Healthy BMI

What is the healthy BMI for a 64 male, 5'8"?

(By the way this is Carrie6o6, made a profile for my Grandpa who wants to lose weight, I am helping him and he doesnt have a PC :laugh: even If he did he doesnt know how to use one!)

Replies

• What is the healthy BMI for a 64 male, 5'8"?

(By the way this is Carrie6o6, made a profile for my Grandpa who wants to lose weight, I am helping him and he doesnt have a PC :laugh: even If he did he doesnt know how to use one!)
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    18.5 to 25 is the healthy BMI for most people--I think you're thinking of something else though. Maybe what is a healthy weight?
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Yes thats it!! For the BMI it doesnt include age... Is that alright? According to BMI he should be at 164lbs max.. that seems low.. He is built like I am, short and stalky, and quite muscular... But he has the pop belly going on haha
  • shorerider
    Checked couple sites and they all said between 145 to 165 or so--depending on his body frame.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    I'm not sure what the range is but it is not just one number. For instance I have a large frame( broad shoulders and I can't circumvent my wrists with 2 fingers) so for me ( 5'7 ) it would be if I remember correctly between 120 and 165 but I think that if I could go below 200 it would be just fine for me. It depends on muscle mass and bone structure and personal preference. I think that it would be great to strive for more muscle and less belly:blushing: and healthy cholesterol and bloodpressure levels. I would go for about 175 and see how he feels , you can always reevaluate later
  • 165 seems so low though. My grandpa is built with a large frame I guess. He is very stalky, and very muscular.. There is no way he would be that weight he would be a tooth pick! :laugh:
  • shorerider
    To determine body frame size, follow link below--it also has a link to a "ideal weight" calculator as well. And, it says if you are a large frame, to add 10% to ideal weight.

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php
  • Thanks! :bigsmile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Um. . .go to

"my home"
    click on
    "tools" and use the handy dandy MFP BMI calculator. It will tell you if you're in your healthy range.:flowerforyou:
  • Yeah I went there, but it just seems so low. Grandpa wants to lose only about 25lbs and right now hes 232... Maybe he will go down further when the time comes haha
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    was it set for a male? That does seem low.

Yeah, it should count frame size, too. Maybe that other calculator would work better.

Also, remember that it's only a guideline. Some elite athletes are listed as "obese" just using the BMI, as it doesn't account for muscle mass.:smile:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Yeah my husband is really skinny and has fat % of 19 but according to BMI hes almost obese :ohwell:

making meals for grandpa is harder than I thought! Even though he gets to eat WAY more cals than I its hard to balance the fat, carbs and proteins! I see to be going over on carbs by a few as well as protein, but im not so worried about the protein
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    BMI is just one measurement - I would look up what his ideal waist and such size for frame would be.... BMIs are non-gender from what I know so.... toughy.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    To determine body frame size, follow link below--it also has a link to a "ideal weight" calculator as well. And, it says if you are a large frame, to add 10% to ideal weight.

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php

addresses the "I weigh more than it says I should" question:

http://mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/AN01033

This is basic FDA dietary recommedations for different age groups, too. A little OT, but good to know that diet requirements are different for the genders and different ages. I like it as a reference tool:

http://www.iom.edu/Object.File/Master/21/372/0.pdf

:glasses: