craziest thing you have witness your neighbor do?

Replies

• Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    I guess I am the crazy neighbor. I've vacuumed the lawn with a shop vac after a water balloon fight. The bits weren't biodegradable, I didn't want kids or animals choking on them.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    We have TWO crazy neighbors...and yes, we frequently have talks about buying a shack in the woods to get away from everyone.

The one guy, we'll call Mr. R. After we moved in, we had the cable installed and he came over to yell at the installers that they were breaking the law due to Aerial Trespassing (lol wut?!) because the line crossed his property and connected to the pole on his yard. Just about every thing Hubs does, he'll come over and tell him it's wrong and illegal. Moving the mailbox, building new steps, building a shed? All illegal. Mind you, Hubs checked with the city before doing any of that so we knew it wasn't. And of course Mr. R can do whatever he wants...EVERY winter my husband has to remind him not to direct his snowblower chute at our house or he might break our windows and/or damage our siding.

The newest thing was his obsession with our fence. Hubs caught Mr. R's son tresspassing on our property so he wrote on the fence (our fence on our property but on the side facing their yard) "Take Note, Keep Out". In return, we received a letter from Mr. R's attorney saying this was in violation of the spite fence ordinance and we had to either paint over it or remove the fence. We didn't know at the time that you can pay a lawyer a fee to write a letter for you so we took it seriously and painted the fence. Wish we hadn't in retrospect but Hubs followed up with tasteful No Tresspasing signs and we haven't heard anything else about it.

However, Hubs recently caught Mr. R trying to destroy another neighbors fence (Mr R noticed him watching and stopped). There's no one currently occupying the property but Hubs knows the owner/property manager so he let him know. I told him he should've called the cops... And again, if someone was doing that to his property, he'd be raging like a lunatic. I don't understand people like that...smh

Won't get into the other neighbor - I'll be typing for hours! :)
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    I have this crazy neighbor that never uses her back yard...anyway one day I was walking by the window and thought her house was on fire! Upon further investigation I discovered that she was indeed BBQing inside!!! lol
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    And then there was the banshee across the street. It was bad enough listening to her scream at her son for hours, but when she was screaming about wanting to hit him in the face and make his mouth bleed...it was too much. Heartbreaking really. If she's screaming about that I can't imagine what she did in private.

Most of these posts are hysterical, but this one just pissed me off.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    I had this neighbor who didn't even know me, back when my husband was out to sea in the Navy, gave me a ride from Delaware to the Naval base in Philly, over an hour away. Another neighbor who knew I needed a ride but didn't have a car introduced us. The Navy wouldn't let him on the base when we got there, so I had to walk with my baby in a stroller all the way across the base to my meeting, which was to arrange my move back to Wisconsin (my husband was getting discharged soon), then walk all the way back. This took me most of the day, walking, meeting and walking back. When I got back, the guy, who I had just met that morning, was still waiting for me. I was really surprised that he was still there after the whole day although I had no idea how I would have gotten back to Delaware (I had no driver's license at the time, was 18, 5 months pregnant and had a 7 month-old baby with me). He said he would never leave a young girl alone in Philly without a ride home. He took us home. I never learned anything more than his first name and didn't have any way tor repay him for his gas or time or thank him, other than to just say thank you to him.

Wasn't that crazy of him to do?
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Almost every weekend, we used to see a tow truck bring our neighbor & car home (about 3:00 a.m.). The next morning, she'd get up, jump in her car and away she'd go. I think she had a little alcohol problem. But at least she was safe about it!

Were you my neighbor? I totally used to do that when I was in my 20's. I had a friend who was an on-call tow truck driver, so I would regularly have him flatbed my car home after a night of drinking. Easier than trying to find a ride to go pick up your car the next morning!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    When I lived in Texas my neighbor behind me would go out every morning buck nude and tie his two dogs out before he went to work. This task took 5 to 7 minutes, and we had a chain link between our yards. I got used to it, the first wave we exchanged while he was dangling was awkward but it got easier.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    I had this neighbor who didn't even know me, back when my husband was out to sea in the Navy, gave me a ride from Delaware to the Naval base in Philly, over an hour away. Another neighbor who knew I needed a ride but didn't have a car introduced us. The Navy wouldn't let him on the base when we got there, so I had to walk with my baby in a stroller all the way across the base to my meeting, which was to arrange my move back to Wisconsin (my husband was getting discharged soon), then walk all the way back. This took me most of the day, walking, meeting and walking back. When I got back, the guy, who I had just met that morning, was still waiting for me. I was really surprised that he was still there after the whole day although I had no idea how I would have gotten back to Delaware (I had no driver's license at the time, was 18, 5 months pregnant and had a 7 month-old baby with me). He said he would never leave a young girl alone in Philly without a ride home. He took us home. I never learned anything more than his first name and didn't have any way tor repay him for his gas or time or thank him, other than to just say thank you to him.

Wasn't that crazy of him to do?

Nah. Rare but not crazy. I wouldn't have left you either, I'm a mom so if kids are involved it's different.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    I had one neighbor try to rob a second neighbor. I intervened and broke the first neighbor's arm.
  • strong_er
    strong_er Posts: 109 Member
    Neighbor 1 "watering" their trees with a hose; directly into neighbor 2's open convertible.

Another time neighbor 1 put nails/tacks all around the other neighbor 2's car. They really didn't appreciate people parking in front of their house...
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Oh..and not a neighbor... But while eating at a Wendys one day..watched as a woman at the gas station next door washed her whole car with the window squeegie they keep by the pumps. I just sat there eating and watching her in amazement lol

OMG my husband's exact text to me this morning: "I must be a f...ing hillbilly. I just washed my whole car with the windshield cleaner wand at a gas station. I feel like Tommy Boy. "Went a little heavy on the pinetree perfume there, kid?""

LMFAO!! Does your husband have a sister in South Florida by any chance, she may have been who I saw that day ;) hehehehe!

For full disclosure though, when I was 20, I was at my friends house when it started raining...I was like, quick! gimme a sponge and your dish soap! And she joined me in helping me wash my car while it was raining. I was super broke, and paid for water so I hadnt washed my car in forever...it seemed as logical as it gets.

When we were done, her super cute next door neighbor came out, introduced himself , said him and his friends were watching us and wanted to invite us over for a beer. She ended up dating one of his friends even. Ah to be young again!!!

That is awesome :laugh:
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    I have witnessed my old next-door neighbors having a lot of arguments -- both with each other and other neighbors -- some of which the cops showed up for. One time the middle daughter was yelling at the dad to "keep popping pills".

These neighbors also have an above-ground pool that many of the neighborhood kids frequent unsupervised. One little girl showed up in a bathng suit top and underwear :-/
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Came home one day to find her vacuuming her grass. Guess she is a neat freak, they often wash their driveway and sidewalk as well as the road in front of their house.

Sounds like you lived next door to my mother!

I have one elderly neighbor that drives his tractor in a Speedo while mowing his pastures. You cannot un-see that sort of thing.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    I guess I am the crazy neighbor. I've vacuumed the lawn with a shop vac after a water balloon fight. The bits weren't biodegradable, I didn't want kids or animals choking on them.
    [/quote

That makes sense! I told the kids that if they wanted to do the water balloons they had to hand pick up every single piece, and they did.]
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    I am the crazy neighbor who occasionally does yoga in my backyard (fully clothed). my apartment is literally too small to do it inside and idngaf what it looks like to you. :smokin:
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    And then there was the banshee across the street. It was bad enough listening to her scream at her son for hours, but when she was screaming about wanting to hit him in the face and make his mouth bleed...it was too much. Heartbreaking really. If she's screaming about that I can't imagine what she did in private.

I sure hope someone called Child Protective Services on her!

Yes.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    The next road over is an older woman that just retired last year. She has decided her new job is to be the caretaker of all the wild cats in our neighborhood..... She has created a cooler city for the cats in her front yard (have ya ever heard of taking the styrafoam coolers, turn them upside down, cut a door out, and then you have an instant cat/small dog house)..... If it was 1 or 2 during the winter it may not seem so strange.... but we are talking year round cooler city! Rows and rows!
  • Autk79
    Autk79 Posts: 283 Member
    Well I hope my neighbors aren't on here lol

To one side I have a wife and ex husband that live together and her boyfriend, this is going on 7 years Ive lived there. The ex still calls his ex wife his wife and the kids call them both grandpa. Whats even weirder is they both have the same name so we call them J1 and J2. And not just us, the whole neighborhood. But they are nice people lol. Just a lil weird to explain to the kids lol.

All the other 5 surrounding me don't speak English. So a lot of conversations that I don't understand.

I had someone make a fake bomb out of a battery and put it in my front yard. Woke up to take the kids to school and my whole house was surrounded by Swat team and blocked off. Still pissed they never knocked to tell me to get out of the house, even though it was a dud. My friends actually saw it on the news and called me as I was walking out the door.

But seriously Im prob the one they would have more stories about on my street if you asked my neighbors :drinker:
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Spanking the hell out of each other...
  • _SamIAm_
    _SamIAm_ Posts: 20 Member
    My neighbors are swingers and party in their hot tub all the time. Not my thing but hey, do you.