You're experience with one of the 'Greats' of your MA

Alehmer
Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
I am overjoyed that this weekend I get to attend an hours-long Brazilian Jiu Jitsu workshop this Saturday at my home gym, taught by world-champion Pablo Popovitch.

Pablo_vs_Xande.jpg

Dude is an absolute beast, and I am looking forward to getting tapped over and over again, probably while he's checking his emails and having casual conversation at the same time.

So, thought it woudl be fun to hear about your encounter with one of the 'greats' in your Martial Art.

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    This past winter I got to attend a full day striking seminar with Greg Jackson and Firas Zahabi, GSP's strategy coach (considered by many to be the best in the UFC) and head trainer, respectively. It was great to get to work with them; they taught some modified techniques they like to use and came and worked with each pair of students individually until we had them down.

I Also have attended 2 workshops with Myles Jury and learned some of his signature combos. I can't wait to use them in the ring.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    In the 70's my Sensei was Master Fusei Kise, but I had to test for all belts in front of Grandmaster Hohan Soken.

Google them.
  • Alehmer
    Did either of you get the chance to spar with them? I've had a couple people I've worked with who, the second I am wrapped up with them I just instantly feel out of control. Have a Judo sensei who as soon as we were moving I felt like I had just downed a few tequila shots because however I moved I didn't end up where I intended and felt completely unsteady.

OK, after looking up Hohan Soken it's clear he would have been too old, but was there anything special about the encounter?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Did either of you get the chance to spar with them? I've had a couple people I've worked with who, the second I am wrapped up with them I just instantly feel out of control. Have a Judo sensei who as soon as we were moving I felt like I had just downed a few tequila shots because however I moved I didn't end up where I intended and felt completely unsteady.

OK, after looking up Hohan Soken it's clear he would have been too old, but was there anything special about the encounter?

At the time, I believe Hohan Soken was the oldest living Grandmaster in the world. I was, at the time, one of three Americans studying Shorin-Ryu in Okinawa at the location I was at. We actually had a hands-on teacher, but Master Kisei was the official Master. When we were ready to test, we had to go to another school and test in front of the Grandmaster. One of the other Americans' name was Clay (last Name--I never knew his first name) but he was the cousin of Muhammad Ali. He was many years ahead of me. The other American was Billy. My best friend and a fellow Marine.

I only studied there for 18 months, but at a very accelerated rate. 6 days a week. 3 hours a day. It was pretty brutal. I looked for other Shorin Ryu schools in the US, later, but back then, there were not a lot of Martial Arts Schools. I tried many other disciplines, before I met Grandmaster Moon Kyu Im and studied uder him until 1987. I started my own school and taught until the early 90's. I still practice and have a dojo in my home. I'll be 60 in July. Making plans to train my youngest daughter this summer.
  • patsully98
    patsully98 Posts: 40 Member
    Alehmer, what is Pablo going to be covering? Hope you get to roll with him! Let us know how the seminar is.

I used to train with a guy named Dillon Danis. I met him when he was a 17-year-old purple belt, and let me tell you, there are few things better for keeping a grown man's ego in check than catching a beating from someone who still goest to homeroom lol. He's a brown belt now and just won Pan Ams. If you haven't heard of him, wait a year or two; you will.
  • Alehmer
    I don't know specifically know what Pablo is going to be covering, outside of "General BJJ Awesomeness". I'm sure whatever it is will blow my mind. My instructor is one of his long-time students and got his brown belt under Pablo. He seems to be able to put me in incredibly tight chokes from absolutely anywhere, but I don't know if that's a Pablo thing or just his thing.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    I trained once with James Williams Sensei, System of Strategy and Nami Ryu Aiki Heiho (Changed the name of the art, but trained Yanagi ryu of the Yoshida han under Don Angier Sensei). He is extremely strong, fluid, skilled and knowledgeable. It was an absolute pleasure to train with him and I wish he would come into town more often.

I also have trained a few times with Renshi Fred Neumann, 6th degree BB in RyuKyu Kempo. Another awesome art. I wish he came into town more often as well.

Never sparred with either of them. But at the last seminar I attended with Renshi Neumann, he was telling me about the difference between a regular punch and how they do it in RyuKyu. So he nailed me pretty good in the stomach, hurt for DAYS lol. We also practiced nerve strikes KOs to the neck at another seminar. I went home afterward and had the worst migraine ever. It totally incapacitated me. I got really sick too. Lasted for 4 hours. And we weren't even hitting that hard.
  • Alehmer
    Had my seminar with Pablo, unfortunately he was sick and unable to roll. Still put us through some great drills and instruction, including a choke I thought I would never in my life be able to pull off. As I kind of expected, it was the little things that really separated him, the accumulation of details that set him apart. Great stuff. Sure wish the picture was in focus though...

1000662_698923926816854_5397862544037532675_n.jpg
  • Alanhalil
    Alanhalil Posts: 62 Member
    Sounds like a great day.

When I trained in Wing Tsun I attended a few seminars to see GM Keith R. Kernspecht. He is pretty old now but damn his technique and reaction speed were ridiculous.
  • Mauthos
    Mauthos Posts: 128 Member
    I have been fortunate to have trained with GM Fred Adams (Great British Hapkido Founder) which was a humbling experience, especially when a 67 year old man (at the time I met him) put me, a 21 year old, on my *kitten* with ease without even breaking his instruction to the rest of the class. That was 15 years ago and even 2 years ago, I feel the man could have dropped me with ease.

I have also had the honour to attend a weekend seminar held by Bill 'Superfoot' Wallace which was just an awesome experience and I have met Larry Tatum once and will hopefully meet him again this year in Ireland. Plus in my mind, GM Paddy Kennedy, AGM John Birch and my instructor Andy Fitzgerald are 3 of the most impressive Kenpo men I have had the luck to train with.
  • j75j75
    I would love to train with Mr. Wallace!! Must have been a great experience.
    I have been fortunate to have trained with GM Fred Adams (Great British Hapkido Founder) which was a humbling experience, especially when a 67 year old man (at the time I met him) put me, a 21 year old, on my *kitten* with ease without even breaking his instruction to the rest of the class. That was 15 years ago and even 2 years ago, I feel the man could have dropped me with ease.

I have also had the honour to attend a weekend seminar held by Bill 'Superfoot' Wallace which was just an awesome experience and I have met Larry Tatum once and will hopefully meet him again this year in Ireland. Plus in my mind, GM Paddy Kennedy, AGM John Birch and my instructor Andy Fitzgerald are 3 of the most impressive Kenpo men I have had the luck to train with.
  • Mauthos
    Mauthos Posts: 128 Member
    I would love to train with Mr. Wallace!! Must have been a great experience.

Really was, he was patient, took time in explaining everything, ensured he got around to spending some one on one time with pretty much everyone there and really quite funny. Would definitely recommend attending a seminar held by him if anyone ever gets the chance.
  • ariesflame
    ariesflame Posts: 82 Member
    My kendo sensei is one of the highest ranking in the states he used to travel to do seminars too, but I don't think his name/ rank/prestige has anything to do with what makes him a "great" to me..
    He was 80 when I walked into the dojo, and he still put on him armor everyday to keiko with us. You could be fit and really good, but you could still never touch him. You would get so frustrated trying the most basic strike on him again and again, just to get more frustrated as you could hear him kind of chuckle on your follow through.
    He suffered a stroke a few years ago, and even though he is restricted in his mobility he still picked up a shinai and gripped and swung if he could.

I'll never forget the first day he told me to put on armor... and the chuckle he gave when he punk'ed me.
  • j75j75
    I am attending a weekend seminar with Grand Master Leo Gaje of Pekiti Tirsia Kali next month. So excited!! Anyone who is in the San Jose, CA area and is interested please let me know.