Give me the push to let my bigger clothes go

Options
Hi everyone

I started this site In Jan and between Jan and May lost almost 30 pounds
I went from a size 10/large to a size 4/5 and medium
We just moved 2 years ago, so I don't have lots of stuff and I'm not big on collecting/accumulating anything
Anyway, my mom asked me to come by and help her with a yard sale this week
It's going to be HUUUUGE
Anyway, I have a box of my 'heavy' clothes down the basement....just can't seem to part with them....

Give me the nudge I need to get rid of this stuff!
I'm trying to at least get rid of the size 10's but keep the 8's when I bought nice quality clothes before I had kids..LOL
Does that make any sense?

Kim

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I started this site In Jan and between Jan and May lost almost 30 pounds
    I went from a size 10/large to a size 4/5 and medium
    We just moved 2 years ago, so I don't have lots of stuff and I'm not big on collecting/accumulating anything
    Anyway, my mom asked me to come by and help her with a yard sale this week
    It's going to be HUUUUGE
    Anyway, I have a box of my 'heavy' clothes down the basement....just can't seem to part with them....

Give me the nudge I need to get rid of this stuff!
    I'm trying to at least get rid of the size 10's but keep the 8's when I bought nice quality clothes before I had kids..LOL
    Does that make any sense?

Kim
  • meschouse
    Options
    Let me ask you this...........do you want to wear them again?? They may be nice, but do you want them to fit? I'm betting the answer is "NO!" So, get rid of them or they could become a security blanket. Like, well if I put on a little I'll still have clothes to wear. KWIM? If you really love them and just want them in a good home, give them to a friend. Or sell them and be proud that you're making a little money off them AND you don't need them! Great job, by the way!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I've finally started QUICKLY getting rid of my 'big' clothes.
    It took me a long time to decide to purge my closet of those 'big' clothes.
    But I refuse to gain that weight back.
    They are a crutch, my safety net, 'if I gain the weight back...'
    NO. Stop that line of thinking.
    If it's a money issue-- "I spent so much on them"-- then price them higher at the yard sale or take them to a consignment shop.
    Get rid of them. And buy new stuff in your size!!!
  • cassangelidy
    Options
    Or give them to a womans shelter. They are ALWAYS in need to nice "job clothes". You can use it as a tax right off AND feel good about helping someone who can't afford such nice things.

If you are a 4...I could understand why you wouldn't want 10's anymore...but why even keep the 8's?? I agree with Meschouse, it could become a security blanket.

You have done a wonderful job losing the weight...now its time to move past the old image and on to the new one!!
  • CristaAmy
    Options
    I am a firm believer in getting rid of things that you no longer need or use.

I really like the idea of donating your clothes to the woman's shelter that cassangelidy stated. Help others and clear out some space in your home. Besides, what if something happens to them heaven forbid (i.e., moths, moisture damage) .... now they are just trash.
  • NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yes-Best to get rid of them!! No point in keeping them around, because you aren't gaining that weight back, right?

As for the nice, good quality 8's...Could you get them tailored?? I don't know if they could be made small enough to fit you, but maybe?? That would be better than to have them sitting in the basement, or for you to be swimming in them if you tried to wear them!!
  • NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Oh, and also-30 pounds from January to May? So me wanting to lose 20-25 pounds in 4 months isn't too crazy???
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them, sell them or give them away. A couple of weeks ago I went through my closet and took all them big clothes and shipped them out. It felt great. I will never be that size again dont need them. I gave them away and I felt good that some one else would be able to use them. You can do this :drinker:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone

I lost 27/28 pounds from Jan to May...I don't think it's unrealistic
    I also ate more cals than the site rec...just felt right from me (I would eat 1400-1500)

Now, I've been eating 2000 cals a day (approx) and keeping it off

Thanks again for the advice/suggestions...Kim
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    tailor anything thats worth it to the size you are now and get rid of the rest of it! Nothing makes gaining weight easier than having the clothes to wear once you do.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I would take a few special pieces to a good tailor and donate the rest. If you think that taking something down approx 2 sizes ( 8 to a large 4 or small 6) would work then they whould come out OK. I did that with several pairs of good work slacks that cost me too much money to just give away.
    If they need to come down more than 2 sizes they dont usually come out well ( the belt loops are to close together ect).

Give away everything else so you dont have a crutch to fall back on...........
    Congrats on your great job!
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I say get rid of them.

HOwever, I am having a hard time taking my own advice. I am now a size 10/12 depending on the brand. I was a 24 when I started my diet. I have BOXES and BOXES of clothes in my back storage room. I NEVER want to gain that weight again but at the same time I am so scared to get rid of them. That's A LOT of $$ worth of clothes!! All Lane Bryant pretty much.

But you are ALL right, they're a security blanket that I should BURN lol!
  • Skittles6617
    Skittles6617 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If I had absolute favorites, I would see if they could be altered..
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them. I firmly believe they contain "failure energy". Keeping them allows just the kernel of "I could gain it all back. . .better keep them just in case. . ." to enter your mind. Live in the present! Only have clothes that fit your current body. (I feel the same about buying clothes too small in the hope they "might fit someday")

Honor your body and your success. Give them, if they're high quality to an women's shelter or a group called "dress for success" that helps women get nice clothes to transition into employment from welfare. They knew me by name for a while when I was losing. . .:flowerforyou: