5k on Sunday

Hello! I am running a 5k on Sunday. It is my second. Is there any tips, suggestions, or information that some of the more experienced runners would be willing to share?

Replies

• Hello! I am running a 5k on Sunday. It is my second. Is there any tips, suggestions, or information that some of the more experienced runners would be willing to share?
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    First of all, Congrats!

Enjoy yourself
    Don't line up right at the front, you'll get run over
    Don't worry about your time
    Enjoy yourself
    Don't go out too fast (easy get caught up in the excitement and how fast everyone else is running)

Oh, did I mention enjoy yourself? :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Hoooooray for you!!! There are some great links on the running threads. Good luck on your adventure and let us know how it goes. YEY YOU!
  • Thanks guys!
  • Paulamma1 nailed it.

1) Enjoy the crowd, the camaraderie of fellow runners, and the fact that you're there.
    2) Start toward the back of the pack. It's more fun passing people early than it is to be passed.
    3) Force yourself to control your pace the first mile
    4) Begin pushing yourself a wee bit on mile 2
    5) Go ahead and press on mile 3, especially when that finish line is in sight!
    6) Enjoy the crowd, the camaraderie of fellow runners, and the fact that you finished the race.

Good luck. Enjoy the race!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Congrats!
  • obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    hmm... stupid question - this wouldnt happen to be for Bridge-To-Brisbane on Sunday would it?
    coz i'm walking the 5K with a few of my friends
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    What is your current time for 5k? I saw you want to beat 22 min.
  • shorerider
    hmm... stupid question - this wouldnt happen to be for Bridge-To-Brisbane on Sunday would it?

her profile says "SD" which I'm taking to mean South Dakota, so it would have to be a LONG 5K for you two to be in the same one :happy: Unless I've messed upon on what SD stands for anyway.
  • obliged

her profile says "SD" which I'm taking to mean South Dakota, so it would have to be a LONG 5K for you two to be in the same one :happy: Unless I've messed upon on what SD stands for anyway.

no i saw and thats why i said stupid question:blushing:
    i wasnt sure what SD stood for, thanks Shore!:flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    obliged--How's the tummy problems coming? Feeling better?
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Paulamma1 nailed it.

1) Enjoy the crowd, the camaraderie of fellow runners, and the fact that you're there.
    2) Start toward the back of the pack. It's more fun passing people early than it is to be passed.
    3) Force yourself to control your pace the first mile
    4) Begin pushing yourself a wee bit on mile 2
    5) Go ahead and press on mile 3, especially when that finish line is in sight!
    6) Enjoy the crowd, the camaraderie of fellow runners, and the fact that you finished the race.

Good luck. Enjoy the race!!

Congrats!! Have fun!! and ditto to all of the above!!!
  • obliged
    obliged--How's the tummy problems coming? Feeling better?
    100% better thanks Shore!
    been able to keep down food and water for a day or two now, but am still taking it a bit easy with what i eat - still not game to cook anything yet:laugh:
    except now two of my friends from uni have it - one of them is really bad shakes, high fever, lots of pain, - she's going to the doctors on Monday if she gets any worse she promised me she'd go to the hospital (She's a very stubborn person) but i told her if she turns up to do the 5K with us tomorrow I was going to kill her:angry:

have any plans for the weekend shore?