Insults

Replies

• It's strange because, the ones like that one I posted earlier was a throw away comment. I just don't think people realise how hurtful they are.

Even this morning, it wasn't until I said that he'd hurt my feelings that he appologised but the damage is already done by that point.

I wouldn't mind the comments, if I made them back but I wouldn't dream of saying anything like that to anyone!

My other favourite, told to me by my grandfather was, 'two hundred years ago, your physique was considered the ideal female form.'

You can't help but laugh uncomfortably at these comments.

I wonder if it something women experience more often than men?
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Awww :( I'm so sorry all of you have had people be so ignorant...My worst one was when I was pregnant. I was at the beach and I had ordered a slice of pizza. I was dabbing the grease off because it was dripping and gross, and a guy drove by slow and literally to my face was like," you know you like that grease...fatty" and drove off. :( I threw it in the trash and cried for awhile..pregnancy hormones lol but that was just plain mean, who does that
  • I remember when I was a kid my dad called me a lard *kitten*...that really hurt:brokenheart: .....the man that I loved and adored just had said something that would never stop ringing in my ears for the rest of my life....I know he had no ideal.:sad:
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Whoa! Don't put up with that. I hope he walked funny after that comment,.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    If any of you watch the Fox show Glee and are familiar with the new character, Lauren Zises, I just want to say that she embodies one of my high school fantasies. I was always a fat kid (except breifly in 6th grade when I went to weight watchers, lost a lot of weight and was mocked constantly by my classmate for being in WW), and I never had an insult ready and never pushed back in response to teasing and bullying. By high school I had given up fantasizing about being thin (mostly) and instead dreamed of being the tough chick who beat up the bullies.

Now I'm losing weight and taking karate. :bigsmile:
  • buffyjustme29
    buffyjustme29 Posts: 5 Member
    I got told by my mother when i was a teenager and about 154 pounds that at least you have the brains. She meant compared to my sisters, as a teenager i think i would have much prefered to be regarded as the beautiful one or the one with the perfect body.... hmmm brains.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    owie. hearing these stories hurts my heart for you. :(

Me too. Thankfully I have never been insulted (at least not that I know of) by anyone I know My very skinny daughter has even told me that people wouldn't look at me and think I am fat. This was when I was 184 and I am 5'6" I hae lost between 15 - 17 pounds and I know I look a lot better and being long torsoed with all my fat in the belly area I can hide it pretty well. People I know keep complimenting me all the time now. My husband is wonderful - even though he has always been very active he never has criticized me for my fat He is so enthustically supportive of me being an exercise nut now. Both my daughter and husband are eating better and never complain if we don't have treats in the house.
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    At a school medical when I was about 9 I was told by the visting doctor when asked to 'stood up straight' to assess posture that I looked like a screwed up ball of rubbish - does wonders for a young'uns self esteem.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Being married for 25 years and hearing all these dumb comments my husband makes, I tend to agree with the poster who said that your hubby probably didn't even realize he was insulting you. He probably meant the other people in your class, not you. They don't think like we do and are oftentimes confused when we react to something they said.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    My heart hurts for all of you.
    I was a "skinny chick" back in the day before kids so the only insults I received were because I was so short at 5'....got a lot of "can you reach that?" jokes.
    Anyway, I remember about a year ago my husband making a comment about his sisters weight gain after she had her 3rd child (first two were TWINS). I asked him why he would say something like that and he said, "well she's gotten fat". She weighed a good 30 lbs less than me at the time and we're the same height. I said, "if you think she's fat what in the world do you think of me???" He had no response except, "beautiful". Wtf? I told him he's blinded by love if he couldn't see that I was larger than she was.
  • naesdestiny
    naesdestiny Posts: 677 Member
    Just the other day my mom poked me in the belly and said you need to lose this! Hearing things like that will never make anyone feel better.

My ex husband told me that if I cared what I looked like then I wouldn't be fat. And he told me once that he didn't want to have sex with me because I was fat.

Some people can be so rude and hateful!
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    I used to get called "prego" by my older sister when I was younger..............but the worst insults came from complete strangers when I would be out and about...................after all these years I still remember them vividly and they have scarred me for the rest of my life..........I truely believe that's why my self esteem is so low...............my husband is wonderful though......never a negative comment comes out of his mouth and he always tells me I'm beautiful............which I never believe but mentally I am just scarred........:cry:
  • naesdestiny
    naesdestiny Posts: 677 Member
    The guy I am dating now tells me every morning "Good morning beautiful" and it makes me feel so good. I also have very low self esteem. Badly! And it affects every thing I do.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    OMG, are his balls in his throat? Cos I would have hit him so hard they would have ended up there.

A lady once asked when I was due which really hurt. My son was a toddler but i hadnt got rid of the weight.

Be proud of yourself, you're losing weight and exercising and doing this for yourself. The Biggest Loser is brilliant though for inspiring you.

We can do it :flowerforyou:
  • superninjatam
    superninjatam Posts: 44 Member
    While boarding with friends in a chalet, i did a spinning dance move. My friend called it a "fat pirouette" and everyone in the room pretended my belly had smacked the sides of their faces! *kitten*!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Oh, I know what you all mean. I'm in outside sales, and have customers I've known for 20 years. There is one in particular that always remarks on my weight. He doesn't hurt my feelings because he is nothing to me. But I often think to myself that I would NEVER go out of my way to hurt someone like that. When a friend or relative comments in a negative way about themselves, I'm te first one to say that they are beautiful the way they are.

my parents were not as nice to me though. My mom always commented to me about my weight. My dad always commented about how attractive my friends were. Never me though. To this day, he has never told me I'm beautiful, or even pretty. I have a terrible self image and I believe that this is partly why. But now as I've gotten older, I assume responsibility for any gain or loss. It's MY body. Who is anybody else to even have an opinion?? Ugh.
  • Ashtarot
    Ashtarot Posts: 52 Member

my parents were not as nice to me though. My mom always commented to me about my weight. My dad always commented about how attractive my friends were. Never me though. To this day, he has never told me I'm beautiful, or even pretty. I have a terrible self image and I believe that this is partly why. But now as I've gotten older, I assume responsibility for any gain or loss. It's MY body. Who is anybody else to even have an opinion?? Ugh.

Your dad was blind, your beautiful.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what the worst insult that you have been given was?

For me the ones that are the most difficult are the ones that are just below the belt.

My inspiration was today, I was watching the Biggest Loser UK and my other half said 'I can't believe the crap you make me watch, if I wanted to watch fat people work out, I would just follow you when you go to Zumba class.'

Nice.

WOW! He would be making his own dinner -- sleeping on the couch and I would not be speaking to him for a while after that one!
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    ugh, that was so mean!!!
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    That's plain old nasty. Sounds like you might want to lose more than just pounds... DO NOT put up with that.