low calorie substitute for chocolate

So I convinced the husband to try losing a few pounds as I get back into the habit but he is a chocolate junkie. I'm looking for any tips on healthy ways to satisfy his chocolate cravings, at least for the first week. :)

Replies

• woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Smaller portions. The subs gets close, but they're never quite the same.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I add cocoa powder to yogurt and to protein shakes.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    If he can switch to dark chocolate, it has relatively few calories per serving and is so rich and chocolatey he may be satisfied with less. (At least it works for me.) 1 square of Green and Black is under 30 calories. Of course, you have to hide the rest of the bar. :smile:
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member

This is a good option I use every so often. But mostly, less chocolate is the better way to go.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member

This is a good option I use every so often. But mostly, less chocolate is the better way to go.

Wait what?? Less chocolate? What does that even mean?? Is this some sort of crazy language... :wink:
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Eating a smaller portion of it?
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    I'm into dark chocolate, too. I currently have Lindt Extra Dark Chocolate Truffles. 70 calories and 4 grams of sugar per truffle. Oh, yeah and the moderation thing.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Buy him some cocoa dusted nuts
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Just stop liking it.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    No substitute. I'd rather have a small quantity of very good chocolate than some kind of mediocre substitute. Just buy the good dark stuff. I have a bar of Godiva dark in my cupboard and allow myself 2 squares a day. Also one of my diet recipe books has a recipe for a "sundae" where you melt a small square of dark chocolate and then add it to 1/2 cup of yogurt and maybe a tbs of granola or crunchy cereal. It comes to only around 150 calories and is quite satisfying.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Supdark chocolate is the way to go. I'm a chocoholic and actually find I struggle to eat more than a couple squares. I do wonder if it's really the chocolate I crave or the sugar/combination of sugar and fat. Either way, the darker stuff takes away my compulsion to keep going back for more
  • Ni_La82
    Ni_La82 Posts: 16 Member
    Maybe Carob chips are an option?

I'm also a chocolate junkie; I could eat it every day. I've used chocolate flavored protein bars as a meal replacement which seems to help curb that craving.

I'll still have a piece of chocolate once in a while (especially if i'm having a good week)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/296593-nutrition-in-carob-vs-chocolate/
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    I drink chocolate flavored protein shakes so it takes care some of my protein needs and satisfies my chocolate graving too. Or chocolate protein bars...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    choc proats or protein sludge
  • qotsagirl314
    qotsagirl314 Posts: 20 Member
    sugarfree fudgsicles and hot chocolate
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    I like to melt a square or two of dark chocolate in my oatmeal. Really rich and makes me feel that I'm eating more chocolate than I actually am.
  • MelanieEaton_
    MelanieEaton_ Posts: 17 Member
    Chocolate Pudding and/or Fun Size Candy Bars. Also, I like Martha White's Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffin mix. One muffin is 160 calories, but they are yummy and one usually satisfies my chocolate craving :)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Sugar-free fudgsicles, sugar-free chocolate pudding, sugar-free hot chocolate, a little bit of high-quality dark chocolate, add cocoa powder to other food (and maybe some stevia if you want it sweeter without calories).

Also, I used to get 70% dark chocolate chips from Girardelli and have a serving of them (IIRC, it was maybe 15?, but they're big chips) but I'd eat them one at a time & let them melt on my tongue to get the most/longest chocolate flavor from them.

Oh, and chocolate Chex cereal. 1 serving is 0.75 cup and 130 calories. I eat it dry. Very chocolatey!
  • haniscor
    haniscor Posts: 9 Member
    Dark chocolate covered dried mango (or orange peel) does it for me. Small portions and so good.

Since it is fruit, it must be healthy, right?
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    No substitute. I'd rather have a small quantity of very good chocolate than some kind of mediocre substitute. Just buy the good dark stuff. I have a bar of Godiva dark in my cupboard and allow myself 2 squares a day.

^this. The substitutes are terrible and do not satisfy ( they just make you want the real stuff more and then you splurge and over indulge. Go with a nice dark good quality chocolate and have just a bit. You can save the rest for later