OT: Las Vegas

Hello everyone...I currently live near Chicago and my husband wants to relocate to Las Vegas to attend a program at UNLV. I am a teacher and just finished my admin master's program. Can anyone give me some feedback about Vegas? I've been to the strip before, we're not big gamblers...but what is the rest of the town like? I heard the education system (Clark County) is in complete shambles which would not be good for me and my field... but we're going to visit over December break so what should I expect???? SCARED to move though...relocating has to be hard.

Replies

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Hello everyone...I currently live near Chicago and my husband wants to relocate to Las Vegas to attend a program at UNLV. I am a teacher and just finished my admin master's program. Can anyone give me some feedback about Vegas? I've been to the strip before, we're not big gamblers...but what is the rest of the town like? I heard the education system (Clark County) is in complete shambles which would not be good for me and my field... but we're going to visit over December break so what should I expect???? SCARED to move though...relocating has to be hard.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    It is wonderful in Vegas. I have 2 sisters that live there and they never go to the strip. It was so quiet and clean there i have never seen anything like it. i live in Illinois in an industrial town so it was a big change for me when i went out there. My one sister lived only 3 or 4 blocks off the strip and it was like two different worlds, he r neighborhood was so quiet and peaceful, just all around nice. I loved it, almost missed my plane home cause i didn't want to leave :tongue:
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    The area around Vegas has some awesome sights. Once you leave the glitz and glamor:glasses: of the strip and head out there are several great parks...one Red Rock Canyon ( I think) isn't very far and has incredible views and rock scrambling.:love: Valley of Fire is a further drive but totally awe inspiring. So, yes there's lots of other stuff to see and do.

The trick for us was staying on MI time so we were up early(( :angry: a dirty word on Jamerz' vocabulary:grumble: )) enjoy the countryside ..do the siesta thing:yawn: , then enjoy the evening. Which is great for January vacation time....I can't address living there year round. But I'm pretty certain someone will chime in!
    Good luck to you!
    Ezzie
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    They have a lovely stud ranch going in just north of Vegas towards Pahrump, NV.

I'm sorry but she's such a mess...she totally cracks me up. According to the latest biography movie on her she's turned into a bird lady in Vegas, waiting for approval to open her ranch. She spends her days talking to her birds "because THEY understand her," and collecting rocks, "We have all these good rocks out here for me to decorate my ranch with!"
    fleish2.jpg2649670.jpg

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    They have a lovely stud ranch going in just north of Vegas towards Pahrump, NV.

fleish2.jpg

Yeesh...I hate that photo of Miss Fleiss..so weird looking...like I said the only factor that plays a role in this is the professional golf management bachelor's at UNLV...hubby wants a career in golf...anyone know anything about that program? They are offered at 17 other colleges/universities in the country...UNLV is the cheapest though...
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    I sent you a message!

I moved from IL to Vegas. I'm also a teacher, and my husband got his masters at UNLV!

I sent lots of info/personal opinions...