does grocery store walking count

i have to go run some arrends one is to the grocery store and walmart and a few other places. Should the walking i do there count as walking? I wouldl think so because it is walking. Any opinons....

Replies

• I would count it. Personally, I usually use a 10-minute duration as cutoff for something to go in the exercise diary.
  • I put in at walking 2mph if I do around 30 mins or more, otherwise I don't bother.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    I think that would already be worked into the activity level you listed when you joined. I don't add errands and the such onto mine. The only time I add extra walking is if i'm going on an outing where i'm walkking for several hours (like Disneyland, etc.)
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    I count it. I don't count quick runs in to buy a gallon of milk, but I will count a big shopping trip. I usually do the 2mph if I have my son or husband, and quicker if I'm by myself. I'm one of those get-in-get-out type of people!
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    i use 2 mph as my set. usually i am walking faster but it is stop and go. i don't count the grocery, but i do count my days at the hospital as a nurse (student). I am usually on my feet for 6 hours or more and walking/lifting and so forth. I want to give myself some credit so i remember to eat some of what i probably burned. that being said it comes in peaks and lulls so i always just low ball my guess.
  • melkeps
    melkeps Posts: 17 Member
    I only add it, if its something you dont do every day or every other day. I think those walks count as normal living. But if i have a day of shopping and walk for hours ill logg half the time i went shopping as walking 2 mph.
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    I wasn't going to count it for myself the other day when I did that, but I wore my HRM and it was 45 calories total. So I added it.
  • I wouldn't, just because when I grocery shop, I don't walk consistently. For example, I'll stop to pick something up off a shelf, or to examine produce before selecting it. Now if I walked to the grocery store, I'd count it (but I wouldn't do it because I wouldn't be able to carry everything back!)
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    most of the time I don't. However, yesterday I did. We went to the bigger walmart, and were there walking around for almost 2 HOURS! I logged 45 minutes of 2.0 MPH walking, because it was over and above the time I typically spend there.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    It depends on your activity level. If you have your level set at sedentary, and you're going to be walking around for more than half an hour or so, I would probably count it. If you have your level set at lightly active or higher, I wouldn't.
  • IndependentMe
    IndependentMe Posts: 182 Member
    LOL, I just did this the other day! I normally don't count it, but because I had no other exercise to record that day, I put it for my Hooray I did something factor. I put it in for about 100 calories. I walk slow in the store, but you have to factor in the reaaching and the loading the stuff on, loading bags in your car, putting away the food.....So, maybe don't count it as a regular activity, but when you need to fill in some activity calories, it is okay to use.:smile:
  • We should all be taking at least 10,000 steps per day. All the steps you take during the day count even walking around the house. If you wear a pedometer you can see your total for the day and whether you are reaching the 10,000. If you aren't, try increasing the number of steps per day by a small amount and build up to 10,000.:smile:
  • I think so much of weight loss is a personal journey. I think only you get to decide what makes sense for you. For example. If you were a sedentary person who is trying to increase your fitness level and who is trying your best to add activity into your life, and if adding walking to the grocery store makes you excited about fitness, then by all means, add it in!

But I'm a city girl, and I walk around town all the time. Adding a jaunt to the corner store, or the library, or the grocery, or to work, would make little sense to me (would also be time consuming...)

I've seen folks add in "housework" which I think gets into the realm of the ridiculous. But hey...if it makes them excited about fitness, who am I to judge? Maybe they have gigantic houses...
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    I do not count daily living activities. I only count exercises that elevate my heart rate for more than 10 minutes.
  • To me it depends on why you want to log it. Are you just wanting to keep track of your movement? Or hoping to use it to eat more calories? All of life every day, your body is burning calories. Sitting at the table eating dinner, you're burning em up. I just hate to separate out - this is exercise - this isn't - when there can be such a fine line. All of life is movement.

When my heart rate is elevated for a while, that's when I log it.

BUT, if you're having trouble getting motivated to move, and writing it down inspires you, then go for it. Everyone is different. ;)
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    We should all be taking at least 10,000 steps per day. All the steps you take during the day count even walking around the house. If you wear a pedometer you can see your total for the day and whether you are reaching the 10,000. If you aren't, try increasing the number of steps per day by a small amount and build up to 10,000.:smile:

ellent1999 has the right idea....I'll wear a pedometer regardless of where I'm going. It's a real motivator if you're at 6 or 7k to keep you moving! We don't want to fool ourselves, but we need to look at everything we can do to keep moving :tongue: Get that 10k in everyday....I'll even put up the laundry ONE PILE @ A TIME :laugh: click click click ... one the greatest sounds of all :flowerforyou:

It's ALL good :happy:
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    I do not add normal activity. For me grocery shopping is just part of my normal activity.
  • kimmiebear70
    kimmiebear70 Posts: 384 Member
    I will add it IF I'm there for more than an hour, then I only count half of my time at 2.0 mph.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I only count intentional exercise (unless it's carrying boxes/ moving.... since those are really rare activities...). Everything else is the living I was doing when I got fat, so it clearly wasn't enough to maintain a healthy weight.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    I have my activity level as sedentary (desk job) so I would definitely count a shopping trip over 30 minutes. I count a walk around the company building at a slow pace. I figure if I'm off my butt and moving (which my body isn't used to doing) then I'm counting it. And now that I have an HRM I'll be wearing it for every "extra" thing I do....including taking clothes to the laundromat! lol