Should I ditch my workout partner?

paygep
paygep Posts: 401 Member
I'm talking about my bf.

See, he expressed an interest in lifting with me, so I re-arranged my program to be 2 days a week so that we could workout together. But ever since, due to issues of coordinating our schedules, we have only been managing to do 1 day a week.

Now I feel like I'm missing out on my gainz.

He works 6 days a week outside of the house, with a commute. I understand that he's tired and sometimes doesn't want to workout before or after work. But I work from home now, spend most of my day sedentary, and have PLENTY of time to fit in a workout.

I have been pushing back workouts, to wait until he has time to join me. He's not really showing the level of commitment that I would like to see.

So should just go ahead and workout, and let him jump in when he can? Is that mean?

I don't mind even 'coaching' him through the workouts at his pace, on his schedule.

I guess I'm feeling a little guilty, like I'm leaving him behind... or like he's holding me back...

Do any of you workout with your partner? Is there anything you could suggest, as far as schedule coordinating tips? Or how can I help motivate him to bring a little more dedication to our workout plans?

Replies

• fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Would be more selfish and do what you need to do for you.
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Definitely get a new workout partner or go by yourself...you don't need to be dragged down!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Just tell him you're happy to workout with him, but you really have to keep to the schedule the two of you planned, AT LEAST. If he is not going to make it, you go without him. Little bit of compromise.

My boyfriend works out at an outdoor gym. He was really motivated for awhile but I haven't heard him mention it in weeks and weeks. haha.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    I am sure he's a nice guy overall but a lousy training partner.
    Kindly move on to either solo training or with somebody else. I love my wife but could never have her as my training partner.
    We're miles apart in that gym and with how we keep schedules.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Forget about him. He is just another anchor weighing you down.
  • msmaggs89
    msmaggs89 Posts: 17 Member
    If you wait for him, not only will you not progress but you will resent him for it.Tell him you understand how busy he is, and show him your exercise schedule. Tell him he's always welcome to join you, and you go when you want to.
  • paygep
    We workout from home, so no excuses are really acceptable!

He's going to be jelly when I can DL more than him...
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    If you wait for him, not only will you not progress but you will resent him for it.Tell him you understand how busy he is, and show him your exercise schedule. Tell him he's always welcome to join you, and you go when you want to.

This!
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Just break up
  • Break up and let the guy live his life, you live yours.
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Keep to your schedule and if he wants to join you fine, but don't wait on him.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    " ...... So should I just go ahead and workout, and let him jump in when he can? Is that mean?"

yes, go ahead & workout ...... otherwise it's just an excuse .....

no, it's not mean ....
  • Aero1dynamic
    Aero1dynamic Posts: 702 Member
    I'm not going to tell you to breakup over a simple workout routine. That's just silly. I'm also not going to tell you to find another workout partner (unless she's female) as this could cause more problems than needed when you stop working out with HIM.
    I will tell you that waiting for him to fit your schedule is a waste of time.....yours. Simply explain to him that you feel you are not getting the time you need in the gym and, as another poster suggested, show him your schedule and invite him to come along when he has the time. In this way, you've communicated your needs and your intentions and he still feels welcome to be with you without the pressures of a "fixed" commitment to be at the gym when he's come home tired from work.

Hope it all works out for you =)
  • paygep
    Just break up

Ya I knew that was coming... :P
  • paygep
    " ...... So should I just go ahead and workout, and let him jump in when he can? Is that mean?"

yes, go ahead & workout ...... otherwise it's just an excuse .....

no, it's not mean ....

Snap! His excuses have now become my excuses!

It's pretty true tho
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Dotto to what everyone else said. Don't wait for him. You keep your schedule and he can join you when he can.