Any good low-calorie "pizza" recipes?

ell_23
ell_23 Posts: 103
Particularly recipes perhaps made with tortilla wraps or something instead of dough bases?

And how do you cook the vegetables that I might put on a pizza? Do you boil them or oven cook them separately a little first or let the oven cook them on the pizza? Things like broccoli, peppers, spinach, onions.

Replies

• cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    There is good recipes using cauliflower and almond flour or whole wheat flour I found it on pinterest.
  • jeanned054
    jeanned054 Posts: 1 Member
    I use flatbread, layer a thin layer or tomato paste, then layer with spinach, fresh tomato slices. For the veggies, I like onions, green pepper and mushrooms, I usually boil them for about 10 min. a saute pan to soften them. Then use on the pizza. For protein I will use already cooked chicken (usually leftovers) I then use parmesan shaved cheese on top with some fresh basil.
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    My fav homemade pizza is veggie pizza done on the grill. It is dough based, though. We grill up green peppers, onion, mushrooms, and tomatoes and then chop them up. We use refrigerated dough. Divide into individual servings and flatten out. Toss on a well oiled grill until one side is done. Flip and do the other side a little bit, but pull it off before it's done. Load the side that's done with sauce, all those veggies and some cheese. Toss it back on the grill to finish cooking the crust, reheat the veggies and melt the cheese.
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Portobello pizza. Use a portobello mushroom cap as the "crust". Heat it in the oven for a bit and top with sauce, veggies and cheese. Put under the broiler to finish off.
  • tweetsmom
    tweetsmom Posts: 31 Member
    I use Joseph's multigrain flatbread. I spray it with nonstick spray and bake it for a few minutes (gives a crispier "crust", then remove and put on my sauce, sliced onions, mushrooms, and cheese. Yummy!
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/34149/cauliflower+crust+pizza

This recipe uses cauliflower to make the dough and is only 219 calories per serve.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    This is how I do tortilla pizzas. I have put all kinds of toppings on them. Leftover BBQ pulled chicken, just veggies, turkey pepperoni or supreme style. I have even put an egg on it. http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/breakfast-pizza.html

Tomato and Breakfast Bacon Pizza
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/04/tomato-and-breakfast-bacon-pizza.html
    Serves 2

Ingredients

2 - 6" flour tortilla
    2 Tbsp. pizza sauce
    3 - 4 Tbsp. Italian cheese blend
    1 tomato, sliced
    2 slice precooked bacon, chopped
    2 tsp. Parmesan cheese
    Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Place a sheet pan upside down on the middle rack of the oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Place tortillas on a piece of aluminum foil. Spread a tablespoon of pizza sauce on each. Top with 1 tbsp. or more of Italian cheese blend, tomato and bacon. Sprinkle the top of each pizza with 1 tsp. Parmesan cheese and fresh cracked pepper. Place your tortilla and foil on the sheet pan in the center of the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the foil and enjoy!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    A traditional thin crust margherita pizza is a much better tasting alternative, and really doesn't have that many calories. Specific will depend on the recipe.
  • MiaisMIAinMiami
    MiaisMIAinMiami Posts: 196 Member
    When I'm dying for pizza and don't gave the calorie budget for dough I use zucchini.

Just cut a zucchini (or yellow squash, eggplant, etc) in half length-wise, scoop some of the inside and fill with diced tomatoes. Sprinkle it with cheese, garlic, oregano, and other toppings if you want and bake for like 15-20 min (longer for eggplant).
  • mikeqyu
    mikeqyu Posts: 13 Member
    Great idea Miiimiii225
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    I make pita bread pizzas. I use whole wheat pita bread pockets, 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce, a quarter cup of reduced fat shredded cheese, and 6 slices of turkey pepperoni. I usually make mine in the toaster oven, but bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees. They taste just like thin-crust pizza and are very satisfying for pizza cravings! It comes out to 250 calories per whole pizza, which is better calorie-wise than most single slices of regular pizza... because let's face it, it is hard to stop at one slice! :wink:
  • kwiatrtdy
    kwiatrtdy Posts: 383 Member
    My cheat is to buy supermarket own brand, value cheese and tomato pizzas. They tend to be a little bit smaller than the others and have a lot less cheese on them. I then add my own topping, my favourite is pineapple and sweetcorn, straight from the tins. It usually comes to around 650 calories per pizza then.

I think Dr Oetker used to do pizza's that were only 310 calories each. I can't seem to find them in the shops any more but they were delicious.
  • willodawisp85
    willodawisp85 Posts: 25 Member
    I love all types of pizza whether takeaway, stuff crust, flatbread, pitta, tortilla or cauliflower. Anything I can put cheese and tomato sauce on basically is alright by me.

The lower calorie ones are typically the thin crust types. I also make pizza pitta or pizza tortilla which can be pretty low cal depending on your topping. Just put your sauce, cheese and toppings on a pitta bread or tortilla and pop under the grill. I like my veggies crunchy so I put them on raw. If you want them done more just roast them in the oven with a small drizzle of oil for around 20 minutes first. I have seen cauliflower pizza get a bit of hate on here, but if you cook it right it's very nice and good if you want low carb base (I'm not low carb but I tried it anyway as I am weird and love cauliflower). It is a bit of faff to make though, so I don't make it often.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    I use a multigrain tortilla, add a tiny bit of sauce, then layer on feta cheese, spinach, diced tomatoes, and onion
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Thin crust, minimal toppings, and a reasonable portion. Make it yourself, any pizza you like, and enter the recipe in the recipe builder.

Don't complicate it. Pizza dough, when it is made thin, is not bad. Take a normal pizza crust recipe and cut the ball of dough in half. Voila! half the calories.
  • I use Thomas 100 cal English muffins, a low calorie pizza sauce, low-fat mozzarella cheese, and veggies I sees it with basil and oregano and four for little mini pizzas it is under 400 cal
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Naan pizza with prosciutto! My favorite pizza is regular crust & sausage, but when I want a lighter option I grab naan, put on some sauce, throw down some slices of prosciutto, add some fresh mozzarella then add some veggies. Toast up in a hot oven (400 - 425 degrees) for 7-8 minutes. Nom nom nom. Sometimes I"ll use Canadian bacon too, the brand I buy is only 30 calories a slice.

To edit, homemade thin crust pizza isn't that bad in calories either, just watch the portion on top. I do this AT LEAST once a month and it doesn't cause me to go over calories at all, with still eating 2 other meals in a day.