Heart Rate 215?:???

Today I walked/jogged in my neighborhood for an hour. I have been doing this since July. My average heart rate was 146, however the highest it got was 215 :noway: .... Is this a bad thing? Am I getting close to heart attack or stroke with numbers that high? Should I be careful?:sad: Please help, any advice! :huh:

Replies

• tall_t
    tall_t Posts: 251
    Today I walked/jogged in my neighborhood for an hour. I have been doing this since July. My average heart rate was 146, however the highest it got was 215 :noway: .... Is this a bad thing? Am I getting close to heart attack or stroke with numbers that high? Should I be careful?:sad: Please help, any advice! :huh:
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    hmm...did you feel like you were working out that hard?
    I have had my hrm give me an inaccurate reading before
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    You don't say how you're measuring your HR. Ir you're using an HRM then my 2 cents worth are that tools like these are pretty unreliable. You're better off being able to learn how to measure your heart rate during exercises from you GP or an RN. In any case your HR shouldn't get that high unless you're an extraordinary person.

Now, if you're HR had really gotten that high and you're not in what you would call good physical condition I would try to document in as much detail as possible your activities prior to that reading, during that reading and immediately after and then go see your doctor and explain it to him.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I wouldnt worry, I would imagine there was something wrong with the HRM.

When determining your HR percentage you start with 220 and deduct your age. That is the highest your HR should ever go. At least this is what I have read.

So me at 100% is 173. Cardio zone is 90% and fat burning zone is 121-137.

I almost passed out when mine was 170 ( the first time I tried to jog!)

So I really cant imagine your HR was 215 and you were still standing!!
  • I wouldnt worry, I would imagine there was something wrong with the HRM.

When determining your HR percentage you start with 220 and deduct your age. That is the highest your HR should ever go. At least this is what I have read.

So me at 100% is 173. Cardio zone is 90% and fat burning zone is 121-137.

I almost passed out when mine was 170 ( the first time I tried to jog!)

So I really cant imagine your HR was 215 and you were still standing!!

Since we are on the topic...has anyone keep their HR in the fat burn zone and lost more weight then the Cardio zone?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    If you were wearing a HRM, then it could be a malfunction. Did you feel like your heart was beating that fast? The cheap one I bought at first would give false readings like that all time--which is way I got my money back and bought a Polar!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    now that is a good question. in this heat I am having a heck of a time keeping under 137 BPM. It is 140-160 if I am walking backwards!

I wanna burn da fat, ya know what I mean.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member

Okay, I'll be Henny Penny-- I don't like that 215. I had heart issues after the birth of my child and my heart rate got up to 225, and they were worried about my life. So, I naturally freak when I hear numbers like that. Please, please, please make sure that it's only a wacky monitor and not a wacky heart.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Did you take any medications that day? Sometimes decongestants like Sudafed and Sudafed PE can raise your HR and BP. I have actually gone as high as 220 myself under those circumstances. I wouldn't worry overmuch about the actual number, pay attention to how you feel though. If you start to feel lightheaded and dizzy, slow down and take it easy - that's the way I've always done it and it works for me, anyway. I would think that you'd be in more danger of simply passing out than actually suffering any kind of major coronary event though, so don't panic! :smile:
  • tall_t
    tall_t Posts: 251
    Thanks all for your input. I did use a Polar 4 HRM. I was exerting myself but not more than I usually do. (although it was hotter than when I usually jog/walk). I am also thinking it may have been a faulty read and I will keep my eye on it to see if I get another reading like that one!

Your all awesome. Thanks for your input!