Manhattan Crab Chowder

Options
Healthier_Me
Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
If you like Manhattan clam chowder, you'll love how delicious our version is when made with crab. Take your time to finely dice the vegetables and the soup will cook faster. Make it a meal: All you need is crusty bread or oyster crackers and a tossed salad and you've got dinner.

Makes 6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each

ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 40 minutes

EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup finely diced onion
1 cup finely diced cored fennel bulb, plus 2 tablespoons chopped fronds, divided
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups precooked diced potatoes (see Tip)
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
1 pound pasteurized crabmeat, drained if necessary

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, fennel bulb, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are just starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Add broth, water and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, crab and fennel fronds. Return to a boil, stirring often; immediately remove from heat.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 211 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 88 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrate; 19 g protein; 3 g fiber; 647 mg sodium; 513 mg potassium.

Nutrition bonus: Iron (35% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Calcium (15% dv).

1 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings

Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat

TIP: We call for convenient canned crushed tomatoes, but you only need 2 cups; store leftover tomatoes in an airtight container for 1 week in the refrigerator or months in the freezer.

Note: Look for precooked diced potatoes in the refrigerated section of most supermarket produce departments—near other fresh, prepared vegetables.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/manhattan_crab_chowder.html

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Options
    If you like Manhattan clam chowder, you'll love how delicious our version is when made with crab. Take your time to finely dice the vegetables and the soup will cook faster. Make it a meal: All you need is crusty bread or oyster crackers and a tossed salad and you've got dinner.

Makes 6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each

ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 40 minutes

EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 cup finely diced onion
    1 cup finely diced cored fennel bulb, plus 2 tablespoons chopped fronds, divided
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
    1 1/2 cups water
    2 cups precooked diced potatoes (see Tip)
    2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
    1 pound pasteurized crabmeat, drained if necessary

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, fennel bulb, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are just starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
    2. Add broth, water and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, crab and fennel fronds. Return to a boil, stirring often; immediately remove from heat.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 211 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 88 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrate; 19 g protein; 3 g fiber; 647 mg sodium; 513 mg potassium.

Nutrition bonus: Iron (35% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Calcium (15% dv).

1 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings

Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat

TIP: We call for convenient canned crushed tomatoes, but you only need 2 cups; store leftover tomatoes in an airtight container for 1 week in the refrigerator or months in the freezer.

Note: Look for precooked diced potatoes in the refrigerated section of most supermarket produce departments—near other fresh, prepared vegetables.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/manhattan_crab_chowder.html
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    OK now this has my mouth watering...I will make it this weekend.

Thanks again!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I'm right along with you!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • maybeoneday
    Options
    it sounds good. i have a stupid question what is fennel?
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    they say it has a liorice type taste
    looks like an onion with long green stems
  • maybeoneday
    Options
    ooh. do you think it woiuld taste k without it. i don't like licorish
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I don't like licorice either.