One month at MFP

girlviernes
girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
I’ve always scoffed at calorie counting in the past. It seemed too unnatural, too much of a pain. I had better ways to manage my weight. Well those ways worked just fine, except that I didn’t have accountability or the day in and day out focus.

About 3 months ago, again at my lifetime highest weight of 256, I had a serious health scare. Basically, I have stenosis or plaque build up in my carotid arteries, which puts me at risk for a stroke or heart attack. I’m only 35 years old.

I started making some gradual changes. I had a big move which luckily got me out of my old environment and I had a chance to set up new habits. I started bringing my lunch. I started taking dance classes again. In my first class I could barely make it through two songs. I did gradually lose some weight. But I was still binge eating and not paying much attention to my overall intake.

About a month ago, things finally clicked into place. I needed to make this my number one priority. I picked up a supply of healthy foods. Something told me to go back to myfitnesspal and start logging. My first goal was just to log and be accountable. It was tough, I think the second day I was here I binged and I did not want to think about it or write it down. But I did. And that was so freeing. I realized that it was a big success to be willing to look at exactly what I was doing. And I haven’t binged since.

It’s been 28 days without binging. 30 days of logging. I weighed in at 236 lbs this morning -20 lbs down. I can now dance for several hours straight, even with energy to keep on kicking past midnight. I see foods like donuts and chocolate covered pretzels in the office and hardly think twice about them. I’ve joined two September challenges which has really pushed me to work out every day.

Which isn’t to say everything is perfect. I stay up too late. I watch too much TV. Sometimes I eat when I am bored rather than when I am hungry. I’m eating way too much sodium. I get a bit obsessive about the forums here and the number on the scale. I’ve been battling pretty profound fatigue. But I feel like I have such a great foundation here that I am confident that I will tackle and work through these issues as well. Calorie counting has actually given me the freedom not to need to be perfect but to be objective and accountable and know that I will keep going no matter what.

A huge part of this has been the support from people here. I’ve gotten great advice and support. It’s amazing the difference one month makes!

Replies

• newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    It's so great to hear that you have had such early success! I did notice you mentioned you are exercising every day and battling fatigue. It's okay to take rest days. Your body needs them as much as it needs the workouts. Rest days allow your body to repair the muscle tearing that workouts create so that you can get stronger muscles. Also, 20 lbs in 30 days is really rapid weight loss. It should start to slow down pretty soon. Just don't give up!
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Congrats on your success so far! This is a great post for you to refer back to as you continue to work towards your goals, to remind you of what you are capable of and how good it's making you feel. I wish you the best of luck as you move forward!
  • girlviernes
    Sorry to be confusing - the 20 lbs is actually since June, about 10 weeks or even a little longer.

I really don't think the fatigue has to do with the exercise- but I will keep that in mind. I have been upping my calories as well to see if that helps. However, I think the fatigue is something else, possibly anemia or hormonal. I am going to see a doctor in about 2 weeks and will hopefully figure this out. The curious thing is that the fatigue is worst when I am just sitting at work. Once I get myself moving then it doesn't seem to be present.
  • girlviernes
    Congrats on your success so far! This is a great post for you to refer back to as you continue to work towards your goals, to remind you of what you are capable of and how good it's making you feel. I wish you the best of luck as you move forward!

Thanks!! I know it is quite early to post a success post, but I'm just so happy with the direction I am heading right now. I think this will be very helpful to look back at in the future.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Great job! I think the accountability is a great motivator too. Cheers to becoming healthier.
  • taryninoly
    taryninoly Posts: 45 Member
    That is SO AWESOME! MFP is a lifesaver isn't it???? Seriously I am smiling at your success :drinker: (of coffee!)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    It’s been 28 days without binging.
    30 days of logging.
    I weighed in at 236 lbs this morning - 20 lbs down.
    I can now dance for several hours straight, even with energy to keep on kicking past midnight.
    I see foods like donuts and chocolate covered pretzels in the office and hardly think twice about them.
    I’ve joined two September challenges which has really pushed me to work out every day.
    A whole bunch of victories to celebrate! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :happy:
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Excellent! KUTGW! You are worth it!
  • Rebeccas_Life
    Rebeccas_Life Posts: 58 Member
    Thanks for sharing such a motivating post! I'm about your age and weight, and knowing that there are other people out there finding success on MFP is a great thing to hear :smile: Congrats on your success so far!!
  • girlviernes
    Thanks for all the support, you guys!

*big smile*
  • jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    That is awesome work.

I am on day 27 and lost 7 lbs. I don't know how, but I did. I am set at 1 lbs a week, and personally I have sucked (As in sucked in a lot of food) on more than one day.

I am pretty happy tracking my calories. I feel like it is an education in the process, I didn't take the weight off overnight and it's gonna take time. So be it, not a big deal. I gots time (I hope!!.

There are foods that I thought were not that high in calories, that are! So now if I eat those I know I have to be careful.
  • iamcherylb
    iamcherylb Posts: 10 Member
    Big YAY! and Go You!
  • girlviernes
    Thanks Jazzie and iamcherylb! Yes it's very educational to log. I'm also often surprised at how few calories some of my meals add up to!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    After one month on MFP (over a year ago) I also knew I was on the right track and felt great. Just keep going, no matter what. Wishing you a great success story in the future, since you've gotten off to a good start. Best. :smile:
  • rockstar53
    rockstar53 Posts: 215 Member
    Way to go!! I'm about the same in terms of how long I've been logging. It sure does help!!
  • gem_192
    gem_192 Posts: 20 Member
    This is very inspiring. I'm one week in, 6lbs down and love seeing stories like yours. Something I found helped with my fatigue (which was similar to what you're describing, worst when inactive and making it v difficult to get moving but once I'm there it's better) was taking an iron fortified cereal. So maybe get your iron levels checked? Good luck on the rest of your journey!
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    This is why I love MFP so much! Great job. It really becomes an addiction and it has made it so hard for me to be bad. I really want to see the numbers look right every day. Keep up the great work!
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Great job. Keep it up!
  • girlviernes
    This is very inspiring. I'm one week in, 6lbs down and love seeing stories like yours. Something I found helped with my fatigue (which was similar to what you're describing, worst when inactive and making it v difficult to get moving but once I'm there it's better) was taking an iron fortified cereal. So maybe get your iron levels checked? Good luck on the rest of your journey!

Thanks for your suggestion. I was noticing that I have been tending to want to eat more seaweed and protein bars, and both of them I realized have a fair amount of iron. I wonder if that is why. I'm planning to ask them to check iron next week.

Yep, I really like being in the green each day :)
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Hi ex-binge-eater :smile:

I love reading these success stories. Yours is great just for the lifestyle change on its own. And you've lost weight and clearly loving the new you. Keep it going.

Being honest with yourself is always the best way but isn't always the easiest.

Well done and be proud of yourself.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!