exercising when sick

so i've been fighting acute bronchitis for the past 1.5 months. im on flovent inhaler right now, and it was under control and almost gone till this morning. i woke up coughing, exhausted, body aches, and had to go to work. two more hours to go in the ER! tonight i'm doing pilates but don't see how i can possibly get my cardio in. i can barely walk at this point. what do you guys think? anyone is same position?

i joined this website two weeks ago and so far haven't had that much success, just 2 lbs lost. this past weekend i was too tired to move but ate a bit too much. it seems like my motivation goes away when i'm under the weather . how do i get past that mental block??

would love all suggestions:flowerforyou:

Replies

• so i've been fighting acute bronchitis for the past 1.5 months. im on flovent inhaler right now, and it was under control and almost gone till this morning. i woke up coughing, exhausted, body aches, and had to go to work. two more hours to go in the ER! tonight i'm doing pilates but don't see how i can possibly get my cardio in. i can barely walk at this point. what do you guys think? anyone is same position?

i joined this website two weeks ago and so far haven't had that much success, just 2 lbs lost. this past weekend i was too tired to move but ate a bit too much. it seems like my motivation goes away when i'm under the weather . how do i get past that mental block??

would love all suggestions:flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    2 pounds in 2 weeks and you don't think that's great??? Given the small amount you have to lose, that is fantastic! You shouldn't be trying for anymore than 1 pound a week at your level.

heck, I went 3 weeks and lost 8/10 of a pound--and I weight a lot more than you!

You're doing great. Give your body time to heal--I wouldn't worry so much about the exercise right now--watch your food intake and let your body rest and recover.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Here's a great line I've picked up over the years at uni, because in my major that's something that comes up a lot (we all like to work out no matter what LOL):

Above the neck, GO
    Below the neck, NO

Which basically means that, if you have a little head cold or just a stuffy nose, go work with whatever intensity you feel is reasonable. If you have fluid in the lungs or a severe infection, don't go, because that will just irritate things further and create more phlegm. Feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • BBCoachKel72
    BBCoachKel72 Posts: 67 Member
    What did your doctor say? I'm sure it was NO OVEREXERTING! Why would you even want to put yourself at risk for something more serious? You can't even walk without feeling exhausted! Listen to your body it's trying to tell you something! REST!
    Kel~
  • rachel41
    rachel41 Posts: 354 Member
    I had acute bronchitis and a lung infection.I was told by my doctor no exercise at all.It can make it worst
    I just got over mind. I am back on my treadmill feeling better! It took about 2 weeks with lots of rest .:smile: GOOD LUCK!
  • I'm so glad that I rested last week when I was sick. It didn't last that long, and I recovered quite nicely!

Rest, rest, rest, and more rest.