i am so frustrated!!!

:explode:

ok i'm still a newbie at this so i need help from those that are experienced...

background:

had a baby 7.5 months ago. gained 70 lbs. for the last 7.5 weeks i've been here religiously watching my calories (no more than 1200 for the first 5 weeks until someone pointed out that i'm not eating enough cals then i increased to 1800 plus exercise cals). i've increased my exercise, joined curves about 2 weeks ago, work out there at least 4 times a week, plus yoga at home, walking dogs & baby everyday and normal everyday activity.

i have not lost ANYTHING!!!

i know it's only been two weeks since i increased cals and upped my exercise but i hear of people losing "water weight" or whatever for the first few weeks. shouldn't i have at least lost water??? omfg even if i just saw the scale move a half a pound i think i'd keel over and die of happiness. why is this taking so long for me? i feel like i'm doing this for nothing and working so hard for nothing. what can i do to "kick start" my metabolism? should i do some sort of fast or something just until i start to lose?

help!

Replies

• Chug_n_Fly
    Chug_n_Fly Posts: 10 Member
    :explode:

ok i'm still a newbie at this so i need help from those that are experienced...

background:

had a baby 7.5 months ago. gained 70 lbs. for the last 7.5 weeks i've been here religiously watching my calories (no more than 1200 for the first 5 weeks until someone pointed out that i'm not eating enough cals then i increased to 1800 plus exercise cals). i've increased my exercise, joined curves about 2 weeks ago, work out there at least 4 times a week, plus yoga at home, walking dogs & baby everyday and normal everyday activity.

i have not lost ANYTHING!!!

i know it's only been two weeks since i increased cals and upped my exercise but i hear of people losing "water weight" or whatever for the first few weeks. shouldn't i have at least lost water??? omfg even if i just saw the scale move a half a pound i think i'd keel over and die of happiness. why is this taking so long for me? i feel like i'm doing this for nothing and working so hard for nothing. what can i do to "kick start" my metabolism? should i do some sort of fast or something just until i start to lose?

help!
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    It took me three weeks to lose anything, and now, about 5-6 weeks in, I've lost 8 pounds, but I think I may have plateaued. There is nothing smooth about this, and no magical number to tell us when to expect to lose weight. But someone will probably post that knows quite a bit about this and can tell you what is going on.
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    I gained 60 with my second pregnancy.

I found that I didn't lose weight easily at all while nursing and for about a month or two after weaning my children. I know some people who lose best while nursing --- but that did not apply at all to me. So that may be part of it. Your body may still be holding on to pounds to support your nursing if you are still breastfeeding at all.

I did lose that 60 and maintained it for about 6 years and now I've gained 10 (because I lowered my exercise a lot to focus on grad school and having been dealing with some stressful family situations as well.) The scale is not moving for me right now, so I do feel your pain.

I also know that you might be losing fat and gaining muscles at a similar rate of weight -- and that BINGO suddenly, if you keep the faith and keep doing what you need to be doing -- that everything will start to fall into place. As it has only been two weeks or so with you eating / exercising in about the right ratios just be patient. (Tough to say and tougher to hear.)

You can do it. I can do it. We will do it if we just keep doing what we're doing.:flowerforyou:
  • hnlymark
    hnlymark Posts: 191
    This may sound stupid, but have you taken any measurements? You might be losing fat but, due to your workouts, building muscle to replace the fat with. I was stuck at a weight for a while but my waist measurement was getting smaller! I've heard others experience this as well. I usually measure about once a week. Just a thought...
  • roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    OMG...that is me exacly...I've been so faithful, and I did the same thing, eating only 1200 cals a day...and someone pointed out the same thing to me, so I upped my cals and my workouts, and I have not lost a single pound!!!! I soooo feel your pain. I was put on bed rest with my first child and gained 90 lbs, and I have never lost any of it. I am right here with you girl...but we can do it, there is a great support system here...someone has always been there when I needed a positive word or two. I know you can do it...If I can do it anyone can. Good luck to you.
  • sebaseth
    sebaseth Posts: 123 Member
    I drink only water, atleast 64 oz per day. I eat egg & cheese in the morning on a piece of 40 cal toast w/ the I can't believe it's not butter in the spray form. At lunch I eat 4 oz of a lean protein with either 8 oz of raw veggies or 4 oz of cooked veggies I also have a small peice of fruit or a 1/2 cup of fruit. At dinner I follow the same menu as lunch but add a slice of 40 cal bread with spray butter. I do not snack in between. When I first started this I did snack for the first couple days if I got hungry before a meal on an extra piece of fruit so I didn't get that sicky/hungry feeling. This has been helping me to melt the weight off. I have been doing this since July 2nd. If you can picture yourself at your goal weight then you will achieve your goal. A hugh part is believing that you can do. As you can see with all the people here it can be done. I know you can do it!! By following this you are going to get rid of your stored fat. You may try a few different things before you find your groove. I hope this helps!!
  • Chug_n_Fly
    OMG...that is me exacly...I've been so faithful, and I did the same thing, eating only 1200 cals a day...and someone pointed out the same thing to me, so I upped my cals and my workouts, and I have not lost a single pound!!!! I soooo feel your pain. I was put on bed rest with my first child and gained 90 lbs, and I have never lost any of it. I am right here with you girl...but we can do it, there is a great support system here...someone has always been there when I needed a positive word or two. I know you can do it...If I can do it anyone can. Good luck to you.

and i was thinking it was just me... it seems like everyone else is losing at least something and while i'm esctatic for them it makes me wonder what the heck i'm doing wrong. thanks for the words of encouragement :)
  • Chug_n_Fly
    thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. do you guys eat all of your exercise cals or just some?

i'm feeling a little less blah today - i guess i'll just exercise even harder. does anyone do hip hop abs? i'm going to try it today and if i like it i'll add it to my workouts

and hnlymark i'm going to take my measurements again too just to be sure, thanks for that tip!

it's a new day...
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    After my 3rd baby I decided to take off the weight, and I started watching what I ate and exercising, and at first I didn't lose a lot (gained muscle and lost fat), but I looked a lot better. Then it just seemed like after a while the weight melted off. Good luck and hang in there, it's worth it.