Facial tattoos...

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    "He was getting pizza plummer we should have gotti g to play plummer crakea ice ya"

I have no idea what that even means :huh:

That's exactly what I said.
  • I say to each his/her own. I personally would never do it because my face is precious to me! LoL. It is my money maker. I would never get tattoos that cannot be covered for business purposes. I would love to have my forearms done but not until I get further along in my career. I can cover my forearms w/ a dress shirt... but I live in S. Fla! I know for a fact I would want to roll my sleeves up.
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    There are very few facial tattoos I find attractive, but I also don't automatically assume anyone with tattoos on any part of their body are "bad people" or "unemployable." Granted it must make finding work harder, but there's still work out there to be had.

I try not to judge, but I can't help judging early 20-something year old's in khaki shorts, loafers, button up shirts, and a cardigan or sweater tied around their neck. It just screams "I'm a spoiled pain in the *kitten* because my mommy and daddy are rich and I get whatever I want" to me.
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    This whole "can't get tattoos for career purposes" must be an American thing. I've never heard of anyone having this problem in Canada.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    blah.. blah.. blah... folks that spout "The way it should be..." obviously have NO idea the way IT IS... Everyone is Employable... NOT everyone is EMPLOYABLE for EVERY Job... The Reality is.. a face tattoo WILL Limit the types of professions that person is likely to hold... Take a sample of some 10 000 doctoral students and I would bet.. less than .001 % would have a facial tattoo...and less than 10% a tattoo of any kind... NOW sample 10k folks working in the "trades" and I would bet.. the number climbs significantly...

fact is... the way IT IS... as an employee you represent your employer... so beyond a face tattoo... the way you dress, act, think, speak, will ALSO limit your employability...
  • daximus281
    daximus281 Posts: 1 Member
    I noticed the attendant at the corner store seemed down so I inquired as to what was bothering him. He is probably about 25 or so and has tats all over him, including covering his neck. He said that he can't get going in any careers because no one wants to take on someone with all of the tattoos he has. He stated he was just a stupid kid when he got all the work done and now can't make enough money to get the extensive laser treatments it would require to get them removed. Sad stuff. As adults we must all realize the consequences of our actions and understand the real-world ramifications those actions may have on unexpected aspects of our lives, even if we don't agree with them. As parents, we need to teach our children, starting at a young age, to make good decisions based on all good and bad, present, and possible future consequences.
  • along the lines of tattoos, ive always said that people with ink on their hands are just on another level than i am in regards to how much they "care" what people think. to my own surprise, i have decided to get a decorative B on my left ring finger (wifes name is Beth). i haven't been wearing my ring, and i think a nice tattoo would be a nice substitute.
    My son has a few tatoos most are not visible and I accept them, wish he didn't have them but I am the mom I am entitled to want him unblemished. That said he now has a new tat on his left ring finger - his wife's name in a pretty script. I LOVE seeing that tatoo, he cannot wear his ring (he is an electrician) and I love this substitute - I was very quick to tell him. His declaration of love to this wonderful young lady means so much to her and to us.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    blah.. blah.. blah... folks that spout "The way it should be..." obviously have NO idea the way IT IS... Everyone is Employable... NOT everyone is EMPLOYABLE for EVERY Job... The Reality is.. a face tattoo WILL Limit the types of professions that person is likely to hold... Take a sample of some 10 000 doctoral students and I would bet.. less than .001 % would have a facial tattoo...and less than 10% a tattoo of any kind... NOW sample 10k folks working in the "trades" and I would bet.. the number climbs significantly...

fact is... the way IT IS... as an employee you represent your employer... so beyond a face tattoo... the way you dress, act, think, speak, will ALSO limit your employability...

Yep. You can do whatever you want, but you will be judged for it.

I personally don't care. But I'm not the one doing the hiring, so...

I used to work in a hospital and one of the nurses had both her arms completed covered in tattoos. She had to wear long sleeves every day at work, no matter how hot it was, and she never stopped complaining about it. Corporate policy.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    I think some facial tattoos can be cool when they have cultural significance. I do agree that it can and will limit your chances of getting a job, though.

I try not to judge people, but white socks and sandals is just not a good look lol.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    This whole "can't get tattoos for career purposes" must be an American thing. I've never heard of anyone having this problem in Canada.

Yea, only in America would a facial tattoo prevent you from working in certain jobs. The rest of the world, especially Canada, is so much more open minded, yada yada yada.

Go try to stay at a hotel or work out at a gym in Japan with a facial tattoo, let alone find a job. Try to get a job in banking in Toronto for that matter.
  • KrissyRawrz
    KrissyRawrz Posts: 342 Member
    I don't judge people with facial tattoos. I just wonder how they make a living . . .
    ^ this
  • dMonster01
    you probably own khakis don't you

problem?

e61dec9608ba8e817919a03507dcb7fa.jpg
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    I noticed the attendant at the corner store seemed down so I inquired as to what was bothering him. He is probably about 25 or so and has tats all over him, including covering his neck. He said that he can't get going in any careers because no one wants to take on someone with all of the tattoos he has. He stated he was just a stupid kid when he got all the work done and now can't make enough money to get the extensive laser treatments it would require to get them removed. Sad stuff. As adults we must all realize the consequences of our actions and understand the real-world ramifications those actions may have on unexpected aspects of our lives, even if we don't agree with them. As parents, we need to teach our children, starting at a young age, to make good decisions based on all good and bad, present, and possible future consequences.

^ This for the real world.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    I will instantly make assumptions about you if you have a neck and/or facial tattoo and I won't care if I am right or wrong. You don't want to know me and I don't want to know you.

You, face tattoo wearer, make bad decisions.

Edit: Unless you are Maori or something. I understand the cultural significance and understand you are NOT an attention *kitten*. Still, good luck at tbe board meeting.
  • dMonster01

Yea, only in America would a facial tattoo prevent you from working in certain jobs. The rest of the world, especially Canada, is so much more open minded, yada yada yada.

Go try to stay at a hotel or work out at a gym in Japan with a facial tattoo, let alone find a job. Try to get a job in banking in Toronto for that matter.

Especially Canada!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    you probably own khakis don't you

problem?

e61dec9608ba8e817919a03507dcb7fa.jpg

am i suppose to find him appealing?
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Facial tattoos basically make the statement, "I am unemployable."

Unless you want to be a tattoo artist, circus act, or athlete.

...add musician or rapper.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    I will instantly make assumptions about you if you have a neck and/or facial tattoo and I won't care if I am right or wrong. You don't want to know me and I don't want to know you.

You, face tattoo wearer, make bad decisions.

Edit: Unless you are Maori or something. I understand the cultural significance and understand you are NOT an attention *kitten*. Still, good luck at tbe board meeting.

i have a nice big neck tattoo

hi
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member

Japan is very conservative in some regards...then again this is the country that has giant school girl statues and sells used underwear in vending machines. So I wouldn't exactly use them as an example of a morally or ethically superior nation.

As far as it being an American thing...I wouldn't say it's purely American, I'd say it's a puritanical point of view. We're still fighting over whether people who love each other should be allowed to get married, regardless of their biological gender. This country is still extremely young and found by people who left their country (which has over 1000 years of history, compared to our 238) because they were religious extremists. Yeah, we're still working on that whole acceptance thing. I suspect it will take more time.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member

Japan is very conservative in some regards...then again this is the country that has giant school girl statues and sells used underwear in vending machines. So I wouldn't exactly use them as an example of a morally or ethically superior nation.

As far as it being an American thing...I wouldn't say it's purely American, I'd say it's a puritanical point of view. We're still fighting over whether people who love each other should be allowed to get married, regardless of their biological gender. This country is still extremely young and found by people who left their country (which has over 1000 years of history, compared to our 238) because they were religious extremists. Yeah, we're still working on that whole acceptance thing. I suspect it will take more time.

Not sure about how moral superiority or religious extremism enters into the job search equation. Probably best to leave your religion off your resume. Hope that helps. In any event, the Canadian professionals I've worked with are every bit as conservative (in dress and demeanor) as their American counterparts.

As for Japan being odd, you might want to turn on US cable or look at US Craigslist sometime.