Blahhh Chicken! Help Please?

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    When I cook chicken in a crock pot, I add in unsalted chicken broth, bay leaves, a roughly chopped onion, smached cloves of garlic, and whole peppercorns.

When it's cooked through, I drain the chicken (reservimg about 1/2 cup - 1 cup of the liquid), shred the chicken, throw it back to the hot crock pot, and add about a cup of my favorite bbq sauce. If it's too thick, add the cooking liquid until you're satisfied with the consistancy.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    I love most foods and I'm a pretty decent cook, however chicken is like my arch nemesis. I like chicken...when it's drowning in sauces and coatings so basically when it's prepared to be horrible for you. I want to be able to bake or use a slow cooker to make chicken and it be good for me but I always find it so bland and pasty/chewy. Would love to hear how you are prepping and cooking your chicken without a million ingredient expensive recipes :) Thanks!!

I don't like chicken, but I like turkey, I either rub it in steak or cajan spice (the dry type) and bake it in the oven lovely and no extra cals.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    My diet is pretty restricted and I eat almost only chicken and fish. I bake chicken breasts (seasoned) at 400 degrees for about 22 minutes and they are still juicy and flavorful. The trick is to not overcook them so they are not dry and tasteless. I also cube them and saute them in olive oil with chile powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and whatever spices you may like. A juicy leftover breast is good cut up and served in a salad also.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Why do you feel like you need to eat chicken? Especially if you don't like it? There are plenty of other much healthier protein choices out there! For example, beans, quinoa, tempeh, tofu... You can substitute tofu really well in almost any chicken recipe!
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Blackened Dijon Chicken (Peace Love & Low Carb)

INGREDIENTS:
    4-6 Ounce Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
    ¼ Cup Dijon Mustard
    3 Tbs. Blackened Seasoning

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 400°. Coat each chicken breast liberally on both sides with blackened seasoning. Brush each side with Dijon mustard. In a large, oiled skillet over medium-high heat, sear the chicken for 3 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from pan and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.

NUTRITION INFO (recipe makes 4 servings):
    Per Serving:
    Calories – 220
    Protein – 38 g
    Carbs – 1 net g
    Fat – 3 g
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    breaded and baked on 375 for 30 min...delish
  • Take boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cut them into four strips each (I use kitchen scissors). Wrap each piece with a strip of bacon (turkey bacon works also). Arrange a single layer in a glass or ceramic baking dish. Mix a can of cream of mushroom soup with about 1/4 of water. Pour over chicken/bacon and bake at 325 degrees fahrenheit. It takes between 1-1.5 hours. About 2/3 way though cooking turn the chicken over. Serve with rice. My son loves this and prefers it with basmati rice. Great for leftovers and taking to work/school to heat up in microwave.
  • Marinade skinless, boneless chicken in lemon juice. (About 30 minutes .... Don't leave it for many hours or your chicken will be yucky - I did it for 6 hours once and it was a mistake). Put rice crispies in a zip lock bag and crush them. Then put your chicken in the bag to coat with the crushed cereal. Put on baking dish. If a spot is un coated, touch with a bit of lemon juice and drop a few crumbs on the empty spot. Bake at 325 Fahrenheit for apx 1-1.5 hours. (Chicken is done when you pull the chicken apart and the meat is threaded). Timing depends on your oven and chicken breast size. You can serve with potatoes, rice, pasta or salad. It is good cut up into a salad or used in a wrap.
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Season it with Slap Ya Mama seasoning and throw it on the grill. If you can't find Slap Ya Mama, Tony Chachere's is an ok substitute.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    My go to baked chicken is full of flavor, and 2 ingredients (other than chicken).

Preheat oven to 350.
    I use boneless skinless chicken breasts, line a glass baking dish
    sprinkle McCormick salad supreme (to taste)
    Kraft parmesan cheese (about 1tbs per breast)

Cover with foil, bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes. This is all subject to the size of the chicken breasts, sometimes it is a little extra time, sometimes a little less time. It goes with just about every side dish I've ever made too :wink:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    This thread is awesome!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Hungarian style (my favorite go-to for simplicity and ease)

Sauteed chopped onions in bottom of pan
    Chicken breast on top of that
    Mix 1 tablespoon low fat sour cream with 1 teaspoon Worcestire sauce, put on top of breast
    then sprinkle sparsely with bread crumbs
    top with Hungarian paprika
    and bake

soooo simple and a much-requested pot-luck dish, scaled down for one
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    RANCH CHICKEN - ADD A PACKET OF HIDDEN VALLEY RANCH POWDER
    CHEESY SALSA CHICKEN - ADD SALSA & CHEESE
    TACO CHICKEN - ADD PACKET OF TACO SEASONING
    ONION CHICKEN - ADD PACKET OF ONION SOUP SEASONING & CRISPY ONIONS ON TOP IF YOU LIKE
    LEMON GARLIC CHICKEN - ADD GARLIC, LEMON, OREGANO, AND OTHER SPICES TO YOUR LIKING

COME ON NOW...DID YOU REALLY NEED A POST FOR THAT? THERE ARE 1000'S OF IDEAS

Come on now as you stated above, why so rude and what's with the caps??????.
  • Bonnys57
    Bonnys57 Posts: 1 Member
    My favorite easiest way to cook chicken is in my crock pot--2 boneless breasts sprinkle of pepper (I fresh grind it) and Chef Paul's seasoning blend for chicken, cook 4 hours on high
    This is so yummy and great for salads, rice, sandwiches or whatever
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    I love the recipe below, I substitute different cuts of chicken as the mood suits me, it definitely isn't bland. If you don't want to make so much chicken make up all the marinade then freeze half for next time.

http://caribbeanpot.com/a-non-traditional-stove-top-jerk-chicken/

ETA: I normally omit the salt as the soy makes it salty enough for my tastes - each to their own though
  • If you overcooked chicken, and if you like BBQ sauce you can cut up the chicken into bite sized pieces and put it in a dish or zip lock bag. Put a few tablespoons of water and BBQ sauce and shake and then cover and heat up in the microwave ... Maybe 1 min 15 secs. Don't overheat it.

You can also make a casserole with overcooked chicken. My friend used to make one with cream of chicken soup, instant rice and cooked chicken. You bake it until bubbling. I don't have the recipe at the moment as I'm having house renos done and it is packed. If you want me to send it to you later, message me and I will follow up with you when I unpack.

Also, when you cook chicken pieces, it is best to let them sit for 10 minutes after you take them out of the oven. It helps to seal in the juice. Same goes for a whole chicken or turkey. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes before carving; otherwise it dries out fast if you cut into it right away. FYI
  • Sun24Spot
    Sun24Spot Posts: 4 Member
    Try a basic Chicken Adobo recipe in the crock pot. Garlic, Onion, Apple Cider Vinegar, Soy Sauce.

Boneless and Skinless? Add a little olive oil.

For some reason the vinegar tends to make it more moist.

Now you can play with oregano or whatever spices you like. Dill is good too. Turmeric and Dill is a good combo...
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Bump
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    RANCH CHICKEN - ADD A PACKET OF HIDDEN VALLEY RANCH POWDER
    CHEESY SALSA CHICKEN - ADD SALSA & CHEESE
    TACO CHICKEN - ADD PACKET OF TACO SEASONING
    ONION CHICKEN - ADD PACKET OF ONION SOUP SEASONING & CRISPY ONIONS ON TOP IF YOU LIKE
    LEMON GARLIC CHICKEN - ADD GARLIC, LEMON, OREGANO, AND OTHER SPICES TO YOUR LIKING

COME ON NOW...DID YOU REALLY NEED A POST FOR THAT? THERE ARE 1000'S OF IDEAS

Come on now... stop shouting, it's rude. And can you come up with thousands of ideas that don't involve packets of sodium? That'd be cool.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    I like the swanson broths to cook chicken with. My favorite is the tortilla soup one but original works too. Use this instead of oil or butter and it turns out yummy and moist. I also make chicken tacos. I have a recipe I am trying tomorrow that calls for a glaze made out of brown sugar, fresh garlic, and olive oil but I am using the cooking spay instead of oil. You just glaze and bake. I found it on facebook (myfridgefood.com), I am also planning on making a sesame chicken and stir fry vegie (low cal style)... chicken doesn't have to be dry and bland. Just try out new recipes. I have many recipe pages that show up on my facebook page and I also go on youtube for ideas. You can also make mashed potatoe flake or corn flake "breaded" chicken. its really good.