nutrition and weight lifting question

I am trying to get my muscle to fat ratio up to help with burning more cal while I am at rest.

So far I have been training 3 x's a week- full body. Heavy weights until muscle exhaustion. I was told that I should have some protein and carb before workout and then protein (like a protien shake) immediately after to build my muscle back up. Then smalls meals from there.

Does anyone here do this or had any success/advice for this type of thing? Any words of wisdom are appreciated! Thanks.

Replies

• mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    I am trying to get my muscle to fat ratio up to help with burning more cal while I am at rest.

So far I have been training 3 x's a week- full body. Heavy weights until muscle exhaustion. I was told that I should have some protein and carb before workout and then protein (like a protien shake) immediately after to build my muscle back up. Then smalls meals from there.

Does anyone here do this or had any success/advice for this type of thing? Any words of wisdom are appreciated! Thanks.
  • I have recently read the same thing. I have been using a whey protein drink after but hadn't been paying very much attention to the before. The last couple of days I have been eating a box of raisins about 30 minutes before my workout. One thing I have noticed is my workouts go by a lot quicker, that is, I seem to have more enthusiasm.

Prior to the protein drink I had gotten stuck (plateau) and just felt weak. But, that is about when I started MFP and noticed how low my protein was compared to what many recommend for strength training (.6 to .8 times body weight in pounds). The extra protein seems to have helped that. I just stopped the drink, though, and am going to try and get the protein from food instead (mainly chicken breast).

I have had success using strength training for weight loss. I don't do any regular cardio. I just lift weights and stay in my calories and have lost fifty pounds since October and gone from a BMI of 31.7 to 24.8. I still regularly drop 1 to 2 pounds a week. Also, my body fat is down to 18.5% and slowly falling. Strength training can definitely work.
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    interesting- thanks for the link!