Long time maintainers how do you do it

Replies

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Bumping. So interesting, so want to make sure I can come back to it. Love the analogy about the bank account.
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Bump
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    5+ years. It became who I am. That's pretty much it. I love to work out and I love to watch what I eat and eat healthy.
    GREAT post!
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    This is certainly the most useful thread I have read yet! Thank you to all the contributors!!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    I have learned so much from you. I am about 5 from starting maintenance. You all validated that what I am doing is right. I eat the way I want to eat. I eat only the foods I like. Lots of fruit, vegetables, carbs in the morning, meat, fish, chicken at night and a couple of pieces of chocolate.

Lately I have been told by the people that see my food diary that I am not getting enough protein. To me, protein powder doesn't feel right. Do any of you use protein powder in your maintenance plans?

Thank you for this post, it is really helpful.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I have learned so much from you. I am about 5 from starting maintenance. You all validated that what I am doing is right. I eat the way I want to eat. I eat only the foods I like. Lots of fruit, vegetables, carbs in the morning, meat, fish, chicken at night and a couple of pieces of chocolate.

Lately I have been told by the people that see my food diary that I am not getting enough protein. To me, protein powder doesn't feel right. Do any of you use protein powder in your maintenance plans?

I do. I don't think it's necessary but I don't like meat or eggs so it's the easiest way for me to get my 105 grams. I also like protein bars-- the Quest ones also have a lot of fiber.
  • I'm on a bulk now but before this I maintained for a short time(5months). I stopped counting and didn't eat till I was actually hungry, not emotionally hungry. I made sure to have some protein with everything I ate, this helped me not eat mindlessly. In that time I had 3 birthday parties and one family reunion. At all 4 of these events I ate anything and everything I wanted.

My secret is to eat for fuel80-90% of the time, and eat for enjoyment 10-20% of the time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm

I do. I don't think it's necessary but I don't like meat or eggs so it's the easiest way for me to get my 105 grams. I also like protein bars-- the Quest ones also have a lot of fiber.
    I use quest bars as well. I eat meat and eggs, but find quest bars are a good fast breakfast, or split in half two great snacks.
  • tinallen863
    tinallen863 Posts: 50 Member
    There is a great book I read called "Thin for Life". It gives great examples of how people maintained their weight loss over years. My best advice? Make MFP part of your life just like checking your email, voicemail, and bank balance, etc every day.

What I tell my patients who want to lose weight and maintain is this:
    Think of tracking your intake and exercise is like tracking your checking account. Would you ever go to a store and swipe your debit card without ever knowing what your balance is to spend or what the price of the item your buying is? Eating without tracking is exactly this.

Who would ever go to Best Buy and just start writing a check for the prettiest washer and dryer or fanciest computer just because you were "hungry to have one"? Blind eating is just like blind spending.

Would any of us irresponsibly ask the question, "Hey when can I stop checking my balance at the bank? It's getting old seeing how much money I have or don't have every day . I just want to relax and spend freely and assume that I have unlimited funds available". Or how about, "Hey, I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks...can't I just blow a bunch of cash that I don't have and just worry about the overdraft fees later when I get home?"

I would hope not.

Your friendly Registered Dietitian
  • tinallen863
    tinallen863 Posts: 50 Member
    There is a great book I read called "Thin for Life". It gives great examples of how people maintained their weight loss over years. My best advice? Make MFP part of your life just like checking your email, voicemail, and bank balance, etc every day.

What I tell my patients who want to lose weight and maintain is this:
    Think of tracking your intake and exercise is like tracking your checking account. Would you ever go to a store and swipe your debit card without ever knowing what your balance is to spend or what the price of the item your buying is? Eating without tracking is exactly this.

Who would ever go to Best Buy and just start writing a check for the prettiest washer and dryer or fanciest computer just because you were "hungry to have one"? Blind eating is just like blind spending.

Would any of us irresponsibly ask the question, "Hey when can I stop checking my balance at the bank? It's getting old seeing how much money I have or don't have every day . I just want to relax and spend freely and assume that I have unlimited funds available". Or how about, "Hey, I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks...can't I just blow a bunch of cash that I don't have and just worry about the overdraft fees later when I get home?"

I would hope not.

Your friendly Registered Dietitian
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine,

In another thread I recently came across, a post that suggested that by continuing to log after you reach goal, you are using a crutch and should simply listen to your body. It will tell you when and what and how much to eat. Well, listening to my body got me up to 183 lbs at one point, so I'm afraid I'll just have to use my crutches for the rest of my life. My body lied to me! :devil:

It's no big hardship to weigh and measure and log. It's amazing how that 1/2 cup of rice you eye balled when measured becomes a 3/4 of a cup. To me, calling logging a crutch is like saying bikes, cars, trains and planes are crutches, cause after all, we CAN walk. Use whatever tools you need to stay on track and know exactly what you are doing.

I reached my goal in Nov 2012, gained a little back, lost that and decided to lose more as I was barely into the normal weight ratio for my height. I made that goal recently and intend to stay right here with MFP to maintain.

I do think that it seems daunting for some people to think that after they reach goal, they will have to continue to do all the things that got them to goal. It did to me in the past in my many attempts at weight loss. I thought I could reach goal then eat like "other people" again. I failed to realize that normal weighted people use tools to maintain, though it appears effortless.

Matahari (Your Friendly Registered Dietitian) makes such good analogies... my" planes, trains and automobiles" comment pales in comparison, but you get the picture.
    Yup. Just as I think there are many ways to diet, there are also many ways to maintain. Folks' posts here are evidence to that.
    cheers!:drinker:
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Before logging on MFP I lost 30ish lbs back in 2009. Started actually logging this summer to hopefully get some abs (which I assumed would take a lot more effort than the original weight loss). I kept the weight of from 09 to 14 by simply eating until I was full and watching the junk. I would allow myself a treat a day, for instance. I also tried to not sit just in general. Keeping yourself busy really helps to avoid eating when your not hungry + extra calories burned. I also found I have some food allergies- it helped a lot when I stopped eating those.

From time to time, I noticed my pants fitting tighter despite all this. I'd drop the treat and booze (would drink 1 a night) and would work out more. Usually 2 weeks later I had my pants fitting right again.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Been at it since the beginning of 2011. Logging almost every day and putting up a new progress/maintenance picture every month or so keeps me consistent.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Don't give up the whole day if you mess up.

I really, really like this. Attitude is so important for achieving any goal, but especially for long term goals.