for those questioning calories burned during work outs

Options
I just thought I would mention to those who didn't know how many calories they were burning and questioned how right the calories are on MFP. I am amazed every time I go running and I am wearing my HRM with strap and I come home and put in how long I ran and how fast, I swear... IT is within a few calories of being the same! And we are talking like I burned 720 and it says 718. I almost didn't need to buy this HRM Watch thing after all, but I love it anyway.
So feel good about it on here, they are good!

Replies

• StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    I just thought I would mention to those who didn't know how many calories they were burning and questioned how right the calories are on MFP. I am amazed every time I go running and I am wearing my HRM with strap and I come home and put in how long I ran and how fast, I swear... IT is within a few calories of being the same! And we are talking like I burned 720 and it says 718. I almost didn't need to buy this HRM Watch thing after all, but I love it anyway.
    So feel good about it on here, they are good!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    glad they are for you but they're not for me, sorry.

For example, this morning, I did 21 miles. My HRM tells me I burned up 750 calories. MFP says I burned up 1133. For some exercises, just inputting the speed you went doesn't cut it--you need to know how hard your body had to work to get you to that speed. Three months, I would have burned up 1133 easily on this ride (probably much more since I weighed so more, too) but not today.

Anyway, just be careful with any website's estimates and remember, that's what they are--estimates. To be more accurate, you need a HRM.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I couldn't afford a HRM, but I bought a $10 pedometer since I do most of my exercise by walking or jogging. This morning I jogged 1.5 miles in 17 minutes (slow, I know...) and walked at 3.5 mph for 45 minutes.

My pedometer kept the time, my steps, distance, and an estimate on calories.

The pedometer said I burned 398 calories.

MFP said I burned 396.

I've had tons of success thus far using MFP. I trust it. The pedometer matching really didn't surprise me.
  • tamifanny
    tamifanny Posts: 113
    Options
    And don't forget...you look Marvelous with it on...so professional looking:laugh:

Your doing amazing things SM! I wish I could run like you....(not me not after having back surgery) You go Girl:tongue:
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    And don't forget...you look Marvelous with it on...so professional looking:laugh:

Your doing amazing things SM! I wish I could run like you....(not me not after having back surgery) You go Girl:tongue:

Your the best!!! You will get there one day. I will keep you on it!

And when I am running with it on, I do sometimes think to myself how cool it looks. I know only some of the people know it has a purpose, and thos are the people that think it looks cool to.:laugh:
  • tamifanny
    tamifanny Posts: 113
    Options

Your the best!!! You will get there one day. I will keep you on it!

And when I am running with it on, I do sometimes think to myself how cool it looks. I know only some of the people know it has a purpose, and thos are the people that think it looks cool to.:laugh:
    [/q:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: uote]
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    my elliptical says 175 and MFP says 333. That is quite a difference. I am treating myself to the HRM everyone recc on this site.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Do NOT ever trust the machines in the clubs! Even the girls that work in my club told me that. Once I got my HRM, I was astounded at far off the machines are. And as for my HRM, it's usually about 2x what the MFP algorithm says.