pregnancy scare

I'm having pregnancy scare and I have probably a week before It would show up on a test. so I'm just asking this question in advance, probably a bit premature, but is this site and fitness plan ok to use while pregnant? I know from experience that you need to eat extra calories when pregnant and you shouldn't try to lose weight while pregnant, but is it still ok to use this site and count calories and record exercise? oh I'm gonna be a little bummed if I am pregnant....I was getting soooo excited about getting down to my goal weight!!!

Replies

• I'm having pregnancy scare and I have probably a week before It would show up on a test. so I'm just asking this question in advance, probably a bit premature, but is this site and fitness plan ok to use while pregnant? I know from experience that you need to eat extra calories when pregnant and you shouldn't try to lose weight while pregnant, but is it still ok to use this site and count calories and record exercise? oh I'm gonna be a little bummed if I am pregnant....I was getting soooo excited about getting down to my goal weight!!!
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    My friend just found out she was pregnant a few weeks ago and was just starting to diet. Her doctor said not to restrict calories, just to eat a balanced diet. However, depending on the amount of weight you have to lose your doctor may have some different suggestions for you.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    A woman I met while working, lost 80 lbs (she was very over weight) while pregnant and then (get this!!) looked AMAZING afterwards LOL
    So, it IS do-able with a Dr's cautious eye- but she was monitored I believe. Good luck!!!
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    I want to have another child soon and I plan to use this site when I am pregnant. I will have to adjust some things of course, like eat more and probably not exercie as hard. I will talk to my doctor or midwife about it first to make sure I do things right. I want to come out of the pregnancy in better shape than I did my last one!
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    The latest research says that women with a BMI over 30 probably don't need to gain any weight while pregnant and that past advice about "eating for two" is more cultural than scientific.

I'm not a doctor or nutritionist but everything I've read suggests that you (and the baby) should be fine if you eat a healthy, balanced diet and don't do anything crazy like severely restrict calories or water. A growing fetus will take the nutrients it needs from your body if necessary. Be sure that you are getting enough calcium. I had a friend who was deathly ill (all-day type morning sickness) for her entire pregnancy. She couldn't keep anything down. Her teeth got loose (but didn't fall out) because the baby had taken so much calcium from her bones!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    I would call your doctor.
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    My friend just started dieting and found out she was pregnant a few weeks ago. She asked her doctor if she could continue, and he told her - No dieting, but the exercise was ok. (mild exercising!)

So I would think you would still be able to use this site, just ask your doctor what a pregnant woman's caloric intake should be, and then up your calories.
  • thank you everybody! I'm really hoping that this is just a false alarm, but I will definitely talk to my doc. about it.
  • kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    I think there might have been some rules put out there about posting links to other web sites, but here goes anyway - when I was pregnant last year I suscribed to a free web page called www.babyfit.com and I thought it was great. Pretty similar to this site but designed for women who are pregnant.

(If I just broke a rule about posting links, sorry)
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Definitely speak with your doctor. Generally dieting is not suggested while pregnant. Just eating a healthy balanced diet.

And I exercised throughout both my pregnancies. There are some great videos/DVDs out there geared specifically toward pregnant women. Let me know and if your interested, I'll PM you and let you know my thoughts on all of them. :happy:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I used to take an aerobic step class with a pregnant woman, and she also did a weightlifting class. She went in and did step the day she went into labor! She was better than I was at step and she was 9 months preggy hahahah :laugh: Of course you shouldn't do anything too strenuous for your current fitness level (she was very active before her pregnancy) but you can remain active the whole 9 months.:smile: When my stepmom got pregnant with my little brother, she didn't try to diet or anything, but she obviously stopped drinking and ate very well. After she gave birth, she found that she was 5 lbs lighter than when she got pregnant! You may find that adopting very healthy habits for your baby will do well for you too.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Hi Pammy,

If you are pregnant, you can go to babyfit.com
    It does the same thing MFP is doing for you plus a bit more due to the pregnancy.
    I used babyfit during my last pregnancy and I loved it.
    Gained only 21 pounds and it helped me remember to take my prenatal vitamins and other things.

Good luck!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • Thanks! IF I am pregnant I will definitely check out babyfit.com.