Any classic monster movie fans here?

LessofBrian
LessofBrian Posts: 43 Member
Hi all,

I've always been a movie fan, particularly old monster/sci-fi/detective movies. I'm talking movies from the 1930's - early 1970's. If you like classic monster movies, you understand. If not, well, here's a list of some great classic movies for this time of year:

The Wolf Man (1941)
Frankenstein (1931)
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
Horror Hotel aka City of the Dead (1960)
Horror of Dracula (1958)
Brides of Dracula (1960)
House on Haunted Hill (1958)
El Vampiro (Mexican 1957)
Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971)
It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
Them! (1954)
The Thing from Another World (1951)
Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Psycho (1960)
Curse of the Demon (1957)
The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
The Black Cat (1934)
Planet of the Vampires (1965)
JAWS (1975)
Gargoyles (1972)

There are so many I could recommend! I have thousands of movies in my DVD collection. My family and I even made several (very) low-budget movies when my kids were little! With titles like 'Frankenswine', 'Space Aliens from Outer Space', 'The Mummy In the Maze', 'Charlie Chan in Transylvania' and 'Evel Knievel on Skull Island: The Rescue of Ann Darrow', how could you go wrong?!?

Brian

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Seen all of those.

The movie that scared me the most as a kid was The Crawling Eye (1958). Didn't see it on your list.

Loved all those old movies. It was all about suspense, not graphic violence and CGI.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    I'm a Horror movie Junkie! Especially those from the 70's! :smile:
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    You left of the best of them all the combination of monsters and aliens. And one of the greats last film, Bela Legosi. Though his part was incomplete due to his death during filming.

Ladies and gentlemen I give you the Best "worst" movie of all time.

PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE (1959)
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Just this morning I was talking with a friend about the scary/monster movies that come out during the month of October. I mentioned to her about the movie Creepshow from back in the 80's I think. Funny what you remember.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    Ah, the classics. And short too. Don't think any of them went up to 2 hours.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LessofBrian
    It was all about suspense, not graphic violence and CGI.

This!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    I watch Svengoolie every Saturday (they play classic monster movies and classic sci-fi every week. It's me and Hubs's "thing". Drink night! ) and have a collection of DVDs with over 100 monster movies/thrillers on them. If it's 40s/50s/60s horror, hubs and I love it.
  • Aero1dynamic
    Aero1dynamic Posts: 702 Member
    I am a HUGE horror movie buff, though, unfortunately, only one of two in the family. My daughter and I have a classic movie night every week, in which anything made before 1990 is IN. This weekend, we're set up to watch The Blob, 1958 AND 1988...Can't wait! =D
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Yep, absolutely love them. There's a channel on DISH that runs all the old horror movies all year long. I love it when they go on the Vincent Price/Poe binge. :D
  • Aero1dynamic
    Aero1dynamic Posts: 702 Member
    It was all about suspense, not graphic violence and CGI.

This!

Graphic violence and CGI have their place....It's simply that that place is NOT in horror films. That's hack n' slash, and while I enjoy them like any other, it is NOT horror, imho.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Yup love em. My 9 year old asked me the other day after watching "Nosferatu" if there was a sequel. He loved it.
  • LessofBrian
    Not only do I enjoy classic monster/sci-fi movies, but about 11 years ago I began making short films! My earliest movies were family affairs, with titles like FRANKENSWINE and SPACE ALIENS FROM OUTER SPACE. My kids are grown and gone now, but I still enjoy making short films. My latest is called ZOMBIE ATTACK AT FORT FALCON. Here is a short teaser I put up on YouTube over the weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhg4zfQQXC4

• 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    I would add Karloff's "The Mummy", Price's "House of Wax", and a mid-50's cheapie called "The Werewolf" (not the Chaney Jr. version). Chaney Sr.'s 1925 "Phantom of the Opera" is another oldie but goodie... a bit earlier than the specified bracket but so good it bears mentioning.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    edited October 2014
    On Saturday nights here in the Bay Area back in the 70's and early 80's, "Creature Features" used be on with commentary from Bob Wilkins and then John Stanley. They were so nerdy (aren't most of us horror film fans?) and fit the criteria to do the commentary. Bland and monotone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aZGN0VM2s8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAtFCNZoxCo

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    I just order the original Dracula (with Bella Lugosi) on DVD. One of my all time favorites!
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Something I didn't realize until someone mentioned it to me: Lugosi's version of Dracula has no music score. It adds to the eeriness of the setting.
  • LessofBrian
    Thought I'd pick up this thread that I started last month. I'm working on a little short film called "Zombie Attack at Fort Falcon". We filmed much of it last weekend, but still have a few more shots to get. Here are a few frame grabs from what we shot:

893ni5gbuifw.jpg
    yngc6lyf6lpq.jpg
    qy83vfp7dhp3.jpg
    03jl4p93br9b.jpg
    atv17p2atuoc.jpg
    gpkcdvdpgnr2.jpg
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Love 'em. Thankfully, between netflix and amazon prime, there is actually a good selection on there streaming.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    My favorite is the movie "THEM!".