So you think you know what you are doing? #1

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    You can pry my Diet Coke from my cold, dead, *refreshed* hands.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    I'm just going to leave this here...

54655256.jpg
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Because the Huffington Post is the place to get unbiased advice on nutrition.

:huh:

Here's a hint. The modern media captalizes on shock value. They find poorly done studies, generate headlines that incite an emotional reaction, and then generate speculation based on those poorly done studies. The reality is, journalists don't really know how to interpret studies, nor do they really care if they are interpretting them correctly.

This.

People see the word "toxin" and freak out. There's a reason it's used so heavily by the media and companies that want your money. It's a buzzword. Your kidneys have a job. Their job is to "get rid" of your "toxins." So I guess if you really wanted to "cleanse," you should research dialysis and donate your kidneys to someone who will actually use them.

Two brilliant posts. So of course I'll piggyback them.

Anyone's doctor ever told them they have too many toxins in their body? Anybody ever lose a loved one and the cause of death was an overabundance of toxins?

This is voodoo. Hokum. Nonsense masquerading as science.

It's essentially no different than saying a person suffers from an imbalance of bodily humours, and that went out with the ancient Greeks.

The toxins wrecketh my humours. Doth thou have a leech about thine person that thou might spare, mayhap, good Sir?
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    HuffPo/DR
  • I tend to not trust articles that have an exclamation point finishing every other sentence.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    I tend to not trust articles that have an exclamation point finishing every other sentence.

But the shouting is my favorite part of evidence-based facts!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    The diet soda issue is not new. In fact my husband drinks copious amounts every day and he is a physical mess. Looks like a 9 month pregnant man.

I have never had more than a sip of a diet soda. I cannot stand the taste of artificial sweetener. Real sugar or honey only, please, and those in moderation.

Somehow I managed to gain weight. Must be the EVIL FOOD INDUSTRY slipping it into my salad when I'm sleeping.
  • I tend to not trust articles that have an exclamation point finishing every other sentence.

But the shouting is my favorite part of evidence-based facts!

Loudest person wins the argument!! :laugh:
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    XYLITOL the ultimate sweetener

I use xylitol as it's part of my Lyme Protocol. In conjunction with raw honey & Lactoferrin the combination breaks down the biofilm colonies where Lyme spirochetes in various dormant phases hide until conditions return for them to reimerge starting the active Lyme phase again.

While we tap our own Birch trees, the following information is from the website where I can purchase product if needed.

Product Details
    The Ultimate Life The Ultimate Sweetener® Description
    100% Pure Birch Sugar
    No Sugar Highs
    No Sugar Lows
    Natural Granular
    Vegan
    - WHAT -
    You're holding the ultimate sugar substitute available anywhere ay any price. Period. GUARANTEED. Also known as Xylitol (the original, imported from Europe), this is a by-product of the furniture industry in Finland, thus no trees were cut down for it.

- WHY -
    Even though it is a carbohydrate and it tastes, looks & works Exactly as white sugar, The Ultimate Sweetener is metabolized so slowly, it prevents sugar "highs" & "lows" experienced by people who have hypoglycemia, chronic fatigue syndrome, candida (yeast infection), ADDS, & even diabetes. This is because it does Not affect insulin levels At All.

- FYI -
    White and brown sugar are often produced using slaughterhouse animal Bone Ash! Only beet, raw & turbinado sugars do not involve this hideous process, however, they still cause sugar highs & lows, which are best avoided for optimum health.

QUICK TAKE

Gluten-Free
    100% Natural Birch Sugar
    Looks & Tastes Like Sugar
    1 to 1 Ratio with Sugar
    1/2 The Calories of Sugar
    No Sugar Highs or Lows
    Metabolizes Slowly
    Safe For Diabetics
    Safe For Hypoglycemics
    Safe For Candida
    Dissolves Quickly
    Perfect For Baking
    Does NOT Promote Cavities
    No Aftertaste
    From Europe - Not China
    Indefinite Shelf-Life
    Vegan & Kosher

Peace.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member

I use xylitol as it's part of my Lyme Protocol. In conjunction with raw honey & Lactoferrin the combination breaks down the biofilm colonies where Lyme spirochetes in various dormant phases hide until conditions return for them to reimerge starting the active Lyme phase again.

While we tap our own Birch trees, the following information is from the website where I can purchase product if needed.

Product Details
    100% Pure Birch Sugar
    No Sugar Highs
    No Sugar Lows
    Natural Granular
    Vegan
    - WHAT -
    You're holding the ultimate sugar substitute available anywhere ay any price. Period. GUARANTEED. Also known as Xylitol (the original, imported from Europe), this is a by-product of the furniture industry in Finland, thus no trees were cut down for it.

- WHY -
    Even though it is a carbohydrate and it tastes, looks & works Exactly as white sugar, The Ultimate Sweetener is metabolized so slowly, it prevents sugar "highs" & "lows" experienced by people who have hypoglycemia, chronic fatigue syndrome, candida (yeast infection), ADDS, & even diabetes. This is because it does Not affect insulin levels At All.

- FYI -
    White and brown sugar are often produced using slaughterhouse animal Bone Ash! Only beet, raw & turbinado sugars do not involve this hideous process, however, they still cause sugar highs & lows, which are best avoided for optimum health.

QUICK TAKE

Gluten-Free
    100% Natural Birch Sugar
    1 to 1 Ratio with Sugar
    No Sugar Highs or Lows
    Metabolizes Slowly
    Safe For Diabetics
    Safe For Hypoglycemics
    Safe For Candida
    Dissolves Quickly
    Perfect For Baking
    No Aftertaste
    From Europe - Not China
    Indefinite Shelf-Life
    Vegan & Kosher

Peace.

Where's the part that promotes husband bashing on a public forum?

Velma.gif
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    I'm just going to leave this here...

54655256.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member

Product Details
    100% Pure Birch Sugar
    No Sugar Highs
    No Sugar Lows
    Natural Granular
    Vegan
    - WHAT -

- WHY -

- FYI -

QUICK TAKE

Gluten-Free
    100% Natural Birch Sugar
    1 to 1 Ratio with Sugar
    No Sugar Highs or Lows
    Metabolizes Slowly
    Safe For Diabetics
    Safe For Hypoglycemics
    Safe For Candida
    Dissolves Quickly
    Perfect For Baking
    No Aftertaste
    From Europe - Not China
    Indefinite Shelf-Life
    Vegan & Kosher

Peace.

Has terrible disease. Changes diet to improve symptoms. Decides that all non-diseased individuals should implement similar diet changes.

Makes total sense.

tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Lyme Protocol lol.

Just gonna drop this here.

http://scienceblogs.com/denialism/2008/05/20/fake-diseases-part-deuxchronic/

You know. Science.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    - FYI -

why is using animal bone ash a hideous process?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    ETA: I'm not pro artificial sweeteners, I hate their taste of sadness and socks.

LOL this is the truest thing I've ever read on this forum. ^^^

Personally I have read a lot of scientific articles on artificial sweeteners. Several studies (you can look them up on Google scholar) do indicate there is a link between weight gain and drinking diet soda. Other studies say it has little impact. I'd encourage you to look them up and see all the data for yourself in the actual words of scientists. Usually articles in newspapers or online news sites do a poor job of capturing the real results.

For me personally I crave food after drinking diet soda or eating things with artificial sweeteners. I do have hypoglycemia so I may be more sensitive to it than other people. I have lost weight drinking tons of diet mountain dew but I was also constantly hungry.
    I think for some people its an issue (like me) and other people aren't bothered by it.

Those studies suggest a corrolation between diet soda and weight gain.

But

Corrolation =/= causation.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Lyme Protocol lol.

Just gonna drop this here.

http://scienceblogs.com/denialism/2008/05/20/fake-diseases-part-deuxchronic/

You know. Science.

:noway:
  • I've lost Over 50 lbs and I'm Still NOT on a diet !
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Try reading some actual peer reviewed study to get a broader understanding on the actual science and not relying on the Huffington Post for credible information and a doctor that is out to sell books and diet supplements for a living. Best of Luck

z205099164.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    That article is awful.

I gained weight without drinking soda or eating low fat - the two principle things mentioned in that article. It simply was too much (mostly homemade, in my case) food, too little moving.

Blaming it on others is an easy excuse.

BTW, the MGEN study that he cites on the French cohort is interesting research - it is unfortunate that the author chose the WRONG conclusions to highlight.

ttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/diet-soda-health_b_2698494.html

read it.

notice that the 95% confidence intervals show either no increased risk to 2x risk on SSB, etc. And the reported study model was only partially corrected for obesity - model 3 in their report would be more interesting but less sensational.

also, given that fruit juice drinking (with significant sugar levels) actually showed a reduction in risk suggests that these are markers for overall diet choice NOT the actual sugar levels...

furthermore, look at the n data - not to nit pick but... - it's a reported cohort of 66000 but they excluded so many people that their actual cohort of people drinking >603 mL per week is ....34? 34!! What is that? And their table for risk halves the risk from weight gain alone?

In other words - lose the weight, it's more important than soda. A reasonable consumption of artificially sweetened soda (weight corrected model from their data) has a risk profile of 0.77 to 2.01 in 95% confidence interval. In other words, nopenopenope.

.... we could go on. Read the research, not the fluff.

ETA: I'm not pro artificial sweeteners, I hate their taste of sadness and socks. But I hate bad use of research more.

giphy.gif
This discussion has been closed.