Shin Splints..help please!

Hey guys..

So Ive been doing super fabulous with my exercises, walking with some jogging, elliptical and exercise bike are my main cardio. Last weekend, I started playing tennis (nothing serious just casual fun tennis to add in as some fun cardio). Well this past Thursday I began to have pain in my left lower leg in the front like on the bone.. It began after about 5 min of exercise. Since then, anytime I exercise the pain begins about 5-10min into my exercise and persists throughout..sometimes not quite as bad, other times it makes me limp a little. :sad: I am thinking that this is shin splints after I talked with my sister and did some research on the internet. I looked up some ways to help heal, but it is going to take so long..

And Ive been doing so well with my cardio and really dropping weight and improving my health. Some websites suggested swim running, and biking as alternative cardio for about 6 weeks until I can slowly ease back into more aggressive walking/jogging again. Anyone here have any advice on how to help with shin splints and ideas for alternative intense cardio?? I exercise atleast 4-6 times a week anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours.

I appreciate any help :smile:

77669.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• katyk08
    katyk08 Posts: 302
    Hey guys..

So Ive been doing super fabulous with my exercises, walking with some jogging, elliptical and exercise bike are my main cardio. Last weekend, I started playing tennis (nothing serious just casual fun tennis to add in as some fun cardio). Well this past Thursday I began to have pain in my left lower leg in the front like on the bone.. It began after about 5 min of exercise. Since then, anytime I exercise the pain begins about 5-10min into my exercise and persists throughout..sometimes not quite as bad, other times it makes me limp a little. :sad: I am thinking that this is shin splints after I talked with my sister and did some research on the internet. I looked up some ways to help heal, but it is going to take so long..

And Ive been doing so well with my cardio and really dropping weight and improving my health. Some websites suggested swim running, and biking as alternative cardio for about 6 weeks until I can slowly ease back into more aggressive walking/jogging again. Anyone here have any advice on how to help with shin splints and ideas for alternative intense cardio?? I exercise atleast 4-6 times a week anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours.

I appreciate any help :smile:

77669.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    From what I remember from high school basketball, the girls that got it real bad would ice their legs before workout and then have a trainer tape their legs to relieve some of the pressure. Not sure if any of these are something you'd be able to do prior to workout. It is best to just let your legs heal like the site said and then work your way into the high impact sports again. It would seem that doing the elliptical and exercise bike shouldn't be a problem because there isn't much impact on the feet in those exercises. Have you thought of doing any aerobic dvd's? Since many routines switch it up into different movements maybe it wouldn't put so much stress on one part or your body. Hope I've helped!
  • Kali13
    Kali13 Posts: 30 Member
    Hi there. I've had this problem myself. The best alternatives I've found for myself have been the stationary bike (or you could take up cycling, maybe?) and swimming. Both can give a really good cardio workout while staying off the shins.

I was never a very good swimmer; I could never get the breathing right. If you have the same difficulty, I recommend using a snorkel. (Don't use fins, though - they make you lazy). That way you can forget about trying to keep water out of your mouth and just concentrate on the cardio aspect of it from the beginning. I worked up to swimming a kilometre a day, and it was the best exercise I ever found for all-over muscle toning. The only reason why I don't do it regularly now is that I've since moved to an area where the local pool is only open for a few months of the year. Grrrr!
  • I had horrible shin splints when I was in the military. Just stop running or anything like that. I would do the eliptical or the bike or the rower. But what really really helped, was to warm up my legs by stretching, especially my legs, and then rubbing my shins with my hands. Then when I was done exercising, I would again do the stretching and then rub my shins again, I would put some heating type of cream on them as well. Then when I got home and took a shower, I would sit for a while and put an ice pack or a cold wet towel on my legs. That helped a lot.

The big thing that you have to start doing now since you have them, is to stretch! And always warm up your legs before you exercise, rubbing or massaging your legs will help so much. But stretching will help the most. If you can take a week or two off from any type of leg workouts, I would. But stretch everyday! Stretch, stretch, stretch!
  • kimmerlyjo
    kimmerlyjo Posts: 134 Member
    pecksun is absolutely right! take a break from running (or any activity with excess impact) for a few weeks. i had shin splints to the point i was waking up in the middle of the night with sharp pains pulsating through my shins. I am in the military and finally went to see a doctor that appeared to know what was going on. he forced me to take a 3 week break from running and then when i was ready to start running again he had me find proper running shoes before i started again. it's amazing the difference i feel (or don't feel) now! if they start to flare up a bit i ice before i run and ice again after. it's made a world of difference!
  • Hi There,

For years I have struggled with sore shins off and on and my favourite activity is to run. In desparation I was talking with a nurse who was also a runner and her advice was to take 1 nurofen before or after the running each day. As a common anti inflammatory I saw it as worth a try and I personally have never looked back. Now I know my body signals and only take nurofen when I need to, maybe one tablet every 2 days. Works for me but don't know if any doctor would agree with this advice, maybe worth an ask to your own doctor - my medical knowledge goes as far as a band aid so read what I do with that in mind.

Best of Luck with it all though shins splints are YUCK.

cheers Moreeta
  • Reducing or eliminating repetitive impact will definitely help reduce shin splints, but that's not much help if you really want to keep running. Getting sidelined with something like shin splints can really throw you off-track (no pun intended!) when you're getting into a good groove and you don't want to lose momentum on your fitness plan.

reet34 is right on. You'll want to use an anti-inflammatory (such as ibuprofen) if you can. That alone can make a big difference. You can also put cold compresses on your shins when you complete a run to reduce any immediate acute pain.

If you're going to keep running, it's a good investment to spend money on good shock-absorbing running shoes. Go to a store that specializes in running shoes and have someone help you. They will often ask to watch you run in order to make a good recommendation. You may overpronate (like me) which can make shin splints worse.

Finally, be sure to stretch your ankles and calves BEFORE and AFTER you run. I was a gymnast for many years and had chronic shin splint problems, but was able to manage it by using these techniques.

Whatever you do, stay active somehow. You'll be so thankful you did. I wish you the best of luck!!
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    i had this problem when i started walking and it seems to get worse when i would walk up hill, i just did some exercises with rotating my foot towards my shin and back down and i also boughtmyself a good pair of shoes to exercise in,,

20033.png
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    I wish I could help you. Mine have resolved quickly (2-5 days) and are not chronic. But I notice that when I wear heels that the problem is almost inevitable. Maybe consider new shoes?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Shin splits suck!

1st thing you need to do is go to a running store, one that specializes in running, and be fitted for the right running shoe for you. You'd be amazed at how important correct shoes are. It will cost a little more for serious running shoes (about $80 to $130) but it's SO worth it.
    2nd, until this heals completely, try to avoid running on pavement, find a park, or better yet, a track that has rubber base, they offer much less pounding on your shins.
    3rd, do as others have suggested and do a long stretching session before doing any running, pull your toes toward your head, and then (while holding something for stability) point your leg out at about a 30 degree angle in front of you and point your toes with your knees locked, hold it for 10 to 15 seconds, feel it streching, then repeat with the other leg, do this 3 times or more each leg.
    4th, Ice immediately after feeling any pain for an hour of 10 minutes on 10 minutes off Ice should do the trick , then heat after should get rid of the swelling. Anti-inflamitory OTC medication should help with that too (take it about an hour before you run if you can).
    5th and final, go to runners world and read the posts on form. The form you have when you run is vital to keeping your lower body safe. www.runnersworld.com has some great tips for novice runners and form.

Here is a specific form article from rw

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-8210-0,00.html