Biking

Okay, I know your answer is going to be - get a heart rate moniter - but I'll ask anyway in case there is something else I can do. I already have to have a key, phone, and rescue inhalor with me - the idea of adding something else on to my body is pretty difficult.

How do I account for the different kinds of biking I do. I know that they are listed by speed and everything but I have a hybrid mountain bike which takes WAY more effort than a road bike.

Also, I came home to the country to visit my parents and there are SERIOUS hills out here. I had the biggest workout of my life (or so it seemed) and yet I only went 5 miles. I don't even want to enter my MPH because I know I burned so much more. :frown:

Replies

• jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Okay, I know your answer is going to be - get a heart rate moniter - but I'll ask anyway in case there is something else I can do. I already have to have a key, phone, and rescue inhalor with me - the idea of adding something else on to my body is pretty difficult.

How do I account for the different kinds of biking I do. I know that they are listed by speed and everything but I have a hybrid mountain bike which takes WAY more effort than a road bike.

Also, I came home to the country to visit my parents and there are SERIOUS hills out here. I had the biggest workout of my life (or so it seemed) and yet I only went 5 miles. I don't even want to enter my MPH because I know I burned so much more. :frown:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    the only way to know for sure is to get a HRM. It's not that 'bad" to wear, trust me. I strap the watch looking part onto my handlebars and I never even notice the strap now.
  • I agree, the strap you don't even notice. And for all the stuff you carry, have you gotten a hydration pack? There are all kinds out there (with two small bottles up to four big one and so many others) and most of them have a pouch. I run with my two bottles of water, phone, chapstick, extra paper towels, sometimes my keys and then I strap on my watch (HRM) and my Ipod and out the door I go. I don't even notice the hydration belt anymore.
    I know how you feel though. It seems the better I get at doing this stuff, the more stuff I need. One day a couple of weeks ago I forgot to wear my hat and after I got half way on my run the sun really started to beat down.
    I think I need a check list before I leave the house. But the watch is great, I don't usely use it for time, but it is nice to really see how my heart reacts to different things. You will love it.
    I got a Nike Imara on Ebay for like 20 bucks. I know the Polar's are really nice and some day that is my goal, but I haven't seen any for 20 bucks yet. You really need the strap though if you go different speeds and stuff though. The only way to get a good reading.
    Good luck.