Too Much Exercise?

Options
Is it possible? Right now, I'm burning, on average, about 1200 cal at the club, 4 days a week, plus another 1000 taking a daily walk with the wife, our dog. :tongue:
Soooooo.... considering that I start with a goal of eating 2010, then add in another 2200, that means I *should* eat 4200+ calories! :huh: Well,, simply put, I'm not eating that much at all! I abso luv to workout, and such, but should I pare back the exercise? (I just hate the thought of not burning those calories!!!! :mad: ).
Anyone else gone thru this in here? Any ideas are welcomed, and thanx! :happy:

Replies

• jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Is it possible? Right now, I'm burning, on average, about 1200 cal at the club, 4 days a week, plus another 1000 taking a daily walk with the wife, our dog. :tongue:
    Soooooo.... considering that I start with a goal of eating 2010, then add in another 2200, that means I *should* eat 4200+ calories! :huh: Well,, simply put, I'm not eating that much at all! I abso luv to workout, and such, but should I pare back the exercise? (I just hate the thought of not burning those calories!!!! :mad: ).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    I would read about exercise on line. I know there has been a lot of discussion on "too much exercise" here in the posts, as well. Go to the "Search" function and read the previous posts. Where are you finding the time for that much execise!? :laugh: ...unless most of it is weights! But if you are doing that much, then you should eat the allotted calories you earn.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Good luck to you in your weight loss! Sounds like you have the right attitude. Go jamerz.

:glasses:
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    weee ha! i tend to have the problem of burning more than i can eat also, which we know is bad bad bad!!
    do you happen to have a heart rate monitor? that is a good way to get an accurate reading so that you know how much you really need to eat back.

you also have to consider the calories you would have burned anyway, if you hadn't done anything at all. For example, say you burn 100 calories an hour doing nothing at all. Then say you take a walk that burns 500 calories. Technically, you really burned just 400 calories, since you would have burned 100 doing nothing anyway...make sense?

Ive been reading alot about this lately... also...1000 seems high for a walk... how long of a walk are ya taking? If you have an HRM reading 1000...then walk on! but if you are using an estimation, that may be a little high for a walk unless it is a 3 hour or more walk uphill (depending of course)...

Your attitude towards losing ROCKS!!!! I know it always seems like alot of calories to make up...but eat those calories because you earned them!!! (plus having too much exercise must be better than none regardless of how many calories you take in!) so proud of you guys!
  • jamerz3294
    Options
    We're self employed, so the good side is that I *can* get to the club, and take walks and such. Of course, there's also the bit about paying bills, and actually doing work at 10 pm :huh:
    I do use a HRM, 'cause all the estimators, and even the machines in the gym, are way off for me. But then again, being 50+ pounds overweight also means that my body has to work a lot harder at doing the same job as a body that is in better condition. W'ee typically go on a walk that's not quite a mile, but up and down 40 ft bluffs, on and off the beach, up and down hills, etc...
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    sounds like a beautiful excuse to exercise! I am jealous!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    So you're walking about 4-5+ miles a day plus gym stuff?
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Man I don't have an answer for ya .. but I'm envious that you can burn over 1000 calories at the gym :happy:
  • mtpage04
    mtpage04 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You might want to re-evaluate the kind of calories you are consuming. If you are interested in developing lean muscle mass, you might try increasing the grams of lean protein you are getting daily. If you are not eating 5 to 6 small meals daily, you might want to try this as well. It helps to regulate your metabolism so your body won't go into "starvation" mode and slow down in self preservation. Good Luck!!
  • jamerz3294
    Options

Nope, walking about a mile a day plus exercise.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

Nope, walking about a mile a day plus exercise.

Now I am jealous too!! I only burn 70 calories for walking a mile at work (three times around the parking lot is a mile) - I wore my HRM and was surprised. I thought at least 100-120. Only a lousy 70 calories?? :grumble:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options

I hope your calculations are correct but I'd be cautious. When I weighed 256 pounds I'd walk for 20 minutes at about 3 miles an hour (that's a mile) and only burn about 200 calories. Even now, if I walk for 60 minutes on the incline trainer on high intervals I'll only burn about 600 to 650 calories an hour. If you're burning calories at that rate then you should be dropping weight extremely quickly. Are you? A heart rate monitor may be more accurate than other estimates, but it is still an estimate.

As for the other questions. I don't think it's possible to work out too much. Sometimes common sense has to prevail. Are you hungry, light headed, experiencing physical difficulty? If you feel good, your energy is high, your eyes, skin and hair are all healthy and you're losing weight at a reasonable pace then you're probably eating enough.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    If you're really burning that much and not eating those calories, then I think it would depend on HOW MANY of those calories you're not eating and HOW OFTEN that happens. If you're leaving too many uneaten on a regular basis then it can be problamatic, as you would be doing the same as not eating enough to begin with because of the large deficit you would be creating.

It is possible to have a negative intake for the day, too--did that once when I burnt up 3800 calories riding and only eat about 3000 for the day. At some point, it's difficult to eat more BUT you can eat small calorie high foods like PB, nuts, milk, etc.

You've got to a a net caloric consumption of at least 1200 on a consistent basis or you risk doing damage to your body and/or going into starvation mode. Not to mention that at some point, you're risking bonking seriously during exercise if you're not fueling your body--trust me, bonking is very bad, very bad.
  • jamerz3294
    Options
    Yeah... I was re-re-re-reading one of the Banks diatribes, and it hit me where he said that it's basically ok to stay somewhere between 500+ to 1000- on your net calories. So, I'll take a harder look at the net from each day. I am trying to spread the intake thru the whole day, so that should help some too. I'm just really nervous about hitting the dreaded plateau, and want to avoid that!
    I do feel good at the end of a workout, and all the usual indicators (eyes, hair, etc) are good as well. Nor do I feel light headed (except when I'm next to Ezzie :love: ).
    So, I think I'll stay the course for this week, and pay more scrutiny to net calories at the end of the day, and see what happens...
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If you're really burning that much and not eating those calories, then I think it would depend on HOW MANY of those calories you're not eating and HOW OFTEN that happens. If you're leaving too many uneaten on a regular basis then it can be problamatic, as you would be doing the same as not eating enough to begin with because of the large deficit you would be creating.

It is possible to have a negative intake for the day, too--did that once when I burnt up 3800 calories riding and only eat about 3000 for the day. At some point, it's difficult to eat more BUT you can eat small calorie high foods like PB, nuts, milk, etc.

You've got to a a net caloric consumption of at least 1200 on a consistent basis or you risk doing damage to your body and/or going into starvation mode. Not to mention that at some point, you're risking bonking seriously during exercise if you're not fueling your body--trust me, bonking is very bad, very bad.

I've bonked REALLY bad before...ugh:sick: I had apparently not eaten enough for lifting and then 45 min on the stairstepper at 'trip and fall' speed lol. I got off, felt a little woozy...then everything went black and I couldn't see where (or if) I was walking. I had to sign out of the gym and can remember sort of flopping my hand around on the keyboard before realizing I wasn't pressing anything. I had to go into the bathroom and lie down for 10 minutes.

In answer to the question...a lot of people associate 'overtraining' with 'too much exercise', but 99% of the time it's undernourishment that manifests itself as overtraining. The human body is capable of AMAZING feats of strength and endurance, but not unless we give it energy. You can't really exercise too much, but you can exercise too much for the energy you take in.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options

I've bonked REALLY bad before...ugh:sick: I had apparently not eaten enough for lifting and then 45 min on the stairstepper at 'trip and fall' speed lol. I got off, felt a little woozy...then everything went black and I couldn't see where (or if) I was walking. I had to sign out of the gym and can remember sort of flopping my hand around on the keyboard before realizing I wasn't pressing anything. I had to go into the bathroom and lie down for 10 minutes.

In answer to the question...a lot of people associate 'overtraining' with 'too much exercise', but 99% of the time it's undernourishment that manifests itself as overtraining. The human body is capable of AMAZING feats of strength and endurance, but not unless we give it energy. You can't really exercise too much, but you can exercise too much for the energy you take in.

Thanks, Songers. Good advice as always. Got pics of baby boys yet?? Maybe I should look at your profile?? :flowerforyou:

um....edit. No baby boys. Just pics of gorgeous body-builder chick. Heh-heh, that weeel geeet them lookin'. :wink:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Thanks, Songers. Good advice as always. Got pics of baby boys yet?? Maybe I should look at your profile?? :flowerforyou:

um....edit. No baby boys. Just pics of gorgeous body-builder chick. Heh-heh, that weeel geeet them lookin'. :wink:

LOL thanks! :blushing: Actually I thought I'd posted them, but now I've realized that I only posted them on my rat forum! I'll have to take new pics now because they're not babies anymore! :sad: They are gangley teenagers now hehe. One is becoming more snuggly, but the other one is still just like a kit hehe.