Mcdonalds? Other fast food?

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    if you are trying to eat healthy, whole, fresh foods, I don't know why you would even want to put the garbage that is fast food in your body.

Alright then, Judgey McJudgerton. It's possible that your personal definition of garbage isn't universal.
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 122 Member
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/on-the-go/healthy-fast-foods/

This link gives a break down of the healthiest options in the most common fast food joints.

Enjoy and hope this helps!

This is so helpful, thank you!!! Printing and keeping in my car!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I want someone to give me an in-depth, scientific reason as to why Big Macs are bad for me. Please use reputable sources that aren't just Google searches. Peer reviewed studies that are statistically sound would be great, but I'm not counting on anyone finding anything.
    I am pretty sure McDonald's is good for you. You can't argue with graphs.

mcd+vs+heart+attack+death.jpg
    LOL. Gotta love graphs!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    McDs - im a sucker for a big mac and fries. a quarter pounder will do nicely as well.

Wendys - i love their spicy chicken sandwich and fries. last week i had a baconator, and upgraded to a pretzel bun. best decision i've made in YEARS. also frosty.

Burger King - im not big on BK, though in a pinch, i usually hit the dollar menu pretty hard. couple whopper jrs, but now that chicken fries are back.....

Steak n Shake - I dont live in an area blessed with this wonderful franchise. combo meals for $4?! STOP IT! last time i was in FL i got a triple something....maybe 1/2 lb? i dont recall, but it was good and their fries are also quite nice.

Krystal Burger - again, not in my region, but last time i was in GA i got a 24 pack for $24. half chicken, half beef. really fun. something about mowing down 10 after a night of drinking made me feel accomplished.

Taco Bell - this is my go-to fast food. usually a 6-pack of crunchy with a ton of fire sauce. if im feeling super hungry, i'll score myself a chalupa or a crunch wrap.

Subway - i like their BLT on italian cheese bread. xtra bacon, jalepenos, pickles, pepperjack cheese, and that chipotle sauce

i need access to an in n out burger. i hear its magical.

Uh... I don't know if the OP was asking what you think tastes good. I think it had to do with caloric content...
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Meh, it's overrated. It's no 5 Guys, that's for sure.

Blasphemy! You probably ordered from the regular menu and not the secret menu. Animal Style, grilled onions...if you're going to do In N Out, you have to order from the secret menu. And you can get as many patties and cheese slices that you want. So you can get a 3x3 Animal Style... or two of them if you're a teenage boy.
    Good, but still, there are equal or better burgers out there that don't include a 20 minute wait. And I can get mine with sweet potato fries at the Habit :wink:

tumblr_m8337fJ7p31qiwrhw.gif
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    McDs - im a sucker for a big mac and fries. a quarter pounder will do nicely as well.

Wendys - i love their spicy chicken sandwich and fries. last week i had a baconator, and upgraded to a pretzel bun. best decision i've made in YEARS. also frosty.

Burger King - im not big on BK, though in a pinch, i usually hit the dollar menu pretty hard. couple whopper jrs, but now that chicken fries are back.....

Steak n Shake - I dont live in an area blessed with this wonderful franchise. combo meals for $4?! STOP IT! last time i was in FL i got a triple something....maybe 1/2 lb? i dont recall, but it was good and their fries are also quite nice.

Krystal Burger - again, not in my region, but last time i was in GA i got a 24 pack for $24. half chicken, half beef. really fun. something about mowing down 10 after a night of drinking made me feel accomplished.

Taco Bell - this is my go-to fast food. usually a 6-pack of crunchy with a ton of fire sauce. if im feeling super hungry, i'll score myself a chalupa or a crunch wrap.

Subway - i like their BLT on italian cheese bread. xtra bacon, jalepenos, pickles, pepperjack cheese, and that chipotle sauce

Uh... I don't know if the OP was asking what you think tastes good. I think it had to do with caloric content...
    Actually, she asked what was HEALTHY and wouldn't leave her starving.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    if you are trying to eat healthy, whole, fresh foods, I don't know why you would even want to put the garbage that is fast food in your body.

meangirls6_zps4521d2a6.gif
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    I know fast food is the devil to most, but some people love it. I love to get it 2-3 times a week, but I feel like I choose decent options.

Here is what I always order:
    Chick Fil A--Cobb salad with grilled nuggets, fat free honey mustard dressing, only use half.
    Chargrilled chicken sandwich with half bun, only half the packet of the honey roasted sauce.

Taco Bell--Protein power bowl, chicken, 1/2 rice.
    Fresco style chicken burrito supreme.
    Beef crunchy fresco style taco

Subway---anything on the 6 grams of fat or less menu. No cheese, spicy brown mustard. Baked lays. I love their grilled chicken chopped salad too. No cheese, just TONS of veggies, fat free honey mustard dressing, croutons.

Burger King--I don't eat much here, because there aren't too many healthy options. Their salads are ok, as long as you use your own dressing and a whopper jr with no cheese is ok.

Wendy's--a baked potato and side caesar salad with half the dressing. Or a small chili with no cheese, but one pk of saltines. I also have tried to full size BBQ ranch grilled chicken salad with 1 dressing instead of 2 and it's pretty good.

McDonalds--I dread eating at this place. It's gross. If i have no other option though, I get the grilled chicken southwest salad with half dressing and a chocolate chip cookie...because, well...those are very good there. :) Their fruit and yogurt parfait's are pretty good, but loaded with sugar. Once a year i may get a fish sandwich from there.

I have low bp and my doctor has told me sodium isnt an issue for me...so maybe that's why I crave eating out so much, but I'm pretty sure it's a mental thing. :)

Good luck on eating healthier out and about!
  • abear007
    abear007 Posts: 84 Member
    It really depends on the place and on you, but for myself I'd try to keep the sugar grams out of the stratosphere. That would mean a diet drink of some kind - or water, while laying off the deserts. There will be some in the bun of whatever sandwich you eat, but that's not not too bad. I tend not to worry about the fat content, so I might even make it a double (if it's a burger).

Of course it's still a calorie thing so I'd be sure to recognize that I probably just ate 3/4 of my alloted cals for that day.
  • JustinAnimal

I guess I don't see your point in responding to me. I understand she asked what was healthy and wouldn't leave her starving. My point still stands. I don't see a big mac and fries as the "healthy" option at mcdonald's, whether we're talking caloric content or macros. I don't see " BLT on italian cheese bread. xtra bacon, jalepenos, pickles, pepperjack cheese, and that chipotle sauce" as the "healthy" option for Subway.

I would expect something like "egg whites with no mayo" or "salad with minimal dressing," as traditional responses to this question. Did you meant to capitalize the "wouldn't leave her starving" portion of the quote?
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    If I go to places like that I look for a grilled chicken wrap, I used to love eating the fries but have tryed to bypass those. But if I really need some I ask for the kid size fries.
  • EvanKeel

I guess I don't see your point in responding to me. I understand she asked what was healthy and wouldn't leave her starving. My point still stands. I don't see a big mac and fries as the "healthy" option at mcdonald's, whether we're talking caloric content or macros. I don't see " BLT on italian cheese bread. xtra bacon, jalepenos, pickles, pepperjack cheese, and that chipotle sauce" as the "healthy" option for Subway.

I would expect something like "egg whites with no mayo" or "salad with minimal dressing," as traditional responses to this question. Did you meant to capitalize the "wouldn't leave her starving" portion of the quote?

I don't see how you could possibly determine what's healthy for someone else in terms of calories or macros without more information, but you're still choosing to see a Big Mac as unhealthy.

There's nothing wrong with egg yolks, mayo, or fat in general. Thus, there's no reason to avoid them provided that they don't keep a food item from meeting caloric and macro goals...which is completely possible.

Let's look at a Big Mac:

530 calories
    24g of prot
    27g of fat
    27g of carbs

For macro balance, it's slightly low in protein for the calories (for my liking), but 530 calories is not a lot. I could easily make up that relative lack of protein in another meal.
  • JustinAnimal

I don't see how you could possibly determine what's healthy for someone else in terms of calories or macros without more information, but you're still choosing to see a Big Mac as unhealthy.

There's nothing wrong with egg yolks, mayo, or fat in general. Thus, there's no reason to avoid them provided that they don't keep a food item from meeting caloric and macro goals...which is completely possible.

Let's look at a Big Mac:

530 calories
    24g of prot
    27g of fat
    27g of carbs

For macro balance, it's slightly low in protein for the calories (for my liking), but 530 calories is not a lot. I could easily make up that relative lack of protein in another meal.

Well, I'm not disagreeing with you. I think for most people, avoiding this food is helpful b/c the convenience, price and caloric content of this food most likely was a contributing factor to where they are now... wanting to lose weight. But then, I'm assuming people on this site are trying to lose and not gain. I was, as you've pointed out, speaking generally. I wasn't trying to hide that fact, either.

any chance you're willing to admit you're playing devil's advocate on this one? Like I understand CICO, but as I said before, it's hard to eat under a goal when you eat fast food, because it's calorie dense. do you really disagree with me, or devil's advocate?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

Let's look at a Big Mac:

530 calories
    24g of prot
    27g of fat
    27g of carbs

Yeah the macros are pretty good. My issue is that it's really not much food for the calories. I mean... I can make a pretty huge burger at home for 530 calories, and it will keep me full much longer than a Big Mac.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I went to Jimmy Johns today and had the tuna and I added cheese. All told it came in around 800 calories for lunch. That's a big lunch for me but completely workable. And it was delicious.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    The water is about all you can really eat. Mcdonald's has apple fries that might be ok. But eating like you have is why you are where you're at now.
    Fast food is noting but a chemical **** storm.

tumblr_m1vknqkfDX1qeyt27o1_500.gif
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    McDonald's has a “Favorites Under 400” menu on their website, but that does not include sauces, salad dressings, custom orders and additional condiments. You might want to check it out. I swore off McDonald’s etc 10 months ago because of the huge amount of weight I needed to lose and there would be no way of staying within my daily calorie target. Good Luck!
  • EvanKeel

Let's look at a Big Mac:

530 calories
    24g of prot
    27g of fat
    27g of carbs

Well, I'm not disagreeing with you. I think for most people, avoiding this food is helpful b/c the convenience, price and caloric content of this food most likely was a contributing factor to where they are now... wanting to lose weight. But then, I'm assuming people on this site are trying to lose and not gain. I was, as you've pointed out, speaking generally. I wasn't trying to hide that fact, either.

any chance you're willing to admit you're playing devil's advocate on this one? Like I understand CICO, but as I said before, it's hard to eat under a goal when you eat fast food, because it's calorie dense. do you really disagree with me, or devil's advocate?

Yeah, I'd have to say I disagree with you. The difficulty really just varies by person, and it varies by what you get when you get fast food.

The degree of difficulty is going to be variable by what you get when you eat fast food, how often you do it, and what else you're eating that day (to say nothing of goals and activity, etc). And given all that, I think general statements are pretty useless.

I could construct a weekly scenario when it's pretty easy to eat fast food 1/day, and I could also construct a scenario when it would make meeting calorie and macros way more difficult. I could have a double quarter pounder for lunch everyday and not really have a problem with the rest of the day as far as calories and macros go. Now, if I chose to each a large pepperoni pizza from pizza hut everyday, that would be an entirely different story. Way more calories there, with macros out of balance (for me).
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    At McDonald's I usually just get the Grilled Southwest Chicken Salad because I like it, but if it's a dollar menu day I get the McChicken with mustard instead of mayo. There is nothing wrong with mayo, but I worked fast food as a kid and that stuff would sit out all day and get gelatinous and gross.

I have never seen a fast food place that does not have a grilled chicken sandwich option. That will usually be a decent choice for a higher protein/lower calorie sandwich. If you have extra calories for fries go for it, but most places will let you switch out for a side salad instead.