gain. We lack testosterone and then, to throw in the fact that 1200 is a pretty highly aggressive deficit, you'll be lucky to get much of anything.

Scale hindrances happen for so many reasons that aren't fat. Water retention from exercise, sodium, time of the month, lack of bowel movement all impact scale weight.

The great thing is, if you retain your current muscle, as you lose weight and fat starts to shed, you'll definitely notice a difference in being lean and having that noticeable muscle.

I'm very thankful I took up weightlifting last year when I was 50 lbs heavier. It's the best investment of my time in terms of fitness.
  • ZulyPastor95
    Options
    Honestly I'm not trying to be toned I'm just trying to be smaller to be able to fit into a small
  • ZulyPastor95
    Options
    Also to not be a size 13 anymore I want to be a 4 or 5
  • ZulyPastor95
    Options
    Anyone else that can give me useful tips ?