Do you know someone who fell for a Nigerian scam?

wheird
wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
I need to hear these stories.

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Please to send me $250to cover expenses of wiring.
  • Denisebar
    Denisebar Posts: 36 Member
    I cant imagine anyone actually falling for the type I get almost daily in email form.They usually open with "hello dear" ????
  • BethClicks
    BethClicks Posts: 61 Member
    I'll send you a check for 50, you keep 25 and send me the rest back :) <---- that one gets people around here!
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Wait. Wait... It's a SCAM??? I'm not actually going to get that $785,000.....??? Nothing good ever happens to me. :sad:
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    This reminds me of the Facejacker episode. If you havent seen this, WATCH IT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXzUde5DMUo
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Yup. I have two stories!

A lady I used to work with met someone on Match or Eharmony and he was ALL she talked about. She even carted his picture everywhere showing it to anyone that would look. He lived in Malta and started needing money for things. Oh, and he proposed! She was going to fly him here, sight unseen, marry him, and move him in with her and her two kids. He kept asking for more and more money and finally after 35 people told her she was being taken for a ride, she cut off contact. I think she was out about 3 grand.

Second story was my ex's friend, who (same thing) met a "girl" online somehow, fell in love almost immediately, and her story was that she flew to Africa for her mother's funeral and was stuck there. She needed money to get home. She really did a number on this guy. Promised to marry him when she got to the States, swore her undying love to him, and since he struck out repeatedly with real live women, he fell for it. Long story short, he gave her every cent he had. Emptied his bank account, 401(k), cash advances on his CC, but once my ex and his other friends found out, it was way too late. He is pretty much destitute at 35.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    My dad almost fell for one... I was 17 at the time and he brought me a print out of the email saying he'd won some sort of lottery. He got soooo pissed at me for telling him that it was a scam. Finally, I told him, "whatever, just promise to research it before you send any money." A few days later, he sheepishly apologized for yelling at me about it because I was right.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Not exactly.

However, my best friend's sister has a massage client from Nigeria. Supposedly he's very wealthy. She also works as a bartender, as does my BFF.

So the sister's car was acting up pretty badly a few months ago right before she was going on a long road trip and she and my BFF were out having drinks with this Nigerian guy and his friend and she was talking about her car and they actually bought her a new car. And apparently they have been trying to talk my friends into going to Nigeria to "bartend and do massage therapy."

And they actually believe these men are just nice guys trying to do nice things because they like my friend and her sister.

SMH

My BFF has a near-genius IQ, too.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    I would like to hear this as well.
    Sadly it is probably the older generation that doesn't understand as well.
    fool-gif.gif
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Thankfully no.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

My grandmother passed away last year, two months before her 98th birthday. I remember when these scams were starting she must have been in her 80s and she was talking one day about how stupid people had to be to fall for them. My gram was no dummy. :-)
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Yes. Yes I do.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member

My grandmother passed away last year, two months before her 98th birthday. I remember when these scams were starting she must have been in her 80s and she was talking one day about how stupid people had to be to fall for them. My gram was no dummy. :-)

Good for her....people can be just horrible at times.
  • Aero1dynamic
    Aero1dynamic Posts: 702 Member
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcbax6762qc9eg4-J-su3MMamjwNSqovEOg1uKj1gB79XchfCY
  • WHAT??

It's a scam?

I guess that I should cancel my plane ticket then.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    my brother in law fell for a roommate/rental scam.

he was looking for a roommate, and got a response. if memory serves me, the guy sent him a check for 4k to cover the deposit and the first couple months or something. i think he deposited it and then wrote a check to the landlord or something...i dont recall exactly. he wound up losing the whole 4k and didnt have a roommate. if the scammer got money out of it, i dont know how.
    my BiL was bad with money anyway. he was in the midst of bankruptcy when this all happened.

i actually got quite deep into scam-baiting several years ago. it was a lot of fun, but simply took up WAY too much of my time. i had a phone number set up, multiple emails, characters....good times. my mother didnt understand and thought i was being mean to people. that always baffled me. would she still so if grandma fell victim?
    there were some real artists in the scam-baiting community i was part of. they got these scammers to travel, send them things, make stuff...it was actually fantastic to watch.
    all i ever got was voicemails, pictures, and scans of IDs and documents and whatnot. i figured as long as they were spending time on me, and wasting their internet cafe money and precious cell minutes on trying to scam me, i was saving someone who could possibly be had the aggravation. at least thats how i justified it.

eta: i think i still have my trophies around somewhere. i gotta look for em. lol. i used to tell them that i transferred the money and they'd always want to see a western union receipt. i would send them a HUGE jpg where the top portion was the WU header, and then it would be all corrupt where the information should be. my understanding was that the bigger the file, the longer the download time in the internet cafe, the more money they had to spend. they didnt think it was as funny as i did though. heheeeeeeeee
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Sounds like you're starting your own. :P
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    michael-scott.jpg

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help!