My small accomplishment

I keep telling myself I need to cut out alcohol, especially beer. I know that I feel and look better when I don't drink it, and that it's just poison. But then when I'm in a social function, I forget about all of that and say "I'll have one"... which turns into two, then three.

Last night I was playing poker with friends, which we do every Wednesday night, and I didn't have a beer, even though they had Pacifico, which I really like.

I felt really good, like, I am in control, the beer isn't in control of me. I am going to try to make this work with other weaknesses of mine, like sweets, too many tortilla chips and salsa, etc.

I've realized it's the small things that count. I want long-term process but I have to get there by being healthy every day.

Replies

• neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    I keep telling myself I need to cut out alcohol, especially beer. I know that I feel and look better when I don't drink it, and that it's just poison. But then when I'm in a social function, I forget about all of that and say "I'll have one"... which turns into two, then three.

Last night I was playing poker with friends, which we do every Wednesday night, and I didn't have a beer, even though they had Pacifico, which I really like.

I felt really good, like, I am in control, the beer isn't in control of me. I am going to try to make this work with other weaknesses of mine, like sweets, too many tortilla chips and salsa, etc.

I've realized it's the small things that count. I want long-term process but I have to get there by being healthy every day.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    that is great! One day at a time. being a recovering addict I can tell ya it can be done, God willing next month i will be clean from all drugs (including alcohol) for 2 years. It feels great. One of the things i have started doing is applying the 12 steps of narcotics anonymous to my eating and wow it works for that too!! Anyway congratulations and that is a big accomplishment!!! whoo hoo:tongue::flowerforyou: :drinker: <<< that is water!!! :happy:
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    You know my dear:flowerforyou: that's not what I would call a small acomplishment. It takes some of us a lot longer, to realise that the jurney to being healthy is the small steps that we take, day in and day out. Anytime I have done the whole "Diet" thing I fell of the wagon and got discuraged or I lost a lot and went straight back to my old habits. This time it's going to be slow and I think by changin little things at a time it might be for the long haul.
  • stacystar
    stacystar Posts: 175 Member
    Small accomplishments add up to huge success
  • jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    That first time is really tough! But you did it and we are sooo proud of you! -- I gave up mojo cookies from costco -- they are these huge chocolate chip cookies and they are addictive -- hense "mojo" like the weed!:laugh: BUT I DID IT and YOU DID IT --there is hope yet !!!!
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Good for you! :flowerforyou:

You found control, and especially at a social event when you do normally drink......much better than I would've done! But, i do have to say I don't think alcohol is poison. Everything in moderation. Plain and simple. A glass of wine with dinner, or a couple beers at a cookout is just fine for me. But if your demons are easier to fight by omitting them, so be it! Everyone has their own battles and it's how we fight them! So congrats on your first win! :wink:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    good job. You'll feel better with out it.
  • :flowerforyou: Congrats to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    I totally agree with everything you guys just said.

And soup, I agree, everything in moderation but alcohol seems to be MY poison-- my addiction like the Mojo cookies LOL-- so I should have clarified that. I have noticed that when I do drink a beer or two, I go over my calorie limit for the day-- I have a short/ small frame so I can't take in too many calories and still lose weight, and I would much rather spend the 150 calories from a beer on regular food that fills me up. Also I've been trying to spend time at the gym and I notice that my belly shrinks and I have a lot more definition there when I stay away from beer (as well as too much diet soda, but that one's easier for me).

I have no problem having a glass of wine or a cocktail at an event or a party with friends etc. But for me it seems to be on too regular a basis-- two or three beers at Wednesday night poker, another beer or two the next day when watching a movie with my boyfriend, etc. I want it to be more of a special treat or occasional indulgence, so I am really trying to say NO to just routine drinking.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. :)