October Running Challenge

Hi everyone. This is a continuation from the September Running Challenge.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1417632-september-running-challenge

Anyone can join in. New & Old. Here the details from last month that applies here again.

Anybody want to join me for a running challenge? Set a goal here and mark it every day here. You can post your progress by creating a ticker at http://www.tickerfactory.com (If creating ones seems difficult, then don't let that stop you. Just type in your daily miles here.)

You can run, walk, or do treadmill. Just be consistent. I am setting a goal for 200 miles. Don't let that worry you. Some can do 25, 50; whatever you like. We can help motivate each other. What do you say? if you are new to running, set a low goal.

You can set your goal now but wait until Wednesday October 1, 2014 to log your runs.

Info on tickers since I know there will be questions. Sign up for an account http://www.tickerfactory.com and create your ticker.
Then you need to update it after you do a run and post it here. Here is what you will need to do.

After setting up your ticker, you will need to make note of the weblink they give you so you can return. An example would be:

http://www.tickerfactory.com/exercise/w6K1EiX/ <<<< the last part will be a part of the image link (explained below) that will be supplied to you after you initially create your link.

When you return to TickerFactory with the weblink, go to your settings page. Make sure you type your pin in that you set when you created your ticker account.
Then where it says "Your current cumlative value, there is an add button. Just add what you just did and the cumlative value automatically changes. Then hit next.

Now after you added your new miles (or km's) to your ticker you need to post it here.

After you hit next, it will give you a bunch of codes suggesting on how to display your ticker.
Use the one at the bottom where it says Direct Image URL:

It will look something like:
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png

To display that correctly in your post, make sure you place the img tags around that link. So it will look, (removing the spaces in the img tags):

[ img ] http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png [ /img ]

^^^^^^^ Don't forget to remove the spaces between the brackets. ^^^^^^^^^^

So it will look like this after you post:

exercise.png

Some key things to pay attention to when posting your ticker.

1: Use the link that ends in .png
2. Remember the [ img] and [ /img] tags go in between the link
3. remove the spaces in the img tags before posting
4. YES, there is a / in the second /img tag

Also, don't forget to join our group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21182-monthly-running-challange

There you find lots of good info, and it's a place where everyone can talk to each other for further motivation. It's also a place to find help when there is a problem with this thread.

Good luck! And happy running (or walking or treadmilling, ect). If you have any trouble or have questions, please feel free to PM me.

Stan

Replies

• ameliad87
    ameliad87 Posts: 66 Member
    I've been slowly adding 5 miles each month for the past 3 months...but I started a training plan to do a 10K on Thanksgiving. And the plan has me doing 70 miles this month. So 70 miles it is!!!

I'll set up the ticker once I start logging my miles for October.
  • jaxtheassassin
    jaxtheassassin Posts: 31 Member
    Definitely interested. I Have had a great deal of trouble with my knee lately, so I'll start low. 31 in 31 days.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    I'll bump up 5 this month and go for 70 miles. Thanks!
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Ill shoot for 135 miles in October. Thank you! :drinker:
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    I think I will scale back to 185....
  • akaiookami
    akaiookami Posts: 43 Member
    I need to scale back from last month as well- I have an IT Band that is out to murder me. O.o

I'm in for 45 miles in October!
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Looks like I'm not alone in scaling back for October.
    This is the time of year that my friends start working out indoors, so I'm on my own for 180miles.
    Wish me luck!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    This is the time of year that my friends start working out indoors, so I'm on my own for 180miles.
    Wish me luck!
    I'm going to make sure you don't hibernate this winter.... we are going to do a "Sub-Freezing/No Treadmill" Challenge this winter...
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    I'm going to make sure you don't hibernate this winter.... we are going to do a "Sub-Freezing/No Treadmill" Challenge this winter...
    Sounds brutal - I'm in!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Wish me luck!

Awesome. Get Carson in on this. :-)
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    I'm in - I'm going for 40 miles - running my first half in the middle of the month, so not sure how quickly I will recover after that...
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I'm new to running/jogging. I'd like to complete 50 miles by Halloween.
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    I'm bumping it up to 30 this month.
  • EMergise
    EMergise Posts: 36 Member
    I'm new to the running challenges but I'm going to give it a go this month!! I managed 25 miles this month with no real effort so reckon I can do more than that!

Going to go for 45 miles!
  • KnickersInATwist
    KnickersInATwist Posts: 237 Member
    Made my target of 80 this month, new challenge is 90 miles for October! Bring it! :)

exercise.png
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    In for 440km (273.40 miles).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    100 miles seems to have been a good goal -- I have 2.5 miles to go and will run them tonight or tomorrow morning. I got a late start and have a half marathon in early November, so will kick it up to 120.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    When i worked out my training plan months ago, I left off October because i needed to see if the red sox would make it to the playoffs. Baseball season is over, so i can run on the days I want without considering the redsox. Anyway, I've got a half marathon taper and a full marathon taper this month, so my newly created plan is just 150 miles for October.
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    I'm in!!
    I will miss my goal for September by 6km :( (will run tonight but am at the back end of a nasty headcold so don't think I could push myself to do 12.5km!!)

I have the same goal for October (100km).....school holidays might interfere a bit but I plan on pushing my runs out a little bit each week until I'm running 10km!!

exercise.png
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Going for 100 miles this month!! I have a half marathon on the 25th and I'm hoping to break 2:00 hours!

exercise.png