My only problem is motivation.

I can eat well, I can exercise, I can lose weight, I can change my body. I can't stay motivated, I can't get into a routine, I can't seem to stay on track.

I need help, I want to get to my goals, I don't care how long it takes. I need ideas. I need help. I have the right mindset and I really want this.

Replies

• fabulousmomma
    fabulousmomma Posts: 172 Member
    Hi, well to me it seems like your well on your way! I think what you have to do is ask yourself, "What are the things that are making me go off track?
    Once you have those marked down, then I would suggest you try to change your routine to make whats most important your number one goal.
    Sorry this is just my suggestion. I struggle with keeping my focus on my weight loss too. But I feel so much better when I take care of myself! I have a little boy and a husband that keep me motivated! Whats your motivation? Once you know what that is, then keep your focus on that:)
    Jill
  • xtinalee17
    xtinalee17 Posts: 42 Member
    Hi! I felt the same way for a while and pushed through for a few weeks and now it seems routine. Honestly MFP has helped a lot so far and I have met some great people on here that keep me accountable and offer advice. Feel free to add me!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Mindset is the most importnat. You have to want it enough and be prepared to apply yourself. Focus. Ytu and spend a week thinging about why you are doing it, the benefits and what you are going to do. Think about where it goes wrong and why.

Perhaps some mfp friends, but really most of it is up to you. You need the discipline to push through and get the good habits.

PS your motivation is part of your mindset.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    If you think that you can't do those things, then you won't. You have to start KNOWING you can and you will... Even if you have to fake it some days or even weeks, just do it.

I wrote out my goals and they're very clear. Every meal I have or activity that I do gets me closer to my goals. Maybe setting several small goals would help you stay on track? Good luck!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    I can eat well, I can exercise, I can lose weight, I can change my body. I can't stay motivated, I can't get into a routine, I can't seem to stay on track.

I need help, I want to get to my goals, I don't care how long it takes. I need ideas. I need help. I have the right mindset and I really want this.
    I don't care how long it takes.

If that's true.... then don't try to make more than one change at a time. I'm guessing here that you decide that losing weight is all about making big changes. Several big changes. If you can't stick to a routine, maybe it's because you're trying to overhaul your routine, instead of just making subtle changes. That's what I suggest. Make subtle changes. Start logging, if you aren't... see where you are going off track, and try to get you calorie consumption under control. Get into a routine of logging, and eating at your calorie budget. Then, decide if you want to change up what you eat a bit, and then, add in some exercise.

I think a lot of failures occur because we think we have to go all-in. Try easing into it this time. See what happens.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    You have to make healthy habits...they don't just come overnight and if you're trying to do too much at one time, you're going to have issues...baby steps...you don't have to overhaul your life overnight.

Motivation is an ebb and flow kind of thing so if you're just relying on motivation, you're never going to get there...healthy habits have to be created...when you have healthy habits, motivation really isn't such an issue.

I'm rarely if ever motivated to do the dishes or clean the house or work in the yard or do laundry, etc...but these things need doing, so I do them. You have to stop thinking about healthful living and exercise and proper diet as these extra things you do and just start thinking of them as things you just do and are as much a part of your life as vacuuming the living room.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I have a similar problem. What helps me is being accountable. I told people I was going to go for a walk. Then I felt like I should go. I like the ticker. It doesn't show my weight, but that I have lost, I am just starting. They tell me it gets easier with time.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member

Actually, no you don't. The right mindset is "this is something I am going to do, come hell or high water." Not "I can do this, I really want to do this, but....."

You might want to read this...

http://actionfiguremini.tumblr.com/post/53432744622/lost-your-motivation-my-standard-answer
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    It really is ALL motivation .. My big thing is setting small goals and sticking to the promises I make to myself. How would we feel about a friend that always made us promises and then broke them. Yet we break promises to ourselves all the time. Then how do we feel about ourselves? At least that is how it was for me. When I realized that it is as important to keep my promises to myself as those I make to others it helped a great deal.

This book helped me .. Emotional Blackmail: When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation, and Guilt to Manipulate You Paperback – March 4, 1998
    by Susan Forward (Author), Donna Frazier (Author)
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Don't diet. Don't try to "lose weight". Change your behaviour so that you eat at a consistent deficit, using MFP, TDEE, whatever floats your boat.

Then there is no endurance to be had. Because there is no "goal". You simply eat how you eat, and that's what will shred the weight. Also, having read your profile, why not pick up exercise again? Best excuse to eat a lot.
  • Hi,

The biggest milestone we have to achieve is changing our minds. Motivation is the key fact, as you well said. The only advise I can give you is: Believe you can do it. Try to stop any bad thought that come to your mind.

What worked for me at the beginning is that I told my boyfriend and parents to tell me every time I was not accomplishing my goal. I put some pictures of the way I don't want to look in the fridge and the most important motivation for me is the results I'm having for being constant. It's not only a matter of losing weight, is all about changing unhealthy habits and start being more secure and confortable with our own body.

If you need to talk, I'll be more that happy to chat :). It is also helpful having someone who can give you some energy boost when you're feeling a little down.
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    You have gotten a lot of replies about motivation and you should listen to them all. That being said, let me give a little practical advice: I glanced at your diary and you haven't logged at all the last three days. I would start with just logging. See what you eat now and make small adjustments from there. No one can really give you much helpful advice if we don't know what you are doing now. I am 45 years old and am only now ready to really do this. Please don't wait as long as I did. Don't look back in 20 years and regret the wasted time.