Training and Dizziness

I've recently begun Circuit Training and cardio at a different gym...
I've noticed that near the end of my workouts I begin to feel dizzy and/or a headache develop... I'm not sure how to help this and I don't want it to discourage me from what I've begun.

To break it down:
I do Circuit Training for 45 minutes (lead by instructor) twice a week
and I try to get to my gym at least once a week for cardio
My muscles have been taking a beating because I'm so new to exercising - I've been drinking/eating protein, reduced my carbs (which I feel is where I've gone wrong), I eat a lot of salads, almonds, fruit, veggies, and water.
I don't want to eat a lot of carb heavy foods, but perhaps there's suggestions that I can receive for before my classes that will reduce the dizziness/headaches?
Thanks...

Replies

• horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Are you eating before you workout? Are you drinking before and during? How long ago did you start?
  • When I was carb cycling for a few months, I noticed that workouts were hardest on my lowest carb days and the day after. After noticing this, I only did cardio on those days. No weights. High carb days were a little cardio and lots of weights.

Are you drinking enough H2O?
  • Are you eating before you workout? Are you drinking before and during? How long ago did you start?

Last week I ate dinner before going to circuit, I had chicken breast and a salad with some veggies... I drink water throughout but I didn't eat afterwards... I just drank water when I got home.
  • When I was carb cycling for a few months, I noticed that workouts were hardest on my lowest carb days and the day after. After noticing this, I only did cardio on those days. No weights. High carb days were a little cardio and lots of weights.

Are you drinking enough H2O?

So basically I should try to indulge a little more in the carbs before the boot camp style workout and less when I just doing treadmill etc?
    I always have water with me...
  • robin35051
    robin35051 Posts: 2 Member
    How is your blood pressure? Is it on the low side? I was having a very similar problem. I would get done with a workout and then have to sit in the locker room for 10 min. because I felt like I was going to faint. After going through all the tests my doctor could think of (ie. Stress test, EKG, blood workup...) he checked my sodium levels and said I was one of only 4 patients in all his years of practice that he had to recommend eating more salt. As soon as I switched my breakfast from a cereal to an egg beater/protein one, I stopped having the dizzy spells and I pretty much had had them all of my life. I am NOT recommending you just start consuming salt, that can be extremely dangerous, but I do recommend asking your doctor about it.
  • How is your blood pressure? Is it on the low side? I was having a very similar problem. I would get done with a workout and then have to sit in the locker room for 10 min. because I felt like I was going to faint. After going through all the tests my doctor could think of (ie. Stress test, EKG, blood workup...) he checked my sodium levels and said I was one of only 4 patients in all his years of practice that he had to recommend eating more salt. As soon as I switched my breakfast from a cereal to an egg beater/protein one, I stopped having the dizzy spells and I pretty much had had them all of my life. I am NOT recommending you just start consuming salt, that can be extremely dangerous, but I do recommend asking your doctor about it.

Oddly enough, he has told me to consume more salt in my past but as far as I know, my blood pressure is fine. I guess another checkup might help.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    I can work out on elliptical trainer and stationary bike, but if I run on a treadmill, I get so dizzy I almost fall down and want to vomit. Running without actually going anywhere gives me some type of motion sickness. Its just with running and not bicycling etc. I don't know why. Maybe you can identify a particular exercise that makes you dizzy like I did.
  • I can work out on elliptical trainer and stationary bike, but if I run on a treadmill, I get so dizzy I almost fall down and want to vomit. Running without actually going anywhere gives me some type of motion sickness. Its just with running and not bicycling etc. I don't know why. Maybe you can identify a particular exercise that makes you dizzy like I did.

It's hard to determine because my circuit training includes soooo many different exercises - I did want to vomit at my last class but it was my very first circuit class - I am hoping tomorrow's is better.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Are you holding your breath while you work out? Some people forget to breathe, as silly as that sounds.
  • So basically I should try to indulge a little more in the carbs before the boot camp style workout and less when I just doing treadmill etc?
    I always have water with me...

You could try it and see if you like it.

When I was carb cycling, Monday through Wednesday were my low carb days (75 to 100 grams consumed). On these days I would just do cardio (hiking, walk/jog). Thursday and Friday I would do weight training and consume higher amounts of carbs (for me it was about 1.3 grams x every pound of body weight). Saturday was a light weight training day with some cardio of some sort and medium carbs (somewhere in between low and high). Sunday was my rest day and usually a low carb day, but sometimes it was a cheat day, I must admit.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    You could try with different amounts of carbs before you workout. For me, a piece of wheat bread with peanut butter and a banana is ideal. See what works for you. See what works for you. Adding small amounts to get you to an optimal level will be a trial and error event.
  • jasati
    jasati Posts: 18 Member
    Issue; I'm happy losing weight with a low carbohydrate diet, but I'm always tired, get light headed when I stand up, and if I exercise for more than 10 minutes I feel like I'm going to pass out.

The solution is salt...a bit more salt to be specific......When you restrict carbs for a week or two, your kidneys switch from retaining salt to rapidly excreting it, along with a fair amount of stored water. This salt and water loss explains why many people experience rapid weight loss in the first couple of weeks on a low carbohydrate diet.....
    ...the best solution is to include 1 or 2 cups of bouillon or broth in your daily schedule. this only adds 1-2 grams of sodium to your daily intake....on the days you exercise, take one dose of broth or bouillon within the hour before you start.
    (extracted from The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living -Jeff s. Volek, PhD, RD/Stephen D. Phinney, MD, PhD)

I exercise 4-5 times weekly, HIITraining, and always add a small amount of salt to my water bottle for use at the gym or drink a cup of bouillon (one teaspoon with hot water) before exercising.

This may be helpful, my experience of this has been positive. Good luck.
  • Thank you!

I appreciate all the feedback