Excercising too hard?

I started running awhile back and still working my way to that 5k. :wink: I notice that after a bit my face gets really read. Does that mean I'm working too hard?

Replies

• vegasmellie
    vegasmellie Posts: 118 Member
    I started running awhile back and still working my way to that 5k. :wink: I notice that after a bit my face gets really read. Does that mean I'm working too hard?
  • nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Sorry not sure. im sure my face gets pretty red during a work out though.
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    I think it just depend on the person. When my daughter and I work out together at the gym my face turns beet red and her face stays as beautiful as when she started. I've noticed there aren't a lot of people who turn really red. I don't know what that means but oh Well.:blushing:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Nope, it's just your amazing body's way of keeping cool. Capillaries open up to allow more blood near the surface of the skin so it can be cooled by the ambient temperature. You will get red all over when you're working hard.
  • vegasmellie
    ok, thanks for the replies. I don't get red when I do the elliptical so it worried me a bit.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Nope, it's just your amazing body's way of keeping cool. Capillaries open up to allow more blood near the surface of the skin so it can be cooled by the ambient temperature. You will get red all over when you're working hard.

Hey! Thanks so much for that info:flowerforyou: ...I'm a 'cause why girl'...so I love to soak in info.....:tongue:
  • Hello fellow red-facer! I am just curious, do you sweat much? I hardly sweat, and sometimes I wish I would b/c it feels like my face is going to burn off!! :devil: I've always felt that my 'internal thermostat' is a little off. Just curious if the red-faceness is correlated with low perspiration for you also!?
  • i used to now sweat and get rosy when i worked out in the past, till i learned how to truly work out! now i get sweaty all over, everywhere, hair soaked, and face very red. i think it truly depends on your effort. i run the treadmil at 6.5 or 7 mph for 20-30 min and it really gets me going.

of course we have variations in our bodies, but what i learned from tri-athletes and trainers is that if you're not sweating, you're not really working out!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Ha....I went to the park for my 2 mile walk last weekend. DH has been trying to be supportive (after blowing up that he NEEDS MEAT!) He sat quietly with his doggie and watched me work out. I liked that he saw how hard I worked at it so the 'have a nice little walk' comments would end.

When I was done I asked if he wanted to go see a freind down the street. He looked at me kinda funny and said, maybe later.

I was perplexed at the look on his face, so I asked why. he told me to look in the mirror.

I was bright red, blotchy and as I watched my temp get back to normal I looked like a halloween mask! Oh MY!!

He has never called it my 'little walk' again!:laugh:
  • Facial redness is somewhat normal, listen more to heart rate and rhythm, respiratory rate, joint or muscle pain (no soreness), etc.
  • vegasmellie
    Hello fellow red-facer! I am just curious, do you sweat much?

you bet your booty I sweat!

I'm afraid people are looking at me like, "she's outta shape". like fit people's bodies wouldn't react that way.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member

Nice to know.
    Maybe I can burn that into my brain so I won't feel like an out-of-shape, overweight fattie when I turn beet red working out every day! :laugh:
    But no pain, no gain.... so if my red face is my "pain" (vainity), then so be it. I'm working it hard to lose this weight!