I have such good intentions...

...and the road to hell is paved with good intentions....

My problem in turning good intentions into actual action. I keep making plans to take my two dogs for a walk in the morning. I get out the clothes the night before, set my alarm an extra hour early, I know the route I want to take in order to cover 3 miles, everything, but I just cant seem to get my a** out of bed to go on the walk. Its pitiful I know. What am I going to do to get my butt going. My dogs love the walk and I feel good when I do go, I just cant seem to make it a routine. I soooooooooo need help.

Someone please beat me so I'll go and not be a lazy, I'm-gonna-sleep-till-the-last-possible-moment, girl.

Replies

• ...and the road to hell is paved with good intentions....

My problem in turning good intentions into actual action. I keep making plans to take my two dogs for a walk in the morning. I get out the clothes the night before, set my alarm an extra hour early, I know the route I want to take in order to cover 3 miles, everything, but I just cant seem to get my a** out of bed to go on the walk. Its pitiful I know. What am I going to do to get my butt going. My dogs love the walk and I feel good when I do go, I just cant seem to make it a routine. I soooooooooo need help.

Someone please beat me so I'll go and not be a lazy, I'm-gonna-sleep-till-the-last-possible-moment, girl.
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    You need to get one of those alarms that fall on the floor when you hit snooze so that you have to get out of bed and chase it to turn it off! And look at it as being a good, loving, responsible pet owner getting the dogs out to exercise. They do love yo for it!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    It won't work trying to make yourself get up a full hour earlier than normal. You need to train your mind and body to do that. It is pretty easy, just start setting your alarm for 15 minutes ealier, after a few days you will tire out and actually start to go to bed a bit earlier, keep doing that until you have reached your goal of an hour.

The body is used to getting a certain amount of sleep each night, and most people cut that short, which is one reason people gain, or can't lose weight. It would be hard to go to bed an hour earlier without tossing and turning, the same is true for getting up.

Baby Steps...:wink:
  • girldeese
    girldeese Posts: 132
    I walk my dogs for exercise too. And believe me I didn't want to today, but I made myself and as soon as we were out I felt better! I just love the way it feels at the end of the day being able to tell myself "Look what you did!" "Woo-Hoo!" - Yes I am a nut, but I know it can be hard somedays....but I feel better in the end and that is what I use for motivation! :flowerforyou:
  • I totally get the training my body to get up earlier gradually, but until about 2 weeks ago, when I moved and began a new job I had to get up a full 2 hours earlier than I do now just to make it to work on time, and when I moved I left a house with a lot of acreage (where my dogs used to run and play without my encouragement) and moved into an apartment in the city. So I guess I feel like I should be able to get out of bed in time to go for a walk just fine. I dont know, I'm just feeling stupid because I can seem to get the ball rolling. I know once its a routine I'll be fine, its the getting started that seems to be the issue.

gaggggggggggggg

I guess we'll see how tomorrow goes, Ive got everything planned, hopefully just admitting that I'm struggling will give me the strength to do it.

Thanks guys. :)
  • girldeese
    girldeese Posts: 132
    I'm adding you as a friend and I will check on you tomorrow and ask you if you took a walk!!:bigsmile:
  • And OMG does one of those moving alarm clocks sound like a BRILLIANT idea! Where can I get me one. :bigsmile:
  • We'll now I cant let you down too, I'll for sure go for a walk. Thanks for the support. I already feel so much better. :bigsmile:
  • whalomgirl
    whalomgirl Posts: 35 Member
    I hear ya! I always plan to do it...but I am soooo tired!
  • Godsmonty
    Godsmonty Posts: 105 Member
    hi,
    you could try http://www.encouragingcoach.com/programs-habits.htm
    i once got a new habits checklist from this which really helped me track my flossing.
    hope you find a motivation that works for you!
  • Update, YAY!!!!!! I managed to haul myself out of bed this morning at 6:30 to go for my walk with my dogs. It was a beautiful clear crisp morning and the view of the city from the beach was gorgeous. Anywho, thanks to all of your encouragement, it really did help. :bigsmile: