How did you become a runner?

Sounds silly right? You become a runner by running, duh..... but I'm serious, for those if you who were never runners, how did you do it?
My schedule is pretty hectic, work full time, two young kids, no gym available. But we do live in the country on a nice quiet road, perfect for an evening run. Problem is, even when I was in the BEST shape of my life (college athlete), I was NOT a runner!
So what are your tips? How did you start? And what shoes would you recommend for a out of shape fat girl with a old knee injury ????

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    I read this discussion.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

Then I tried to do mostly what it says. Definitely check out a good running store (Not Footlocker, Payless, Walmart) and have someone look at how you walk/run to help you with shoe selection. It's worth it. The shoes I had been wearing all summer were annoying my shins and I just replaced mine (with some helpful advice from a staff member at said store) and it fixed my issues instantly. That's probably the best tip I can give you.

Secondly, be patient and take things slowly.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    I downloaded the free app C25K and followed it. Then I went onto the follow up program C210K and now I am running 10 kilometers three times a week. I am 49 years old, female and used to be a smoker until a year and half ago. I was not able to run more than 100 meters without running out of breath. Last weekend I participated successfully in the Terry Fox Run here in Vancouver and I ran the 10k without a stop or problem. I have to admit...I am very proud of myself!
    Stef.
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Wanted to see if I could do it after losing my first 25'ish pounds. Turned out I could. What kept me going was constantly being able to do more than I ever thought possible. Running my first half marathon this saturday, shooting for 2 hours with no walking. Previous to this june I don't think I had ever run more than a couple hundred meters at a time, at least not without near cardiac arrest...

I also have 2 small kids and work full time. I run in the morning before work and typically get up around 5, run from 5:15 - 6:15'ish. On weekends one morning I get up at 5 and go for a 1.5-2 hour run.

My wife does not like it, but she appreciates it :P
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Personally I used the NHS Couch to 5K podcasts alongside Runkeeper to track my performance. After 12 weeks of that I was able to run for 30 minutes continuously, and then started working up my distance to half marathon now. I've been using training plans on Endomondo to do that training.

As far as shoes are concerned, they can depend very much on your gait, so it's worth spending some time getting that right. My own thought would be to wait until about 4 weeks into C25K before getting new ones, so that you can find your rhythm in the easy phase, but a decent shop will have a returns policy so you could take a punt now.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    I just started going, and kept going even though it hurt and wasn't that fun. Gradually it hurt a lot less and became fun. Now I run 10 - 30 miles a week, have done 6 or so half marathons, etc.

Finding some tricks to make yourself enjoy it really helps. For me, that was finding loops and trails that I really enjoy running on... nice paths, interesting scenery, easy to get to from my house. Also, I keep a stock of podcasts on my phone and those keep me entertained on longer runs.

Be sure that you don't start off too fast... take it nice and easy. They say it takes 3+ weeks for anything to become a habit, so don't give up. And don't be surprised if you're super sore after the first few times. That happens to me every time I stop running for a few months and get back into it. It'll get better.

PS - we're about the same age - feel free to friend me if you want :) Lauren
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Wanted to see if I could do it after losing my first 25'ish pounds. Turned out I could. What kept me going was constantly being able to do more than I ever thought possible. Running my first half marathon this saturday, shooting for 2 hours with no walking. Previous to this june I don't think I had ever run more than a couple hundred meters at a time, at least not without near cardiac arrest...

I also have 2 small kids and work full time. I run in the morning before work and typically get up around 5, run from 5:15 - 6:15'ish. On weekends one morning I get up at 5 and go for a 1.5-2 hour run.

My wife does not like it, but she appreciates it :P

Good luck on your half!!! I'm running one Sunday too :)
  • I downloaded the free app C25K and followed it. Then I went onto the follow up program C210K and now I am running 10 kilometers three times a week. I am 49 years old, female and used to be a smoker until a year and half ago. I was not able to run more than 100 meters without running out of breath. Last weekend I participated successfully in the Terry Fox Run here in Vancouver and I ran the 10k without a stop or problem. I have to admit...I am very proud of myself!
    Stef.

That's awesome, congrats on your progress!

I've also never been a runner, I had asthma as a kid and still struggle with it sometimes but it's getting easier now that I'm stronger and exercise regularly. I just started the C25K program last night, it was great. I was tempted to go ahead and run faster/longer but I held myself back because I know I have a hard time pacing myself. I'm planning to invest in some good running shoes after I lose more weight (I stay motivated by treating myself when I reach a short term goal). Does anyone have a preference on a brand of running shoe?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I started running because I started playing soccer again and was practically dying on the pitch.....

When I started running I could barely make it around the block, I grew up hating running for the sake of running (probably too many coaches using running as punishment....) but I was determined to improve my fitness.

I started by walking 9 minutes and the running (more like a slow shuffle) for 1 minute, then waking 8 running 2 etc etc until i could run 10 minutes continuously. Much to my surprise I began to enjoy it and eventually (Fall of 2009) entered my first 5K. Since then I've gone on to half-marathons and a handful of triathlons / duathlons.

Everyone adapts at different rates, take your time and focus on aerobic capacity first and foremost and stay injury free. Most running injuries come from trying to do too much, too soon too fast.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    After using the elliptical for about a year I decided it was time to try the treadmill. I started there and got my endurance up enough to run a couple miles. Once I started training for a sprint triathlon I took to running oustide and now it is my favorit thing to do. I was never a "runner" growing up although I play volleyball, basketball and softball...I just never enjoyed running. Now I try to do it several times a week.
    I also like biking and swimming and both have helped with my running endurance.
    Good luck to you future runner!!!
  • r_kraft
    r_kraft Posts: 27 Member
    Here are two books to look at too;

Marathoning for Mortals: A Regular Person's Guide to the Joy of Running or Walking a Half-Marathon or Marathon

Running for Mortals: A Commonsense Plan for Changing Your Life With Running

Also the C5K, 10k and 25K apps, or some of the running plans from Garmin or runkeeper are good places to start. Also DO find a locale running store, not one of the big chains, and get some advice from the staff. Most are very helpful to new runners. Start slow and build into it. Your Mind will be ready to do more than your body at times. Take time to listen to your body so you and tell when some hurts (sore or tired) and something is an injury. Sore and tired is not the same as injured.

I just added road cycling to go with my running and it has made a massive improvement.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    I started doing yoga, which helped with joint issues. At that point I wasn't concerned about weight, just moving without pain. Then I signed up for a 5k with my husband who was starting to get into running as a show of support.

As the weight came off running became a bit easier, but wasn't easy (I was probably still north of 200lbs.) That first 5k was over 40 minutes. Considering I would only train/workout at about a half hour at a time it wasn't that bad.

Somehow someone talked me into a 10 mile race the following year. I survived it and was at this point running regularly. Then came the half marathons, tough mudders, trail runs...

TL/DR; I kept at it until it became a habit.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Another vote for Couch to 5k. Lots of different apps out there including ones that has a zombie storyline. Get good fitted shoes as you less likely to injure yourself and go out and enjoy.
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Growing up I was an athelete, but never a runner. I could run and sprint a basketball court for an hour easy but tell me to run 2 miles and I'd die.

But after the sports stopped, the weight came on and I knew I needed to find an exercise that was efficient and effective. I started running by running as far as I could and then each day I would run just a little farther. It was never far in the beginning but overtime it came to be. Then later, I downloaded the C25K app and followed and completed it. I liked that method much more.

I then stopped running for years and just recently got back into it. I started C25K again but then just decided to do it on my own. I an currently trying to get up to 5 miles and then a 10K.

I run with my dogs, which makes it much more enjoyable for me. And I have discovered that running releases a lot of stress and had become my me time. I work a full time job, and have 2 step-kids half of the week. So I just work my runs around my schedule. Sometimes I only run 1 day a week on really busy days and others time its 3. But 1 run is better than none.

Finishing my first 5K was an amazing feeling. And signing up for runs is a great motivator also! I keep signing up for them now to make sure I don't slack off or stop my routine.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Why I started - I wanted to lose weight quickly in hopes of getting pregnant - it worked!
    I didn't run a lick after 6th grade when I passed out during gym class from running one lap around the track.

How I started - C25K and built up from there (current max distance 1/2 Marathon)

When I run - in the AM before work outdoors. DH stays home with our son and I run. I won't find time in the evening. On weekends I "sleep in" and start running around 6 or 7am (depending on the distance and events planned for that day)

My Gear - Shoes (from a legit running store), knuckle lights during the dark morning hours & a reflective vest, iPhone in my FlibBelt playing music and my RunKeeper App

Inspiration - Races! I sign up for them to keep focused and getting up in the morning. I'm running a 5K this weekend with my 7YO, a 5K next month with my 7YO and 19.3 (10K & 1/2 in January - Star Wars Rebel Challenge @ Disney).
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I started at 40. Heaviest I'd been in my life, exercise induced asthma, never was able to run, etc, etc.

I downloaded C25k on my phone and headed out. I've been a runner for nearly two years now, including finishing a half maration.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I do not know, really. I was 19 years or 20 years old and I realized I was a bit skinny. So, I started lifting weights. I had always been very active in sports as a youth, but I had fallen off for a few years.
    The lifting led to running.
    It was hard. I smoked. First, I went around my apartment building. I did that for about a week or more. Then I progressed to going around the building twice. Then it built upon itself naturally. I just wanted to go further when I could.
    Around the block. That lasted for a week or so.
    Down the road and back, maybe about a mile in distance. At that point, the progress started to come a bit faster.
    Soon, I was up to three miles.
    After a few months of that, I happened to move home to California. There is a hill there my brother used to run as a high school soccer player. I went up that hill, and up that hill again. In a bit, I was going up that hill, and up the next climb too.
    That was all about 30 years ago. I have never stopped.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I downloaded the free app C25K and followed it. Then I went onto the follow up program C210K and now I am running 10 kilometers three times a week. I am 49 years old, female and used to be a smoker until a year and half ago. I was not able to run more than 100 meters without running out of breath. Last weekend I participated successfully in the Terry Fox Run here in Vancouver and I ran the 10k without a stop or problem. I have to admit...I am very proud of myself!
    Stef.

That's awesome, congrats on your progress!

I've also never been a runner, I had asthma as a kid and still struggle with it sometimes but it's getting easier now that I'm stronger and exercise regularly. I just started the C25K program last night, it was great. I was tempted to go ahead and run faster/longer but I held myself back because I know I have a hard time pacing myself. I'm planning to invest in some good running shoes after I lose more weight (I stay motivated by treating myself when I reach a short term goal). Does anyone have a preference on a brand of running shoe?

Don't worry about what works for other people. Go to a running store and get professionally fitted.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    I played sports as a kid so that involved running. And then I had a very brief resurgence in college - then I didn't run again until I was 33. I went bathing suit shopping, caught sight of myself in a threeway mirror, put the bathing suits away and bought a pair of running shoes instead. And the next day I ran.

I never followed a program - I just ran for as long as I could, stopped, gasped for air, and then when I could breath again, I'd run some more. Eventually I didn't have to stop anymore.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    A little more each day. Even just a tiny amount. That is the trick and that is what makes running fun- challenging yourself to go a little bit further and succeeding is a wonderful feeling.

Figure out if you over or under pronate. I failed to do so and trained for a ran a half marathon with shoes that were awful for me. I crossed the finish line, looked down, and saw that I had bled through the entire front of my sneaker and couldn't even feel it! Now I don't so much as get a blister with my better shoes :)
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    ive heard great things about c25k, wish i had known about it when i started.
    I started by walking on a treadmill that i was going to sell because we didnt use it, figured i should test it before we sold it.... i liked it, worked up from walking to walking with jogging to jogging, to jogging with running etc. Took it out doors and just do it because i enjoy it now.
    I found a few groups of folks i enjoy running with and use them as motivators.
    I still enjoy alone runs at times too
    Make sure you have good shoes that are appropriate for you THIS IS HUGE!!!! and replace them regularly (equally important, for me its every 450-500 km)
    dont push it so hard that you hurt yourself but push yourself beyond your comfort zone
    most importantly HAVE FUN :)