Osteoarthritis

Does anyone else suffer from this? My dad was recently diagnosed, and I hate seeing him in this much pain. Is there anything that can be done to alleviate the pain? He was prescribed pills that seem to take the edge off, but I'm trying to find out all I can for him. In one way his diagnosis was a blessing, because his story was very similar to my husband's grandfather's who just found out he has bone cancer, so I was very worried for awhile. I know osteoarthritis is painful as well, but it could be worse. Any ideas?

Replies

• peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Does anyone else suffer from this? My dad was recently diagnosed, and I hate seeing him in this much pain. Is there anything that can be done to alleviate the pain? He was prescribed pills that seem to take the edge off, but I'm trying to find out all I can for him. In one way his diagnosis was a blessing, because his story was very similar to my husband's grandfather's who just found out he has bone cancer, so I was very worried for awhile. I know osteoarthritis is painful as well, but it could be worse. Any ideas?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Now, I don't mean to compare your dad to my cat, but my cat is helped by warm weather and a glucosamine formula. I had a friend that also took a glucosamine formula and she believed in it. I would think a light massage would help as well - as long as the masseuse knew what they were doing. I can't be much more help, sorry.
  • I have osteoarthritis myself. Since I have lost some weight and started walking the symptoms have lessened- not gone away- but much easier to live with. I am also taking medication. I am not sure if your father is overweight but if he is, losing a few pounds will help a lot. Beth S
  • peej76
    Yep, my dad has been somewhat overweight his entire life and is really trying hard to get it off. This was one of his dr's first suggestions. Where would you find glucosamine formula.....a drugstore?
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Oh yeeeeah I gots it too! I was a jock in school, Football, Hockey, Track, gymnastics, etc etc..., So when I turned 40ish, I started to get it in my neck, and now it's pretty much in all my joints, and thru out my spinal column. Doing flexibility helps, as does good old cardio workouts! I've found that if I stay active, the pain is muchly reduced! Also, I take Ultram as a pain killer (it's non-narcotic) and either Ibuprofin, or Naproxen Sodium as anti infammatories. The Glucosamine stuff you can find at just about any drug store, or grocery store, or Sam's Club etc. Good luck and let us know how he does!
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Yes, I do also :cry: Warm (not piping hot) soaking baths in epsom salts seem to help as well as daily doses of calcium and magnesium.
  • I have it in my right hip. The pain is worse in the mornings and is affected by the weather. I take alleve, which helps some.
  • peej76
    Thanks everyone, I'll be taking him all of your suggestions, I'm sure they will all help!!!