Pilates Calories?

Cant find the website to figure calories burned for pilates....I know someone out there has it memorized Ü :laugh:
Thanks!
Today is a NEW day for me!!!!! I WILL DO THIS!!!
Kathey

Replies

• MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Cant find the website to figure calories burned for pilates....I know someone out there has it memorized Ü :laugh:
    Thanks!
    Today is a NEW day for me!!!!! I WILL DO THIS!!!
    Kathey
  • I have been told by a number of licensed trainers, that you can not rely on a website to tell you average calories burned. Each person is different. The advise I have gotten, is to purchase a Heart Rate Monitor and use it during your pilates session to give you an accurate count.

I had tried to find out avg calories burned for cardio kinkboxing, and the info I got was way off. I finally purchased my HRM a few months ago, and it has been extremely helpful! I log my exercise calories after my workout based on the info off the HRM, and my weight loss has been more predictable, credible and accurate. :smile:
  • butterfliblu
    butterfliblu Posts: 36 Member
    I have been told by a number of licensed trainers, that you can not rely on a website to tell you average calories burned. Each person is different. The advise I have gotten, is to purchase a Heart Rate Monitor and use it during your pilates session to give you an accurate count.

I had tried to find out avg calories burned for cardio kinkboxing, and the info I got was way off. I finally purchased my HRM a few months ago, and it has been extremely helpful! I log my exercise calories after my workout based on the info off the HRM, and my weight loss has been more predictable, credible and accurate. :smile:

Just out of curiosity, were the calories burned in kickboxing higher or lower than the info you got? I know my calss (turbo kickboxing) is really intense cardio nonstop for 60 minutes, so I was just wondering what the difference in calorie read-out was :)
  • I used my HRM in my Pilates class, it's fairly tough, but we do get a lot of breaks. I think I only burned about 120 cals over the hour. It's really not a Cardio/Aerobic activity, it's more intended for toning and core work. Hope this helps... :smile:
  • MumOfADuo
    FAIRLY tough??? OMG!!!!! I can do a spin class with minimal complaining, walk over 4 MPH easily, take all sorts of other classes at the gym with no problems and I JUST ABOUT DIED TAKING THIS CLASS!!!! I know everybody burns differently, one good thing about being heavy...I burn WAY more than the skinny chicks ÜÜ:laugh: Thanks for all the input! I do have a HRM but havent used it yet...its a body bugg...
    Blessings!
    Kathey, whose legs are STILL shaking....and who has a 12 mile training walk Saturday and an 8 mile on sunday...oh joy
  • MumOfADuo
    FYI, I did find a good site that will help with a GENERAL IDEA of how many calories you burn(if you cant find the 'exercise' on MFP!) ...you need to enter your weight and duration....
    It said for my weight I burned 389 but I dropped it down to 250 since it was the 1st time I have taken a pilates class and I wasnt able to do ALL the stuff.....
    Blessings!
    Kathey
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
  • Butterfliblu,

I got all kinds of numbers of the internet... Some said you burn 400 and some said 800. On Average I burn between 500 and 600 calories during a 1 hour of turbo kickboxing class. Taking the class tonight! I am 5'7" and weigh approx 138.
  • butterfliblu
    butterfliblu Posts: 36 Member
    Me, too! Turbo kickbox tonight :) I figured it is a good 400-500 calories for me.

Thanks!
  • I love caloriesperhour.com! as close as you are gonna get to accurate calorie burn!
  • MumOfADuo
    It is a VERY cool site!!!! I am doing a training walk tomorrow...it will be fairly slow, about 3.5 mph but it is a 12 mile one tomorrow so I am going to burn a few calories I think...then an 8 mile one on Sunday...and 3 MAJOR hills ICK!!!!
    I need to figure out my body bugg thing that I bought at the gym...anybody else have one?