Runners Club - 9/5

HEY WHERE IS EVERYONE THIS MORNING?!?!?!?!?!

Come on Morning post-ers!!! Wake Up Kechie, Shannon, Ali, Slender1, Mireille, SM, Ahn, where are all the early birds?!??!

I am off today so heading out to the gym now for BodySculpt and then a run.

Hope everyone finds computers soon!!

TGIF!! :drinker:

Replies

• pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    HEY WHERE IS EVERYONE THIS MORNING?!?!?!?!?!

Come on Morning post-ers!!! Wake Up Kechie, Shannon, Ali, Slender1, Mireille, SM, Ahn, where are all the early birds?!??!

I am off today so heading out to the gym now for BodySculpt and then a run.

Hope everyone finds computers soon!!

TGIF!! :drinker:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Im here, Im here!!! Had our last bootcamp session until the 22nd. We did some drills at stations and then did a formation run for the last 20 minutes. No more running until Sunday. Have a great weekend everyone.
  • I was on the treadmill bright and early at 5am this morning. I walked for 10 min and then ran for 55 and then walked for 10 more to cool down.

I have a question for you guys, well actually ladies, if any of you run on the treadmill what do you do to mix it up and keep it fun? I live in northern Wisconsin and the winters are horribly cold not to mention it gets dark at 4:30pm so I will not be able to run outside at all this winter. I'm looking for ideas to keep my treadmill running fun. Any ideas?

Way to go Sherry and pmkelly on getting up at at 'em early!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    I was on the treadmill bright and early at 5am this morning. I walked for 10 min and then ran for 55 and then walked for 10 more to cool down.

I have a question for you guys, well actually ladies, if any of you run on the treadmill what do you do to mix it up and keep it fun? I live in northern Wisconsin and the winters are horribly cold not to mention it gets dark at 4:30pm so I will not be able to run outside at all this winter. I'm looking for ideas to keep my treadmill running fun. Any ideas?

I heard walking backwards on your treadmill is a different kind of work out. Maybe you could try that. I tried it at the gym once. I had to go real slow because I was off balance and afraid I was going to trip and hurt myself. I guess you do it enough it would not be a problem.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    This week has been chaotic! :ohwell:

Next week, I'll be back in action again. Have a lot of family coming into town today & will be busy with them.

Have a good weekend, studs & studettes! :smooched:
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    I had an hour swim this morning and i have an hour run for tonight!
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Hi everyone,
    I went for a long powerwalk yesterday and did Pilates. Today is a rest day. I use the treadmill here because it gets so hot! Our treadmills at the gym have tvs attached so it's easy to pass the time :wink:
    But I still prefer the outside anyday!
    Bunny
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Hi,

Got 3.5 miles in.

:flowerforyou:
  • Hi I am running a 5k this weekend and just started training for a half marathon, and I was wondering if I could join the group. I could definetly use an accountability check each day.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Good late Friday morning everyone!

Got in a 3 mile run and now I'm off to get a root canal! Yay for me :laugh:
    Hopefully it won't be like the last one, since the tooth in necrotic anyway, basically I am hoping with all my might that it doesn't hinder any workouts this weekend!

Just in case, have a great weekend! :drinker:
  • I'm a little late posting, but the only activity I'm doing today is applying ice and heat to my shoulder! I talked to a physical therapist friend last night, and she said no running until it starts feeling better. (Right now it seems to be getting worse as the days go on.) And if it's not feeling at least a little better by Sunday, she said to go to the doc for an MRI or X-ray.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Hi, Runners! I kickboxed this morning. My legs were a little sore from my run & lower body y'day! I am leaving at 4 w/ my buddies for the triathlon weekend!! We're checking into a hotel and it'll be an early morning tomorrow! I am so excited to see all of the athletes- there's a full IM and Half IM going on. (they're doing the Half IM) I hope to get in some running w/ them, if they will allow it! If not, I'll get in plenty of walking and running around while I'm waiting! LOL

Have a super weekend!

Jess
  • pmkelly409
    I was on the treadmill bright and early at 5am this morning. I walked for 10 min and then ran for 55 and then walked for 10 more to cool down.

I heard walking backwards on your treadmill is a different kind of work out. Maybe you could try that. I tried it at the gym once. I had to go real slow because I was off balance and afraid I was going to trip and hurt myself. I guess you do it enough it would not be a problem.

Walking backwards is great - also do lunges! I learned this at a Treading Class at the gym. Slow your speed way down and do a series of lunges as warm up or cool down.

I tend to use the pre-programmed workouts too. Other than that, I move the treadmill in front of the TV and find a good movie!! Be careful though - the other night I watched a tear jerker and I was so chocked up with emotion it was hard to breathe!!! :laugh:
  • pmkelly409
    Hi I am running a 5k this weekend and just started training for a half marathon, and I was wondering if I could join the group. I could definetly use an accountability check each day.

Welcome Granola girl - of course you can join us!! I am training for a 1/2 also - it is in only 6 weeks so I am scared!!! Trying to up my mileage and finding it hard with a busy schedule. Are you going to follow a plan for your training? When is the race?
  • pmkelly409
    I'm a little late posting, but the only activity I'm doing today is applying ice and heat to my shoulder! I talked to a physical therapist friend last night, and she said no running until it starts feeling better. (Right now it seems to be getting worse as the days go on.) And if it's not feeling at least a little better by Sunday, she said to go to the doc for an MRI or X-ray.

ICK!! that is no fun!!! wishing you a VERY speedy recovery!! :flowerforyou:
  • MFP friends,

I want to share some good news with you!! For those new to runner's club I will give a brief medical history. Last Nov.16th I was diagnosed with coronary artery disease. I had 90% blockage in one heart artery and 50-60% in two others. They placed a stent to repair the 90% blockage and took a wait and see approach on the other two.

I started walking the first day after coming home from the hospital and started running shortly thereafter. I added resistance training in Feb. I eat clean and workout hard. I am in the best shape I have been in years.

Today I went in for a nuclear stress test as a follow up to last years problems. The protocol for the stress test is to start out slow on the treadmill and increase speed and incline every 3 minutes until you reach 85% of age predicted max heart rate.

After my stress test the technician looked puzzled and kept looking at the print out. I thought something was wrong. It scared me a little. She was trying to figure out if there was a problem with the machine, because my heart rate dropped so quickly after stopping exercise! In one minute my heart rate dropped rom 142 to 99. Then when she took my blood pressure 2 minutes after stopping exercise it was already back down in the normal range. Her comment was "Jesus your in good shape."

I am sorry for droning on so long but I am excited! I thank each of you for you dedication and commitment and for the gift that you give every day by sharing your stories.

Keep moving
    JD
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    MFP friends,

I want to share some good news with you!! For those new to runner's club I will give a brief medical history. Last Nov.16th I was diagnosed with coronary artery disease. I had 90% blockage in one heart artery and 50-60% in two others. They placed a stent to repair the 90% blockage and took a wait and see approach on the other two.

I started walking the first day after coming home from the hospital and started running shortly thereafter. I added resistance training in Feb. I eat clean and workout hard. I am in the best shape I have been in years.

Today I went in for a nuclear stress test as a follow up to last years problems. The protocol for the stress test is to start out slow on the treadmill and increase speed and incline every 3 minutes until you reach 85% of age predicted max heart rate.

After my stress test the technician looked puzzled and kept looking at the print out. I thought something was wrong. It scared me a little. She was trying to figure out if there was a problem with the machine, because my heart rate dropped so quickly after stopping exercise! In one minute my heart rate dropped rom 142 to 99. Then when she took my blood pressure 2 minutes after stopping exercise it was already back down in the normal range. Her comment was "Jesus your in good shape."

I am sorry for droning on so long but I am excited! I thank each of you for you dedication and commitment and for the gift that you give every day by sharing your stories.

Keep moving
    JD

Congrats, t.hat is great news! My hubby had a quad bypass 2 yrs ago at the ripe old age of 50, and he too, has been exercising and watching what he eats. I understand your struggle, as I had to live it with him, but it has made him a better fitter person. Plus he is more aware of what he puts in his mouth, most of the times!

Carol
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    No run for me, actually no exercise at all. Darn hip is not better at all. I was actually in agony last night at a wedding. A little less painful today after a visit to a chiro, but on Monday I go to an osteopath. My left hip is much higher and forward than my right, hope they can correct this ongoing prob.

Great runs everyone else, I envy you!

Carol
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Hello:flowerforyou:

I ran 3 miles bright and early this morning. Then, it was off to the races! I had a whirlwind day. It is wonderful to come here and see all of the posts. Great job everyone!

Way to go JD!

See you tomorrow
    -Kechie.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member

I do interval training to get rid of the blahs... and I do mini-races in my head, listen to music sometimes pop sometimes meditation type depends on mood. If you can set up the news you can watch that while you run. Good luck!