Stronger, Better, Faster Challenge August 31st (?!)

Ack! Tomorrow is September.

Today, I'm going for a walk (to lunch and back) and will probably go over to my gym for some elliptical. Due to my wine/bread/cheese incident on Tuesday, I missed a cardio session, so I'm going to try to get it in today.

I'm setting a few new goals for September:

to increase strength training to three days a week. (full body one day and upper body/abs only on two other days).
cardio three days a week elliptical 2xs and spin once
yoga three days a week

clean eating 95% of the time.

Happy Sunday, everybody!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Ack! Tomorrow is September.

Today, I'm going for a walk (to lunch and back) and will probably go over to my gym for some elliptical. Due to my wine/bread/cheese incident on Tuesday, I missed a cardio session, so I'm going to try to get it in today.

I'm setting a few new goals for September:

to increase strength training to three days a week. (full body one day and upper body/abs only on two other days).
    cardio three days a week elliptical 2xs and spin once
    yoga three days a week

clean eating 95% of the time.

Happy Sunday, everybody!:flowerforyou:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Dang! I always forget to check in on the weekends!! Yesterday I did alright. Went to see the in laws because they are camping. I did go over my calorie count but Im not worried. My husband said its ok. Just one more week for me to go! Ive already went 2 weeks without binging! Today I just hope to stay in my cals and maybe will exercise I dunno
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Yeah, September! Marks the beginning of the end of summer - though it's going to be near 100 degrees all week - and humid, unless Gustav sucks all our moisture out.

Yesterday, I did elliptical, walk/jog, and a little yoga. My new goal is 3x a week for yoga. I do much better if I go to a class than do my own practice. Today I may do the long walk - may run out of time though and have to do elliptical instead.

Even though I joined at the end of September, I'll say my year anniversary is tomorrow. Wow. While not were I expected to be weight wise, I'm still working at it and that is the most important thing.

Happy Workouts!
  • natalie424
    natalie424 Posts: 320
    My plan today...

Shred DVD
    Walk tonight
    LOTS of water
    healthy eating
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Morning, All!

I'm off to the gym. Got a BBQ today so my goal is to eat in moderation, log my calories ahead of time, and work my booty off at the gym!

I've got some big goals for September!
    ~ I'm doing a workout that I found on bodybuilding.com, and my goal is to spend all of September doing the plan. It's regimented (Monday is always biceps/ triceps, Tuesday is cardio, etc.) so it will be challenging with my travel schedule but I"m realizing that I've never actually completed a plan like this. Usually I just do what I feel like at the gym...and even though I'm burning 750 calories I'm not sticking to a concrete plan.
    ~ I asked to join one of the Biggest Loser groups here on the site, so I'm hoping that will help me with the overeating that I've been doing on the road.
    ~ Major goal: No eating after 8pm for the duration of my next shoot -- 12 days on the road. Wish me luck!

Vivia, I wrote yesterday about Bikram. I'm so thrilled to see how into it you've become. I remember your first session. Reading your posts is almost making me want to give it another try, but they already have great yoga (power, Iyengar, tuneup, yoga blend) classes at my gym so I'd have to pay extra to go somewhere else for it. Have you noticed any differences in your body since doing it?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member

Vivia, I wrote yesterday about Bikram. I'm so thrilled to see how into it you've become. I remember your first session. Reading your posts is almost making me want to give it another try, but they already have great yoga (power, Iyengar, tuneup, yoga blend) classes at my gym so I'd have to pay extra to go somewhere else for it. Have you noticed any differences in your body since doing it?

Yes and no. . .I am definitely more flexible. I don't know that the calorie burn is as high as I originally thought (although I haven't snuck my HRM back into class). . .I think that in my first class, I was primarily burning "anxiety calories" (if that's a good way to burn calories, I should totally be a stick by now). I find it very, very "cleansing". . .more mental/emotional than physical. I do admit that I love to sweat, and I sweat a LOT in that class. My balance has improved dramatically, and I'm really starting to like my legs for the first time ever. I admit I was hoping for the "magic results" that the bikram cult-like atmosphere promises, and hoping to drop five pounds in a month. :tongue: I do think that my body has re-distributed and firmed up quite a bit, but I've increased my weight training in the same time-frame, so who knows what to contribute that to. Mostly, I'm addicted to it for the stress-relief. I was on the verge of anti-anxiety meds, and that need has disappeared. Also, my joint pain gets serious relief from the heat and the stretching. Being a creature that loves ritual, I also appreciate that the class is the same every single time, no matter when I go. I've also noticed that my sleep has improved and my digestive system seems more. . .efficient. . .which is positive. Also, since I'm working on the whole "body acceptance" thing. . it is a good exercise to watch my body work in the mirror for most of the class, which is part of the form checking.

I guess to sum up:
    not for everyone.
    not the astronomically-high calorie burn (some websites say 1000 calories per class) that some claim, but higher than other forms, I think.
    very relaxing, once you give over to the idea that there is nothing else but yoga going on for that 90 minutes.
    not cheap, and most studios bleed you dry for water, towels, mat rental, etc. . .I bring my own of everything.
    you will get fantastic legs, seriously.:flowerforyou:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Hey everyone!

I just burned 250cals. not much but hey its something right? :smile: I hope to do another 300 before the day is done bringing my week total to 3000!!! :bigsmile: Yesterday I didnt work out and I felt like crap from junk food this morning. I felt horrible all day until I had a nap and started to exercise!! MAN I LOVE IT!! my day isnt complete until I exercise it feels like!!!

Since I went over in my cals majorly yesterday I almost fell into the trap of "I may as well start over monday since Ive fallen off" but I didnt! I just started to exercise!! Woo! Im excited!! :bigsmile:

You ladies are great! Im so glad I joined up with your group!! Thanks to who ever first started it!!! :flowerforyou:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Carrie - way to go on exercising! That is a really easy trap to fall into... but why lose another day when you can start over now? Great job. :flowerforyou:
  • Great job, Carrie! :happy: