Anybody surprised how well calorie counting works?

Replies

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member

You gained muscle while in a calorie deficit???

That's what I said, yes.

Losing half a pound a week puts her really close to the recomp zone.

Please explain this "recomp zone."
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

That's what I said, yes.

You can build muscle on a slight deficit or at maintenance over time. It's just too slow and tedious for most.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    But, but, the simple act of counting calories does not magically make me actually stay under my calorie goal and therefor lose weight. :sad:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

That's what I said, yes.

You can't build muscle at a deficit.

However, you can lose weight over the course of a month and not be at a deficit the entire time. If you eat slightly over and then slightly under, while resistance training, you can build a little muscle and then lose a little fat alternately.

It's not as efficient as bulking and cutting, but it can be effective as part of a long-term plan.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member

However, you can lose weight over the course of a month and not be at a deficit the entire time. If you eat slightly over and then slightly under, while resistance training, you can build a little muscle and then lose a little fat alternately.

It's not as efficient as bulking and cutting, but it can be effective as part of a long-term plan.

This is not what she was saying though. She was saying that she's been in a deficit and is gaining muscle while losing fat (inches in waist). This is extremely rare phenomenon that happens with obese newbies. Even then, it's not that significant. What is the more likely explanation is that she lost some fat but is retaining water due to the increase in physical activity.
  • likitisplit

That's what I said, yes.

How long have you been losing?
    How long have you been exercising?
    How are you measuring muscle gain?
    Do you lose consistently or do you plateau/gain for two or three weeks at a time?
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member

That's what I said, yes.

^ This.

I had no intention of starting some debate :grumble:

MFP has me set at 1200 calories. I am 5'2". While many people can eat 1200 calories, I can't do to for more than a couple days without starving. I just can't. I tried but ended up going to 1300-1400 and started lifting heavy. And yes, I gained some muscle. Not a lot, but some. And I started doing more cardio to burn the extra calories I was eating. So, yes, I am retaining water due to the lifting and probably due to sodium on some days but there is definitely an increase in muscle as well.

Is it a question of calories in vs calories out, yes. Do I find it easy, no. Is it working, yes. Slowly for me. If I cut back to 1200 calories, it would go faster but again, I just can't do it for more than a couple days. Everybody is different. This has been my experience.
  • likitisplit

That's what I said, yes.

^ This.

I had no intention of starting some debate :grumble:

MFP has me set at 1200 calories. I am 5'2". While many people can eat 1200 calories, I can't do to for more than a couple days without starving. I just can't. I tried but ended up going to 1300-1400 and started lifting heavy. And yes, I gained some muscle. Not a lot, but some. And I started doing more cardio to burn the extra calories I was eating. So, yes, I am retaining water due to the lifting and probably due to sodium on some days but there is definitely an increase in muscle as well.

Is it a question of calories in vs calories out, yes. Do I find it easy, no. Is it working, yes. Slowly for me. If I cut back to 1200 calories, it would go faster but again, I just can't do it for more than a couple days. Everybody is different. This has been my experience.

High five on the heavy lifting. That'll give you more room in your metabolism in the long run.

Good job on the weight loss as well. It can feel slow, but you'll notice huge changes along the way.
  • I really thought I'd be losing a lot more than what I am. I've directed in the past before and have always lost weight very easily when I actually tried to.

I'm giving myself 1200 calories and I go to the gym at least r times a week burning about 550 to 600 calories (I would love to know what people are doing to burn 3000 in a day!). I try and eat some of the calories back as I was under the impression that's what you were supposed to do, but often times I come in under my 1200 for the day.

I've been doing it goin on 4 weeks and have only lost 3 lbs. Sure it's better than staying the same or gaining, but still pretty depressing.
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member

High five on the heavy lifting. That'll give you more room in your metabolism in the long run.

Good job on the weight loss as well. It can feel slow, but you'll notice huge changes along the way.

Thank you! :smile:
  • jke78
    jke78 Posts: 59 Member
    I'm mostly surprised by how MUCH I can eat!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member

This is not what she was saying though. She was saying that she's been in a deficit and is gaining muscle while losing fat (inches in waist). This is extremely rare phenomenon that happens with obese newbies. Even then, it's not that significant. What is the more likely explanation is that she lost some fat but is retaining water due to the increase in physical activity.

Wait, wait, wait. I am trying to catch up. Newbie here. You can't gain muscle while at a deficit? Can you maintain it? I don't want to lose what I have.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    MFP -- counting calories is literally the only thing that has worked for me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

But if she is just at a slight deficit, she CAN build some muscle. It's not that rare. It'll take a while of course, and it probably isn't the most efficient, but it can be significant, and it's definitely not rare.

FTR: I'm not saying that is what is going on with that particular female.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Man. Another week and another 2 lbs lost doing absolutely nothing besides a little walking and counting calories (and wearing Fitbit) and i was just remembering back to before I started using fitness pal and how hard I thought it was to lose weight.

I seriously starved and dehydrated myself because I thought it was the only way to lose weight and that if I ate even a little bit, I would balloon up and my life would be over. The media and everyone always pumped into me the idea that to lose weight you have to eat non tasty "healthy" food and get ridiculous amounts of exercise. Ever since I discovered this little free app everything changed. I eat what I want, when I want. I have a great relationship with food and my weight loss is almost entirely predictable based on simple math. Burned 7000 calories this week? Say goodbye to 2 lbs. it's as simple as that! And it shocks me to this day how simple it is. I dont even need to exercise. If I'm sick or can't go out and do anything special, I can simply eat at a deficit and lose weight. It's amazing how much I used to over complicate things

Nice! Yeah I love MFP. It's all so SIMPLE. There's no magic pill. Calories in calories out.

I am a real spreadsheet nut, so the fiddly aspect of counting my calories actually really appeals to me, and I find it easy. Well at the beginning the counting was easy and the eating was hard, but honestly now it's all pretty easy. Plus seeing myself in the mirror is motivation enough to keep it up.

I'll probably calorie count forever, because the idea of going back to my old habits is so appalling.
  • likitisplit

Wait, wait, wait. I am trying to catch up. Newbie here. You can't gain muscle while at a deficit? Can you maintain it? I don't want to lose what I have.

You can maintain it. You can gain strength. You just can't GROW it.

In order to increase muscle, you need to have protein to store. If you're using all of the protein you take in for energy, you aren't going to have any left over to store.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    I'll admit that in the beginning it did kinda shock me that you really could eat what you want and lose weight. I had never studied nutrition before starting so I came in thinking what most people do.....sugar is bad, carbs are bad, have to eat "clean", it has to be miserable to succeed...all the myths like that. Of course, the forums taught me a lot, and made me start reading science and understanding it. Now it is of no shock at all to me cause I realize it really is just about energy balance.

This. I had a lot of preconceived notions about weight loss and nutrition and dieting. I was surprised by how easy it's been. 163 days in, 52 pounds gone. I still eat foods I love, enjoy going out for nice dinners and having a beer when I feel like one. I just make sure that things fit into my goals.
  • Chunkhotep
    Chunkhotep Posts: 16 Member
    OP, I agree 100%! I've said the exact same things to friends and family who ask about my weight loss.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member

You can maintain it. You can gain strength. You just can't GROW it.

In order to increase muscle, you need to have protein to store. If you're using all of the protein you take in for energy, you aren't going to have any left over to store.

Thank you. That does make sense. Maintaining muscle and getting stronger and losing fat sounds good for now. :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    No, but I was surprised how much protein was actually necessary to achieve muscle retention.